Easiest update to Lion from 10.6.8? (AMD)

CJamesC

2 posts in this topic

I have a fully working Snow Leopard build and I was wondering what's the best route I should take for updating to Lion?

My rig:

SL 10.6.8

Phenom II x4 965 BE

GTX 480

Biostar A770e3

16GB Ram

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I have a fully working Snow Leopard build and I was wondering what's the best route I should take for updating to Lion?

My rig:

SL 10.6.8

Phenom II x4 965 BE

GTX 480

Biostar A770e3

16GB Ram

Thanks in advance!

Here's how I did it:

Take your current SL setup and either create a new partition on the same drive, or get a new formatted drive all-together.

I downloaded iatkos L2 while in SL and installed to the new partition using this package (hit show-hide files first):

iATKOS_L2>System>Installation>Packages>OSInstall.mpkg (be sure to use the mpkg one)

during custom install, have it look like this:

236kkm1.png

after it installs, DO NOT REBOOT

replace mach_kernel with Bronya's RC15 from the Lion AMD thread in the root of the installation

Go to System>Library>Extensions and replace the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext with the ones I attached in this post.  (it looks like the uploaded files automatically added .zip extensions, so you'll just have to delete the .zip part before replacing.)

go to disk utility and fix the permissions on the new Lion install, and reboot.  Pick the lion partition at chameleon bootloader, use verbose and let's see if it works!

If you get it up and running, do a combo update, replace the same 3 files, fix permissions, reboot and good to go again!

AppleACPIPlatform.kext.zip

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip