Help! Raedon X800GTO PCIE Problems. (Possible SATA Probs.)

9 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone :D Im having a lot of problems installing OSX on my system, Im pretty sure its my Powercooler ATI X800 GTO 256 PCI-E graphics card! I have successfully Installed Jas's 10.4.7 image and applied all the necessary patches etc. The installation was perfect all my hardware is fully supported :D BUT when it boots into the welcome message and asks for all the various imformation, name address etc the screen goes blank for about 1second then returns back to the welcome screen after about 3 times it does this the screen just remains blue with the mouse graphic just spinning! <---- it never gets past this process.

How can I resolve the above ^ its driving me :o crazy :D

Specs Of Computer.....

Pentium 4 HT 630 Socket 775 3.0Ghz Features: SSE SSE2 SSE3 HT EMT64

MSI 945GM2 (MS-7210) 945G

Onboard Realtek® RTL8110S Network Card

VIA® 6307 chipset Firewire Adapter

Onboard HD Sound ICH7/ICH7R Chipset

Powercooler Raedon X800GTO 256Mb PCI-E Graphics Card

SataII 160Gb WD HDD

Once again id greatly appreciate all the help given.

You need to let us see what the error message is.

Try booting the computer in verbose mode (type -v in the boot options) to see what is going on.

I have a feeling it will say "still waiting for boot device", which has nothing to do with your graphics card.

If you think it is the graphics driver, you can try removing (aka move to another directory, NOT delete) the ATIRadeon9700* files from the Extensions directory. You will probably need to go into single user mode (-s in boot options) to do so.

Thanks for the reply phoenix3200 :D

Right ive just done a new install to see if that made any diffrence to my situation but it hasn't :) I still get the same problem...

The first time it booted I used the -V mode and when it finished checking all the extensions it stated 'There were errors while starting' it stated the 'IOPlatformPluginFamily' was the cause.

I havent tried the -S mode as now when it boots it goes streight into the normal apple boot screen (the white background) with out asking how to boot, so I cannot type -S <----- How can I reslove this also..

It dosent say anything about 'Still waiting for route device' so I persume this isnt a problem.

Once again any help on getting Mac OSX installed on my system would be much appriciated.

The first time it booted I used the -V mode and when it finished checking all the extensions it stated 'There were errors while starting' it stated the 'IOPlatformPluginFamily' was the cause.

I havent tried the -S mode as now when it boots it goes streight into the normal apple boot screen (the white background) with out asking how to boot, so I cannot type -S <----- How can I reslove this also..

But what did it say about "IOPlatformPluginFamily"? What was the exact error?

When you boot OSX, first the screen turns black then goes to grey with the spinning icon.

As soon as the screen turns black, start tapping the F8 key quickly and repeatedly until a command prompt appears.

At the prompt you can type, among other things:

-v enters verbose mode to display messages generated during boot

-x enters safe mode which boots with many of the extensions disabled. If successful, it gives you a gui but limited functionality so that you can repair what ails ya.

-s enters single-user mode. This is a non-gui command driven interface intended for severe problems but allows you to use the command line to fix problems.

-v can be combined with -x or -s

Some people combine -x with -s, but this is ridiculous because they do similar but different things. It would be like telling someone to go left and right simultaneously.

Hi Rammjet :thumbsdown_anim:

I have tried what you suggested but the only errors I get are 'errors encountered while starting up the computer' <----- displays this just before it starts loading the extenstions.

Also I have seen this a few times '-workaround bonjour: unknown error :0'

It finally booted into the desktop enviroment with all the icons ect loaded, but the screen just refreshes its self every 4/5 seconds then goes black with no information on just a white square in the top left corner?

Thanks for the help so far guys :thumbsup_anim:

Any help on this guys?? Im very determined to get this up and running ..

If you need any more info, that ant a problem (I can post screen shots etc)

Thanks.

EDIT: I tried the VMware install method and this worked perfectly under emulation, however when I boot natively I still get the same problems.

Right guys:) I know im cluttering up my own thread lol, I have just realised could this be a possible SATA problem? the main reason I ask this because VMware installed the Mac OS a lot quicker then a native install, could this be a reason im getting the errors mentioned above?

I have a IDE HDD, and a Maxtor External USB HDD Drive I am going to try to install to one of them, which do you guys recommend, I would have to remove one of my IDE DVDRW drivers for the internal HDD