Easy Build - Asus Gryphon - Rocks!

AsusFreak

17 posts in this topic

This is probably the easiest Hack's I've done yet. Using Clover (UEFI Boot) to dual boot DP5 and 10.8.5 with no real problems. Rather than fight with 892 audio I used VoodooHDA v2.8.4 and it works fine. FakeSMC in HWSensors 5.2.755  fixed the "console spam" I was seeing in Mavericks (many thanks to dev}... Sleep and wake both work fine, speedstep needs some work as I only get the low and turbo p-states [ 8 35 36 37 38 39 41 42 ] but that's fine for now. I have not patched the bios as Clover AsusAICPUPM works fine on this board.

From a performance standpoint, I'm seeing 12% to 15% increase from my 3770K build at stock, 4.2, and 4.5. Maybe that's not enough to justify a new build but still nice to see. 

Have a minor issue with Clover, the Installer fails to complete in DP5, of course it works fine in 10.8.5. I'm guessing that as we get closer to GM Slice and his great crew will fix this easily.

• Like 2

This is probably the easiest Hack's I've done yet. Using Clover (UEFI Boot) to dual boot DP5 and 10.8.5 with no real problems. 

Some questions for a Z87-I Deluxe.  Did you have to go MBR for the installer and the system?  My Clover works fine with my Z77-I Deluxe, however, I get an AptioFixDrv memory allocation error at the start of boot, any suggestions.

• Like 1

Some questions for a Z87-I Deluxe.  Did you have to go MBR for the installer and the system?  My Clover works fine with my Z77-I Deluxe, however, I get an AptioFixDrv memory allocation error at the start of boot, any suggestions.

Sorry it took so long to rely, just hadn't checked back here for a few days...

I was using Clover and already had 10.8.5 running on my Z77 board when I swapped out to the Z87. When I booted the Z87, I just disabled CMS and it booted fine. Had to make a few minor changes in config.plist afterword but that's all. I have yet to get the Clover installer to complete in Mavericks, seems to be some path changes from 10.8.5 that Clover can't deal with. I installed Mavericks with myHack, created the EFI partition and then copied the EFI folder from my 10.8.5 install. I don't think Clover installer will get fixed until we get closer to GM.

I've been looking at that Z87-I Deluxe for another build, will be anxious to see how it works out for you...  Oh one more thing, everything I find says that the Asus Z87 bios has MSR locked, yet I and 5 or 6 others are using stock bios without issue, doesn't appear to be locked to me.  

Also:  I'm only using OsxAptioFixDrv - OsxFatBinaryDrv - VBoxHfs-64... Not seeing any errors messages on boot, in the console, or in Boot.log

I was using Clover and already had 10.8.5 running on my Z77 board when I swapped out to the Z87. When I booted the Z87, I just disabled CMS and it booted fine. Had to make a few minor changes in config.plist afterword but that's all. 

Thanks for the reply.  On Clover, I moved the USB stick for my Z77I Deluxe to the Z87.  Had to set Secure Boot to Other OS and CMS to disabled and get the GUI.  I don't have VBoxHfs and will add it.  The OsxAptioFixDrv memory error occurs immediately.  Is your 10.8.5 partition GUID or MBR?

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  On Clover, I moved the USB stick for my Z77I Deluxe to the Z87.  Had to set Secure Boot to Other OS and CMS to disabled and get the GUI.  I don't have VBoxHfs and will add it.  The OsxAptioFixDrv memory error occurs immediately.  Is your 10.8.5 partition GUID or MBR?

It's GUID... A few months I ago I was getting the OsxAptioFixDrv memory errors you are seeing as I was {censored} with OCing and Config. In every instance it was a simple a matter of what I was doing corrupting the OsxAptioFixDrv efi file. Just replacing it fixed it every time. The VBoxHfs is just a replacement of HFSPlus.efi which is required to boot uefi. May be that the lack of using one or the other is generating the memory error...  (don't use both, also Slice has recently posted that the VBoxHfs is faster than HFSPlus).

EDIT: If you like I can zip and send my current efi folder to use as a starting point.

It's GUID... A few months I ago I was getting the OsxAptioFixDrv memory errors you are seeing as I was {censored} with OCing and Config. I

Thanks.  Installing OsxLowMemFixDrv-64.efi solved that problem.  After dozens of KPs (don't know why, instant reboot, camera images illegible), it booted to the Desktop.  Unfortunately Finder is in hyper mode, can't launch programs, enter passwords or even rename a file, bizarre.  The only thing repeatable is the KPs.  Got in a second time, same Finder problem.  Only issue in preboot is missing nvram file.

Interesting, OsxLowMemFixDrv-64.efi has always prevented Clover to load on any of my asus boards. If you're installing with DP1 that may be why your desktop stuff is do weird. When I originally installed DP1 I had so many problems I thought that even as a beta it was released too early, the box was hardy functional. I ended putting the box in the corner until DP2 was released. It was much better then but it wasn't solid until DP5 came out, now it's looking pretty good. The missing nvram file message is probably coming from not being able to run the installer so the RC scripts aren't getting installed.

• 2 weeks later...