Installing Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Using Hazard's Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD DVD on a GPT SATA HDD on an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO

verdant

3 posts in this topic

All done on an eSATA Hard Drive connected via eSATA or USB 2.0 ......using a USB keyboard and mouse (NOT PS/2), Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 G0 CPU running at 3.0GHz, PATA DVDRW, Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB graphics card, Netgear GA311 Gigabit LAN PCI card (RealTek 8169S chipset) and Asus SupremeFX audio card (AD1988b audio codec).

NO WARRANTY IS IMPLIED OR GIVEN AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THESE STEPS WILL WORK FOR YOU AS THEY HAVE FOR ME.

THIS GUIDE IS ONLY for INTEL CPUs NOT AMD CPU SYSTEMS AND THE SYSTEM INSTALL SELECTIONS USED IN THE GUIDE ARE FOR AN nFORCE CHIPSET MOBO. CERTAIN SELECTIONS WILL NEED TO BE DIFFERENT FOR AN AMD CPU AND/OR INTEL CHIPSET MOBO.

I have used the final patched version (original and PPF patch both obtained via Google searching...... :dev: ) of the Snow_Leopard_10.6.1-10.6.2_SSE2_SSE3_Intel_AMD_by_Hazard Snow Leopard......this distro is made from the Retail Mac OS X 10.6 DVD with updates 10.6.1 and 10.6.2.

It is claimed to support most of the modern hardware for Intel and AMD (AMD users need to patch CPUID's with Marvin's AMD Utility) and includes the Intel Atom fixed kernel for 10.6.2 update, support for Intel Pentium 4 with Legacy Kernel, SATA Fix and more.

Note that the distro Install DVD boots by default into 64bit mode AND like ALL single-layer DVD distros, is a "stripped-down" version of the Retail OS X Install DVD containing NO Printer Drivers........

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Boot PC from Hazard Install DVD

2. When Darwin bootloader appears, press F8 and at the boot: prompt, type

-v arch=i386

If you have any problems, try

-v arch=i386 cpus=1 maxmem=2048

but only use maxmem=2048 if you have > 2GB RAM installed on your MOBO

3. Use Disk Utility to set up at least 2 OS X volumes of equal size (minimum 80GB, partitioned/formatted as GPT/Mac OS Extended (Journaled); one as OSX_Main and the other as OSX_Backup

Note that without modification this distro install DVD cannot be used to install Snow Leopard onto MBR/Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partitioned/formatted HDD volume(s)

4. Select OSX_Main as your target install volume in the Select a Destination popup-window

5. Click on Customize button in the Install Summary popup-window, and select as follows.

NOTE any Customize options not listed below HAVE NOT BEEN SELECTED!

Mac_OS_X_10.6.2

Kernels >
NONE

Boot_Loaders-Options >

> Chameleon_Boot_Loaders >
Chameleon_RC4

>
Bootx86

> Boot_Options >
Graphics_Enabler

You can
choose to use
Graphics_Enabler
(
BUT ONLY if you have a nVidia graphics card
...otherwise choose no Boot_Options unless you know you need to choose certain boot options....)

Graphics_Drivers >
NONE

UNLESS
you have one of the ATI or Intel graphics cards using a driver in the list of options.......

OR
if you have a nVidia graphics card
BUT
have not chosen Graphics_Enabler in Boot_Options; in which case, choose as follows:

Graphics_Drivers > NVidia_Graphic >
NVEnabler

NOTE:
I have found that both Graphics_Enabler and NVEnabler work with my GeForce 8600GT 256MB graphics card giving CI/QE (as seen from the transparent top menu bar) but Graphics_Enabler works more cleanly during bootup, as the bootup screen shows......

Audio_Drivers >
AppleAzaliaAudioAD1988b

If you do not have a AD19988b audio chipset/codec, choose the listed option your MOBO audio chipset/codec requires, BUT if you are not sure which available option(s) for your audio chipset/codec to choose, then choose VoodooHDA_v2.5.3......HOWEVER, if your chipset/codec is not listed, then choose the AppleAzaliaAudio option (2channel output).......

Note:
I have found that choosing the AppleAzaliaAudioAD1988b option results in VoodooHDA.kext (0.2.1) being loaded also......this produces speaker "crackles/pops" during booting but you do get sound output with the top menu bar speaker icon activated with volume control......however, in System Profiler > Audio (Built In) appears as "No Built-in Audio."....

Network_Drivers >
nForceLAN

unless you know exactly which of the listed drivers your MOBO onboard LAN chipset requires........if your chipset is not listed, then choose NONE.......

CMOS_Reset_Fix >
ElliottForceLegacyRTC

SATA_ATA_FIx >
NONE

Patches >

>
About_This_Mac_Fix

>EITHER
OpenHaltRestart
OR
EvOreboot

NOTE:
The PS2 option is
ONLY
needed if you are using a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse......

