How to create a custom (with kexts, and patched kernels) boot d. image (iso,dmg) or partition without a Mac?

MacOnVBOX

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, sorry to bother you with this!

Expanding on the title of this thread I would like to know if there is a way to create a custom boot disk image or partition, without using a Mac or USB drive. I will use said partition/image to boot from an Oracle VM .

I understand that I might be imposing way to many resources limitations, but at the very least I would like to know if it's not possible; currently I don't have access to a Mac nor do I have a 8GB USB at hand.

I've read the Chameleon guide but it's not clear how to create a iso image nor if it will work without using a Mac to create the image.

I used mkisofs to create some custom images with the necessary patched kernel and boot with them with no success, I really don't know which boot (boot0,boot,cdboot,etc) file should I use to create a bootable image (tried with cd boot but it does not work , I have checked how other more common bootloaders from osx86.net were built but it's the very same image so idk why it does not boot with my self made image). 

I have also been trying to make a disk partition using the BDU provided in this forum (Using a WinVM ) with no success (I really don't know if there are issues with the kexts file systems or if it's something else)

It has been a week since I started with this, so I decided to ask for help, hope you don't mind  :)

Thank in advance.

Christian.

If you don't have a Mac/Hack and don't have a DVD drive, then you can install OS X in virtual environment (VMware or Virual Box) using an iso image (converted from dmg image). This virtualised OS X would let you do most of the things you could do with physical OS X installation (either Mac or Hackintosh).

You can always use a small partition on a HDD to restore OS X installation image to. Same with bootloaders. In fact a HDD can be used instead of an USB key.

There are guides how to run OS X in a virtual environment, so have a look at the appropriate section.