Mac to Mac Ethernet File Sharing: both say Connected but cannot connect

Accelera8

20 posts in this topic

I am trying to connect my Lion 10.7.4 hackintosh desktop to my Mountain Lion 10.8.5 Late-2011 macbook pro via ethernet for file sharing. Both computers say they are connected to each other via ethernet, but they cannot see each other in Finder sidebar or connect to each other through 'Connect to Server'.

File sharing is on on both computers, firewalls are off on both.

When I connect the ethernet cable, Network Preferences both say green-light 'Connected' after a few seconds. Both computers configure IP addresses with Auto DHCP. However, I configured both manually to be more certain.

Computer 1:
IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Computer 2:
IP: 192.168.0.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

I turned WIFI off for both. Ethernet still says Connected on both.

I've tried browsing for each computer through 'Connect to Server'. Nothing shows up in Finder. Then, I try entering the Server address, such as afp://192.168.0.2. When I add a completely bogus address, I receive an error message right away:

"There was a problem connecting to the server "NameXXXX".
      The server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time..."

But if I enter the correct Server address, afp://192.168.0.1, it searches for the address for at least a minute before I receive the same error message.

Can anyone see what is going wrong?

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I am using a standard ethernet cable and have connected the computers to each other directly, no switch. I have checked the cable- Both computers are able to connect to the internet with it, so it is working.

Are you sure about the crossover? Everything I have read has stated Mac has not been using crossover for years; only a standard ethernet is used these days.

Yes, a lot of devices use automatic sensing to eliminate the need for a crossover cable. Is this feature implemented in the drivers used for ethernet on a Hack? i don't know as I haven't tried it on my machines.

I do know that the "EthernetBuiltIn' flag must be set in order for networking to work on a Hack. One can connect to the 'Net without that flag, but networking doesn't work without it.

From what I've found, a crossover cable isn't need for hackintoshes either. There isn't much discussion about file sharing, but I found this one thread that mentioned a standard cable will do:

(notice Burninator's comment toward the bottom...)

http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leopard-desktop-support/11792-i-have-set-up-file-sharing-between-2-macs-slow.html

I have checked my boot plist. EthernetBuiltIn is enabled.

Does it have something to do with the driver I've installed? I have Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90, and I am using the onboard NIC on my Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo.

I decided to experiment. I tried connecting two Hacks using a normal ethernet cable. Assigned IPs manually so they are on the same network. In Preferences ethernet showed as connected, but trying to connect from one computer to the other was a no go. Well, it tried but was extremely slow, so much so that eventually I received an error indicating a problem with the server.

I then connected the two computers via a switch (no router). Connecting from one computer to the other proceeded as normal.

I can surmise that using a crossover  cable should get the same results as connecting through the switch. Apparently, on Hacks the auto-sensing for ethernet connection does not work too well, resulting, at best, with a very slow connection when trying to connect two computers.

another couple quick questions:

does length of cable make a huge difference for transfer speeds?  7ft vs 14ft?

both ethernet cards ports are 1000BaseT.

which would you choose for speed to transfer a 50gb folder, given both cards are 1000BaseT?

7ft cat5e

7ft cat6

14ft cat5e

14ft cat6

From what I've found, a crossover cable isn't need for hackintoshes either. There isn't much discussion about file sharing, but I found this one thread that mentioned a standard cable will do:

to use or not to use a crossover/patch cable is hardware dependent. if your NIC is autosensing (most NEW nics are) then a straight cable will do, otherwise you need a router/switch/hub or a crossover/patched cable.

and here's to review your file sharing setup, just in case you missed something

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549?viewlocale=en_US

I have a fairly new mobo, Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 with a Realtek RTL8111E chip. I haven't found anything that states explicitly that this chip has auto-sensing, but my guess is it does. Do you know how I could find this out? The manual doesn't mention it as far as i know.

Going to try a crossover cable after it comes in the mail.

i have an update:

i've now connected the computers by crossover cable. crossover has caused a change, but i am still unable to share.

the computers are now connecting somehow, although they are still unable to see each other in Finder or 'Connect to Server.'