>
SMBIOSResolver

>
Upstream_Client_Disabler

(Normally needed if you have a 8xxx or 9xxx series nVidia graphics card)

>
UUID

Additional Fonts
OPTIONAL

Rosetta
OPTIONAL

(Rosetta is
required
if you have PPC apps that you need to run on your Intel CPU mac)

QuickTime 7

6. Click on Install button.............if you wish to, you can skip the "Checking Installation DVD" process........but it is recommended that you do not.......

7. After the installlation process finishes, you will see an Install Failed warning appear in a popup window.......just ignore this warning........and click Restart button......

IMPORTANT POINTS TO NOTE:

A. This distro Install DVD, while successful (booting from a PATA or SATA DVDRW), produces a messy Snow Leopard installation because all the patched and/or non-Apple kexts are put in /System/Library/Extensions/ rather than in /Extra/Extensions/.......so that /S/L/E is no longer an untouched pure Apple kext, i.e. vanilla kext, folder.......

B. The Extensions.mkext file used during bootup from the DVD and from the Snow Leopard installation on the GPT/Mac OS Extended (Journaled) HDD volume is a problem.......primarily because it loads the SuperNForceATA.kext from Extensions.mkext.......this produces a looping error on bootup:

08/04/2010 17:09:51 kernel FEDE genero 32IOVMSegments

08/04/2010 17:09:51 kernel FEDE - SuperNForceATA: createChannelCommands( 0xac25400)

08/04/2010 17:09:51 kernel FEDE Casteo a IOAABUSCommand64

08/04/2010 17:09:51 kernel FEDE Obtengo el comaqndo DMA

08/04/2010 17:09:51 kernel FEDE obtengo el descriptor de memoria

08/04/2010 17:09:51 kernel FEDE entro al ciclo

with the FEDE messages filling up the Console All Messages log.......and slowing down booting to the Desktop..........

HENCE:

8. Reboot the PC and when the Chameleon boot-loader screen has "framed" your Snow Leopard OS X volume icon, type

-v -f

and this should appear to the right of "boot:" on the bottom LHS of the screen......

Note: If you wish to, you can then reboot with just

-v

and see the difference....... :dev:

9. Navigate from the Desktop to /System/Library/ and find an Extensions.mkext file (49.3MB) and 'drag and drop' it to Trash......

10. Now go to the /System/Library/ Extensions folder.........find and 'drag and drop' to Trash, the following files:

SuperNForceATA.kext

See B. above

SuperVIAATA.kext

System/Library/Extensions/SuperVIAATA.kext doesn't support architecture i386; omitting from prelinked kernel.

Sleepenabler.kext

Does not enable sleep on nForce MOBOs AFAIK and also prevents updating to 10.6.3

11. Download and run the Mac OS X Update 10.6.3 Combo Package Installer.......after successful installation.......click on the Restart button.......as is usual the PC will reboot twice......

Note: The AppleNForceATA.kext now in /Extra/Extensions/, based on its size, appears to be the original AppleNforceATA kext version 1.0.3 by MeDevil, i.e. neither slashack's nor AnV's version 1.0.4 variant......

So, if you have any kernel panics in use, then you should replace it with either slashack's or AnV's version 1.0.4 variant......to be found in my Snow_Leopard_Support_Files_V2.3......

12. Once everything on OSX_Main is running Snow Leopard 10.6.3 just as you want it to, you can then use Disk Utility or Carbon Copy Cloner v3.3 to clone it to the OSX_Backup volume......

Despite a successful installation and updating to OS X 10.6.3, MY RECOMMENDATION is to do a full vanilla Snow Leopard Retail OS X Install DVD installation, with the necessary non-vanilla kexts placed, if at all possible, only in /Extra/Extensions/, using my nForce GUIDE to INSTALL Snow Leopard (10.6) on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel Core2 Duo or Quad or newer CPU MOBO, which explains how to do a successful installation of Snow Leopard 10.6 using either a USB flash drive installer method, or my nForceSLBoot132DVD method........ :dev:

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the great post. I have an p5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO's.I have tried a couple different scenario's with Snow Leopard. And there have been a couple times where I get to where it seems like the gui is going to load, but my screen then goes blank and and monitor goes to that "I don't have a signal" mode. I have two video cards in it. 8800 GTX and NVidia 260. Could it be that be the issue? I have tried switching either of my monitors to either output on both monitors. I was hoping someone had this same issue before I went to taking out one of the video cards.Thanks, Sam

Thanks for the great post. I have an p5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO's.I have tried a couple different scenario's with Snow Leopard. And there have been a couple times where I get to where it seems like the gui is going to load, but my screen then goes blank and and monitor goes to that "I don't have a signal" mode. I have two video cards in it. 8800 GTX and NVidia 260. Could it be that be the issue? I have tried switching either of my monitors to either output on both monitors. I was hoping someone had this same issue before I went to taking out one of the video cards.Thanks, Sam
Yes........initially install OS X with the 8800 GTX only..........once you have got OS X running 100%, then see if you can get both running.........look for posts by aqua-mac and dual graphics cards using Google........