Installing Mavericks over Mountain Lion

adamsweeting

9 posts in this topic

People.... I seek some guidance!

I have ML installed on my Hack. I installed using downloaded ML from App Store, using MyHack. I am not using any DSDT - I have everything working using modified kexts.

I have downloaded the Mavericks installer app from the App Store, and it's sitting in my applications folder, I have also created a new MyHack bootable USB.

Am I good to just run the Mavericks install app, or should I be thinking about booting off the USB install I have created, and doing a clean install?

Thoughts please....

I've done it both ways.  I had a fairly new installation of ML on a laptop and I installed Mav over top of it and updated some of the modified kexts.  In another case, I had a very well-used installation that I wanted to start over clean, so I made a fresh installation.  With the fresh installation, you have to bring over any files you wish to retain.

No, I had to create a USB installer with Mavericks on it and installed from that.  If you are running the Clover bootloader, I understand you can install from the app.

I always keep two installations of OSX on my machine, although I'm moving to having the 2nd installation on a bootable USB flash drive.  I installed Mavericks overtop of one installation and then used the 2nd one to make any fixes.  Then reversed the process to bring the 2nd installation up to Mav.

If you have your modified kexts on your USB installer, then when the installation is finished, I believe you can go to the Utilities menu and invoke Terminal and use it to install the remaining kexts.

Hey!

I tried to run Mavericks installer from ML.  Didnt work for me so i've had to use myHack. The thing is that i can still see osx install drive in clover. Any idea how to remove it? Dont want to just hide disk in config.

Mavericks installed, all hardware working. So thanks guys for the words of advice.

I dug out a super fast 64Gb SD card and did a fresh install of Mavericks to that. Got all my hardware up and running, then moved all my apps (Logic Pro etc) over from my ML drive using Migration Assistant.

Going to test out my apps on Mavericks for a couple of days booting off this SD card to make sure they play nicely with Mavericks before I clone my SSD.

I just did an upgrade of my ML system, and it went remarkably well.  I spent more time struggling with unrelated driver issues from Cakewalk and the hilarious Gigabyte-board-that-can't-boot-from-USB-drives-issue that I completely forgot I had.

I did a sort of hybrid App Store/Install disk installation.  I prepared a spare hard drive (users with non-broken motherboards can use a USB drive) following this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/

I moved my functioning Extra folder over to that.  I'm using a DSDT for my mainboard, Chameleon 2.2 r2266 with the FileNVRAM module, and a reasonable SMBIOS from the Chameleon wizard.

I started the installer app from my main system, and when prompted to reboot, I rebooted into my spare drive.  The installer automatically took over and installed with no input from me.

As my main drive already had my Extra and Chameleon installed, and FakeSMC was still in S/L/E, I simply rebooted into Mavericks.

Easy peasy.