Asus Z87 motherboards - Successful Stories installing Mavericks

mariosk9gr

32 posts in this topic

All right. I have sleep working, clover booting off the EFI partition on my SSD (which decreased my boot time from around 1:30 to about 10 seconds, even quicker if I take out IOPlatformPlugins.kext--can't even see the spinner then), bluetooth and wifi using the new broadcom kext from toledo (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290187-a-guide-to-mavericks-on-asus-z87-deluxe-4770k/?p=1964279). I also have AppleHDA (modified for ALC1150) working using the HDAEnabler.kext.

I have a couple issue though:

1. Everytime I boot from clover, my wallpaper on my second monitor is reset to either the stock os x wallpaper or whatever monitor 1 is set to... this is annoying because monitor 2 is actually my primary. It does not do this when I boot from a fresh install of chameleon off of a USB (with no DSDT or anything special). I even made sure the UUID matches up on my clover boot with my chameleon boot, still no dice.

2. Cannot get my keyboard to pair. It will say connecting and then connect and then pairing failed after a while. I've had this happen before, I just don't know what fixed it. I've removed the bluetooth preferences file and that didn't help.

3. Sometimes when I reboot, my computer will just go to a black screen and nothing happens. I just noticed this a few times when I was doing a bunch of restarts trying to fix my wallpaper issue.

Everytime I reboot, my wallpaper is reset and I have a new desktop added in mission control. Sometimes I'll have like 10 desktops I have to close in mission control ( they are basically virtual desktops) it's like it think I have a new video card in every reboot....

The Preview app also crashes everytime I try to open anything. I have even tried copying the preview app for my actual MacBook Pro.

If anyone has ideas if really appreciate any help.

I migrated recently to an SSD, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Seems like if I enable the login screen, it doesn't do it as often. Or maybe it was because I created another user account.

I actually cloned from my hard drive to the SSD

• 1 month later...

Asus Sabertooth Z87 + 4770k happily purring with Mavericks (10.9.1)

Thanks to the Pandora'S Box 1.34 Beta2 that allowed me to boot the stick and install.

I'll probably be updating this post with details after i recreate it on a larger (permanent ssd), when i was googling for information regarding successful install, i only came across one ML install that had issues with ALC1150 kext being missing.

Right now my install was not free of tools "from that other, not supported site", so i'd like to redo it without using any of that (in essence i just need to prepare having the E1000 kext and ALC1150 kext ready to go from this site) and i'll use details from that then, i'm typing on my macbook right now, so i'll post things like the chameleon boot plist when i get to desktop.

All else is pure Pandora's box magic anyway.

From all I read I did expect not to need GraphicsEnabler=yes, but i needed it for my IGP to show that kext are loaded, with only IGPEnabler=yes it identifies it as HD4600 but is running on VESA drivers only.

I think this thread is a great idea even if i had to go with "well, there are at least Asus z87 success stories, even if there are only guesses about sabertooth z87"

Really thrilled that there is nothing I need that doesn't work.