I know they are connecting because:

1. when my macbook sleeps, the Ethernet on my Hack turns from green to red, 'Connected' to 'Not Connected.' when i wake my macbook, the light turns green again.

2. under File Sharing > Options, the dialogue box says:  'number of users connected: 1'   and when i try to uncheck file sharing, it warns me that a device is connected to my Hack.

not sure what the problem is, i've turned off the firewall on both, and they are both able to see each other over wifi.

i am still using lnx2mac, going to try mieze's driver next.

The following is basic stuff, not intended as a putdown. The question is, where in the sequence of events do things not happen as they should?

Given computer 1 (c1) and computer 2 (c2). If you are on c1 and wish to connect to c2. Open the HD icon on c1. in the resulting window you should see a list of items on the left, there should be a heading: Shared. Under Shared should be c2. Click on C2, the window should change. In the upper left corner should be a tab Connecting and then Connected as; Guest, in the upper right hand corner Connect As. The window should contain a folder titled <name>PublicFolder.

That folder is the PublicFolder for the User on c2

If you wish to see all of c2, click on Connect As. A new window will appear with an option to connect as 'registered user' selected. There is a name field and will contain the user name on c1, change the name to the user on c2. In the password field enter the password for the user just entered. Click on Connect and the window should change to the contents of c2.

If you have 'show connected servers' checked in Finder Preferences on c1 you should see an icon for c2 on the c1 desktop.

Right, thanks, I've got that part. I'm able to do what you describe, but only over WiFi. Once I disconnect WiFi on one of the computers, the Shared category in the sidebar instantly goes away.

To clarify a couple things I mentioned before:

-I believe there is some connection taking place with the crossover cable, because when I insert the ethernet into my macbook, while the other end is in the ethernet port on my Hack, my Hack shows 'Connected' by Ethernet under Network in System Preferences. When I unplug the ethernet from my macbook, my Hack says Ethernet: 'Not Connected' under Network. (correction: there is no difference whether my macbook is sleeping. My Hack will say 'Connected' as long as the ethernet is plugged in at both ends.

Also, the indicator light on the NIC in the back of my Hack is green, showing connection, while connected by ethernet to my macbook.

- another correction: the 'Options' dialogue box under 'File Sharing' in System Preferences must have a cache, because the 'number of users connected: 1' is left over from when I connect through WiFi. Once WiFi is disconnected, and I refresh the dialogue box, this goes back to 0.

Is there any other step I'm missing in connecting two macs?

At this point, it doesn't seem like a hardware issue to me, and not a setup issue. What's left, the Hack ethernet driver? About that one, it just seems odd to me- I have Lnx2mac installed, which is a very popular ethernet driver that works on many systems and has been around for awhile. I would think ethernet file sharing would be configured correctly with it since so many people are using it.

ok, ok....IT'S WORKING!!   i had to restart my Hack, then everything showed up. Do you know what happened under the hood when I restarted? what files / cache needed to be reset?

25 GB in about 6 min

it's not working 100% though yet. Once I unplug the ethernet on either end, it goes back to the same state it was in. If I try and replug the ethernet, the NIC port on my Hack shows solid orange with blinking green data transmission, no longer solid green.

There should be a workaround for this, right? I don't imagine a restart is necessary every time someone wants to file share. also, the macbook didnt need a restart. I'm thinking this is a hackintosh driver setting issue.

i'm also going to try a regular ethernet cable once I restart to see if the crossover is necessary.

Hey, to follow up:

I tried installing Mieze's driver, but wasn't successful. Couldn't get ethernet internet connection with it, let alone file sharing. Not sure what happened, I copied the kext to S/L/E, but ethernet was not available.

I've since reintalled Lnx2Mac and file sharing between my computers is back to the state it was in:   ethernet sharing will work, but only after a restart of the hackintosh every time I connect the cable.

I think I am going to wait until the move to Mavericks before trying again. Thanks you guys for all your help.