Mountain Lion hangs after booting

remedy

5 posts in this topic

I've been running 10.8.4 for a couple weeks now, and today when I booted it took a long time (roughly 1:30) to reach the desktop. When I finally reached the desktop, I was met with my cursor stuck in the top left and my keyboard and mouse being unresponsive for about 4 minutes before they finally kicked it. Random spurts of beach balls while I try to get some work done. I have a SSD which is why this is so worrying. TRIM is enabled, but I don't know where to go from here. Applications are taking a stupid long time to start.

EDIT: FireWire card is the problem. SYBA UW-1394PCI-A01 is the card. Where do I go from here? My options are there being some kind of fix for this or modifying Aloha's cable to put the ground elsewhere in the case (where?)

My system:

i5 3570K

GTX 660

GA Z77-DS3H

SanDisk Extreme II 128GB

I have not. I installed a PCI Firewire card for the G5 Front Panel cable, but I can't imagine that it would cause a slow down of this proportion. It detect it natively.

Edit: As an example, any time I receive an iMessage on my phone, I get the spinning beach ball in the iMessage application and it takes about 3 to 5 minutes for the message to appear on my Hac. This wasn't the case before. :(

I have not. I installed a PCI Firewire card for the G5 Front Panel cable, but I can't imagine that it would cause a slow down of this proportion. It detect it natively.

You'd be surprised... Try removing it...

Remove it and boot with UseKernelCache=No. See how it runs.

Wow. That worked. How do I fix it so I still have the FireWire card running?

If I can't, how can I modify Aloha's cable to have a ground wire? Will disabling it in BIOS work?

FireWire card: SYBA UW-1394PCI-A01 is the card.