Videocard not properly recognized

7 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

I have successfully got everything working, but sometimes the graphics is a bit laggy. I have a built in GT330M with 1024MB RAM, but it is recognized as a G310M with 512MB RAM.

Could anybody point me in the direction where to look for a fix? Wikipedia also lists both cards and the 310M has half of the performance of my 330M card, that is why I think that graphics get laggy sometimes (it uses half of my card for instance, atleast I think it does).

If you need more information (DSDT or something), please ask.

edit: forgot to post the link to wiki article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units#GeForce_300_Series

I did install the CUDA drivers, but graphics drivers are not available from nVidia as stated after searching on their Drivers page.

Do I need to edit my DSDT for this or do I need to edit a kext for this? I have no clue where to search and the nVidia kexts also don't give me the necessary clarity I'm looking for.

Ok, I did it and when I tried to install it, the installer gave me the error that my platform was unsupported. I downloaded and tried the Quadro 4000 one.

Yes of course, the unmodified installer will only run on a Mac Pro (or a Hackintosh with Mac Pro model identifier). This is stated clearly on the download page.

Use Pacifist or Flat Package Editor (from xcode dev tools) to open the installer package, find distribution.dist inside, open it with textedit and change the model identifier requirement so that it matches the model identifier you're using.

It's easy, once you're looking at it you'll know what to do.

Okay, I did what you said and my laptop refused to boot, so I installed another fresh copy. Right after installation (I was still on 10.8.0) I looked out of curiousity at the system profiler and all was recognized well (1GB RAM, a GT 330M etc etc). Once I installed combo update 10.8.2 and installed all other necessary kexts (voodoobattery, acpips2nub for keyboard / mouse / trackpad, IO80211Family, VoodooHDA after deleting applehda kext) and rebooted. Looked again and there it was: G310M with 512MB RAM.

I am clueless at the moment and I'm thinking to rollback the nvidia drivers (if that may help) but am unsure if 10.8.0 nvidia drivers work with 10.8.2) and thought to ask here now about this.

Hope you understand and can point me (again :) ) in the right direction.

edit: I tried the driver rollback, but didn't worked. Still G310M on 10.8.2. On 10.8.0 it was indeed GT 330M. Is there any other kext I can rollback?

edit2: I rolled all kexts back that start with NV (I think for nvidia). If it are the wrong ones, please do let me know.