Remote for XBMC on HTPC?

3 posts in this topic

So I've decided to deploy my XPS 720 as a HTPC. I was previously using my Rpi with my roommate's smart tv, and his remote worked natively... I'm not sure how, I think the signal worked through HDMI or something. This computer does not have HDMI so that wouldn't work anyway. So I'm trying to figure out what the best way to do this is. I can use the official XBMC remote app, but my computers like to change their ip address all the time which is really annoying. Also, my new roommate doesn't have a smartphone so he wouldn't be able to do that. What is the best way to do this? Is there any remote that will work natively? From what I understand OS X has no MCE support. I've heard Wii remotes will work, but i think they only work as a mouse and I would imagine that would be clumsy. Who has experience with this?

So I've decided to deploy my XPS 720 as a HTPC. I was previously using my Rpi with my roommate's smart tv, and his remote worked natively... I'm not sure how, I think the signal worked through HDMI or something. This computer does not have HDMI so that wouldn't work anyway. So I'm trying to figure out what the best way to do this is. I can use the official XBMC remote app, but my computers like to change their ip address all the time which is really annoying. Also, my new roommate doesn't have a smartphone so he wouldn't be able to do that. What is the best way to do this? Is there any remote that will work natively? From what I understand OS X has no MCE support. I've heard Wii remotes will work, but i think they only work as a mouse and I would imagine that would be clumsy. Who has experience with this?

Personally, I would assign a static IP address to the computer and use the XBMC remote app, that is what I do and it works without any issues.

I may just do that. I suppose I could use my old phone as a remote or something. Basically the other thing is I want my roommate to be able to use a remote and he doesn't have an Android or iOS phone.