Seeing if I can do a Hackintosh

Snowman5678

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, im trying to figure out of i can do a hackintosh build and i couldn't find a full list of parts that you can use and parts that you can and cant use. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 

Graphics Card: XFX HD-577X-ZNLC Radeon HD 5770

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB

Hard Drive:  WD Black 2TB 64mb Cache

Could I do it? Or are there any full lists that you guys know of?

• Like 1

Snowman, if you already have an AMD computer and want to turn it a hackintosh, go for it: will be both fun and frustrating.

But if you want to buy a computer for a hack, it's nonsense, since you can have affordable vanilla builds that will spare you lots of stress. Here's my "budget" recommendation:

GA-B75M-D3H (everything works wonderfully, but it's a simple board that doesn't allow for overclocking and doesn't have PCI-e x1, so if you need wi-fi or a dual ethernet card, you'll have to go with regular PCI and this demands some researching because of compatibility);

The board allows for up to 4 RAM sticks, so max it out;

Core I3-3225 CPU (because it has the HD 4000, meaning no graphics issues);

Any monitor with a DVI-D or HDMI port - VGA-only monitors will demand a discrete card and will increase the budget. Get the biggest screen you can afford.

The 5770 is okay, and the 2TB also will do (but you'll need workarounds for it to boot - personally i'd buy another smaller disk, 1TB or less, for the system: OSX doesn't like large volumes as startup disks).

All the best!

• Like 1