Help with ADD2 card for 845G

10 posts in this topic

Well I've got myself an ADD2 card for my 20" Apple Cinema Display, and I can't get OSX to boot when the monitor is connected.

I have an Intel D845GBV motherboard with an Intel 845G chipset.

I've got Quartz Extreme enabled and I can change resolutions with my CRT.

Did anyone test such a configuration?

lhost' date='Sep 23 2005, 11:43 AM' post='18494']

Well I've got myself an ADD2 card for my 20" Apple Cinema Display, and I can't get OSX to boot when the monitor is connected.

I have an Intel D845GBV motherboard with an Intel 845G chipset.

I've got Quartz Extreme enabled and I can change resolutions with my CRT.

Did anyone test such a configuration?

Is there a version of the ADD2 for that chipset? Mine is specifically for the 915G and works....does the DVI output work with Windows?

Yes it does. I can't see the POST and anything before Windows though, but that's because the ACD can't display low resolutions.

I think the problem might be that OSX doesn't detect the native resolution of the ACD and tries to use 1024x768 or something.

I'm quite sure it detects that the ACD is connected because if I plug the CRT back in after OSX should've booted, it doesn't turn on. If I do it without the ACD connected, I see OSX on the CRT.

lhost' date='Sep 23 2005, 11:54 AM' post='18497']

Yes it does. I can't see the POST and anything before Windows though, but that's because the ACD can't display low resolutions.

I think the problem might be that OSX doesn't detect the native resolution of the ACD and tries to use 1024x768 or something.

I'm quite sure it detects that the ACD is connected because if I plug the CRT back in after OSX should've booted, it doesn't turn on. If I do it without the ACD connected, I see OSX on the CRT.

Could it be that the Apple driver does not include support for that particular ADD2? The dev kits came with a 915G board and a SiG ADD2 - thats what I have, and it works fine in OSX. I didn't have to configure anything or use any key combos to select DVI - I have no idea about the analog port as I've never used it in XP or OSX.

basically it's not a new graphics card, it's just an extension for DVI support.

and this one is a Silicon Image one too, I think they all are.

I've got an idea that I'll try later - I'll make a shell script that runs on logon and dumps the supported resolutions using cscreen. Then I'll see if 1680x1050 is there, and if it is, I could make a script to switch to 1680x1050 on startup.

Well I've got that script working.

When my CRT is connected, it detects many resolutions.

When only the ACD is attached, it only detects 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480 (all of which the ACD doesn't support).

Is there a way to force a new resolution somehow?

I tried using SwitchRes X, but it can add custom resolutions only for the current monitor. Is there a way to add a custom resolution globally?

lhost' date='Sep 24 2005, 08:46 AM' post='18703']

Well I've got that script working.

When my CRT is connected, it detects many resolutions.

When only the ACD is attached, it only detects 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480 (all of which the ACD doesn't support).

Is there a way to force a new resolution somehow?

I tried using SwitchRes X, but it can add custom resolutions only for the current monitor. Is there a way to add a custom resolution globally?

Just out of curiosity...does it still detect those three basic reses even with nothing attached to either port? This might suggest it does not...and will not...use the DVI add-in.

it detects some different resolutions with no monitor attached.

btw, anyone with an ADD2 card here, do you see the POST with it?

I'd like to know if this card requires loading any drivers.

(with the ACD I can't see the POST, but that's a known issue with the ACDs. I can see Windows though, so the card is working).

lhost' date='Sep 26 2005, 01:44 PM' post='19169']

it detects some different resolutions with no monitor attached.

btw, anyone with an ADD2 card here, do you see the POST with it?

I'd like to know if this card requires loading any drivers.

(with the ACD I can't see the POST, but that's a known issue with the ACDs. I can see Windows though, so the card is working).

I'm using the 915 ADD2 (SiG from HP) with a Dell 20" LCD at 1600x1200 in XP and OSX86 - it supports many lower reses plus all post info - though because most of these reses are interpolated they look rough...in the old days before apple used the standard vga connector many apple crts were not "multisync" and displayed only one resolution, as must the acd?