Mavericks on HDD Partition

powermapler

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of my first Hackintosh installation, but have been stopped at the actual installation of the OS. The guide I'm following suggests that all data on my HDD will be erased, due to formatting incompatibilities between OSX and Windows.

The current setup I'm using is an SSD as my Windows drive, with a supplementary HDD for data/games etc. My goal is to install Mavericks onto a partition of this HDD, which is currently sitting as unallocated space. 

Is this possible, without erasing any data on the HDD? 

Thanks.

i5-4670k

Asus GTX 770

Asus Sabertooth Z87

Samsung 840 Pro SSD

WD Black 1TB

Corsair 750W PSU 

I believe it is MBR, as I have been using it with Windows. 

The picture below shows my current partition layout. 

http://i.imgur.com/AGD5CNR.png

If it was an EFI drive, it wouldn't be an issue.

Open up Diskpart from CMD.exe and convert your hard drive to a GUID partition scheme

EDIT: Err

I was wrong. Searching Google for a solution

Sorry, could you explain how to do this? 

My understanding was that in order to switch between MBR and GUID, all partitions had to be erased and reformatted, and Microsoft's support site reflects this. 

:blush:

EDIT: Saw your edit after my post.  :P

Ok, I'll give that a go. Thanks.

It worked! Thanks! 

I have my bootable USB drive ready -- do I proceed with the installation? Will there be an option to select the correct partition without deleting the rest of the data? 

Sorry, could you explain how to do this? 

My understanding was that in order to switch between MBR and GUID, all partitions had to be erased and reformatted, and Microsoft's support site reflects this. 

:blush:

EDIT: Saw your edit after my post.  :P

Ok, I'll give that a go. Thanks.

It worked! Thanks! 

I have my bootable USB drive ready -- do I proceed with the installation? Will there be an option to select the correct partition without deleting the rest of the data? 

Yes

Open up Disk Utility and format that partition to HFS+

So, it looks like I don't have the option to do that. Apparently the disk needs to be repaired, but it won't let me do that either. This is what it looks like: 

http://i.imgur.com/BDHj0VW.jpg

Boot back to Windows. Format the partition as FAT32. Reboot into OS X install and try to format it to HFS+ again

EDIT: Ensure that you have an EFI partition before the partition that you are trying to install OS X on. Ensure that this EFI partition is formatted as Fat32 and that it is 209MB

It looks like the smallest I can make the EFI is 256mb. Is that okay? 

Reformatting to FAT32 did work, but I still don't seem to have the option to format it to anything else in Disk Utility. There is a partition option on the drive itself, but it seems I can't actually convert the partition to HFS+, unless I'm missing something. 

EDIT: This is what my current partitioning looks like: http://i.imgur.com/QrocE3Y.png

It looks like the smallest I can make the EFI is 256mb. Is that okay? 

Reformatting to FAT32 did work, but I still don't seem to have the option to format it to anything else in Disk Utility. There is a partition option on the drive itself, but it seems I can't actually convert the partition to HFS+, unless I'm missing something. 

Install this (its a 10 days full trial) http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

Format the partition as HFS+. Boot into the installer and try to install on the partition

I believe that program only works for reading HFS+ drives, not creating them. I couldn't figure out a way to format with it. 

However, I did realize what I was doing wrong in Disk Utility -- however, upon attempting to reformat, it tells me that there is insufficient space on the partition, despite it being 128GB. Quick Googling suggests that it has to do with a bad GUID configuration, but I have no idea where to go from here. 

I believe that program only works for reading HFS+ drives, not creating them. I couldn't figure out a way to format with it. 

However, I did realize what I was doing wrong in Disk Utility -- however, upon attempting to reformat, it tells me that there is insufficient space on the partition, despite it being 128GB. Quick Googling suggests that it has to do with a bad GUID configuration, but I have no idea where to go from here. 

Likewise

Well, I was able to format the drive properly with another piece of Paragon software, but that didn't work either. I think I'm done for today, as I've been at this for about 6 hours now, but it looks like this has something to do with the EFI. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow. 

Thanks for the help!  :)