10.9 wake problem

Keny Hu

11 posts in this topic

I just finished upgrading my OS X to 10.9 from 10.7.5 on my computer with following specification:

• Intel SandyBridge 2500k
  • Nvidia Geforce 460GTX
  • Gigabyte Z68X UD3 B3

I used vanilla Maverisks from AppStore and patched it myself using the latest Chameleon. Everything works perfectly: graphics faster than before, ethernet (Realtek RTL8111e), audio (Realtek ALC889), USB 3.0, AppStore, iMessage, etc. The only issue is that once my computer gets to sleep, I cannot wake it up by pressing any key or moving my mouse. When I press my keyboard, it just doesn't react (eg: caplock key)

I patched as few kexts as possible because I want to avoid repatching them each time when upgrading my system. I didn't patch anything in S/L/E except AppleHDA.kext for audio. I use a customized DSDT and a SSDT (since 10.7.3 to achieve SpeedStep).

My Chameleon configuration:

P-state generation, C-state generation, kernal flag -f -npci=0x2000, graphics enabler, ethernet enabler

Is there anyway to tell what caused the wake issue? Any test that I can run? Thanks.

if you use SSDT  you need only DroppSSDT=Yes

quit this flag P-state generation, C-state generation

sleep:Proper combination for sleep is: 

1) patched HPET, TIMR, RTC, PIC sections

2) patched EHCI/UHCI sections

3) patched AppleLPC kext to match chipset id

4) removed NullCPUPowerManagement, 

5) patched AppleRTC kext to solve CMOS reset after sleep

And what about pressing Power button. Is it the same?

Yes, pressing the Power button won't wake up the computer either :(

if you use SSDT  you need only DroppSSDT=Yes

quit this flag P-state generation, C-state generation

sleep:Proper combination for sleep is: 

1) patched HPET, TIMR, RTC, PIC sections

2) patched EHCI/UHCI sections

3) patched AppleLPC kext to match chipset id

4) removed NullCPUPowerManagement, 

5) patched AppleRTC kext to solve CMOS reset after sleep

I am not 100% sure but I think I should have patched those sections already since sleep worked well back to 10.7.5... and I don't have NullCPUPowerManagement...

Could you explain what the use of setting DropSSDT=yes is? The reason I use a customized SSDT is because otherwise TurboBoost and SpeedStep won't work after 10.7.3 upgrade and after I use SSDT, my CPU frequency does jump up and down regarding to the load properly (even without DropSSDT = yes). Another thing is, in 10.7.3-5, if I remove the SSDT, the CPU will be locked to a constant frequency but otherwise okay, but in 10.9, without SSDT I will get a KP when booting, saying "p-state stepper error 18 at step 2".

Take a look at your IOreg and find out if you have ACPIMVers and PerformanceStayArray 

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/CPU0@0/AppleACPICPU/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin

If you already have all of that, it means your speedstep works. To be sure for 100% you can use CPUSensors watching how it works. Changing of frequency.

I take a bet that you have problem with USB. Do you use USBBusFix=Yes?

Take a look at your IOreg and find out if you have ACPIMVers and PerformanceStayArray 

IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/CPU0@0/AppleACPICPU/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin

If you already have all of that, it means your speedstep works. To be sure for 100% you can use CPUSensors watching how it works. Changing of frequency.

I take a bet that you have problem with USB. Do you use USBBusFix=Yes?

I will check IOReg when I am back home from work. I did use MSRDumper when in 10.7.4 and observed all P-states I specified in my custom SSDT, so I assume SpeedStep does work? I am not sure if SSDT is related to the wake issue though...

I didn't find any apparent issue with USB and I don't have USBBusFix = Yes. At least all USB 2.0 and 3.0 hubs work just fine. (with the latest GenericUSBXHCI in /Extra/Extensions otherwise 3.0 won't work)

USBs can work excellent but something can  hinder to wake your system up. I was either formerly with my computer. After I did Patch in DSDT + USBBusFix(to disable USB1.1) it began to work with Chameleon.

Or can use Clover or XPC they didn't require this patch for USB in comparison with Chameleon. But this fix for USB is not so complex at DSDT.

You can upload your DSDT, I can take a look at it tomorrow

USBs can work excellent but something can  hinder to wake your system up. I was either formerly with my computer. After I did Patch in DSDT + USBBusFix(to disable USB1.1) it began to work with Chameleon.

Or can use Clover or XPC they didn't require this patch for USB in comparison with Chameleon. But this fix for USB is not so complex at DSDT.

I tested MSRDumper on my new system, which returned 10/23/13 6:15:06.000 PM kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 17 18 19 20 34 35 36 37 I assume that SSDT works? I did remember I put 38 in SSDT as well but it was never reached.

I found ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin but not the other 2.

DSDT & SSDT.zip

Finally I can wake my computer from sleep. What I did was just patching AppleRTL and putting the patched one under E/E.

There does seem to be some issue with the USB though, because when my computer wakes up, all external drives are unmounted.

• 2 months later...

I also have a problem waking up my hack (Samsung R780 laptop) with Mavericks.
I can sleep, but when I press the power button to wake up, I can hear the fans start spinning but the screen stays blank).
I'm using this dsdt:

With this dsdt I can wake with Snow Leopard.
What could be wrong?