help to boot OS X86 with OS Selector

gedebukk

16 posts in this topic

I formatted my harddrive in CMD and created a primary partition id=af

I booted the Mac OS install DVD in VMware and installed Mac OS in Native.

But when i tried to boot OS X86 in Acronis Os Selector, it wouldn't find the operation system.

I tried to manualy add the Mac OS system, here are som pictures.

OS%20Detection%20Wizard%201.jpg

I chose the parition were I installed OS X86:

OS%20Detection%20Wizard%202.jpg

But the program didn't find any operationsystem on the disk: :P

OS%20Detection%20Wizard%203.jpg

OS X86 boots in VMware, and the harddrive is properly formatted.

Does anyone know what this problem could be?

sorry for bad English :)

Let's forget about Acronis OS Selector (AOSS) for now: disable it.

The main thing is you want to know if your OSX install works in native mode, so let's tackle this one problem at a time; worry about AOSS later.

Since your OSX partition is active, when you reboot press the F key that allows you to chose the booting disk: chose the one where OSX is. That way you'll be (hopefully) booting OSX, and you'll see if your OSX works right there. Hopefully your darwin loader will even show XP as a boot option (press a key to see options, or F8).

If all works well, OSX booting and stable, and the ability to chose XP with the darwin bootloader, then you can ask yourself if AOSS is usefull right now, since you have a bootloader that does work.

(and if you would still prefer AOSS, we'll try to see what's not working... one problem at a time)

If it doesn't work, well at least you know that there's already a problem not related to AOSS.

Forget about this Acronis piece of **** ... it isn't working very well, while uninstalling it messed up my whole disk somehow. Try the method cbmkgd discribed, the darwin laoder is more than enought to be lucky with :-D

There are a few other very bad things about Acronis, besides it's arbility for disfunction, sometimes after you defrag your windrive it will be broken, another bad thing is it tooks AGES to load up. throw it away ;-)

Hi... i tried to disable OS Selector and reboot while pressing the F8 key, I chose the partition where OS X86 is, then the screen just went black for a minute, and windows xp booted instead. :blink::)

I also tried to disconnect the windows xp harddrive and boot the X86 disk, but then it just told me to insert some bootable media :D

I chose the partition where OS X86 is, then the screen just went black for a minute, and windows xp booted instead.
Just when you boot on osx, press F8, that should get the darwin loader to show you options. Later you can modify a file to let you see these options for a few seconds, but lets see first if you can boot osx, or if you still see that second error message. (what bootable media exactly is it asking?)

As for AOSS, I wouldn't call it a piece of shlt exactly: looking at various posts in these forums over the last few months have shown that there's no multi-boot options that didn't cause anybody any problems at one point or another. I've had my problems with aoss, which i solved by installing it in a non-system fat32 partition. Since then I've been defragging, resizing, moving that partition for various reasons with no ill effect. But it IS slower than darwin/ntldr loaders (although disabling loading cd drivers in aoss menu speeded up things quite a bit), and removing the help documentation images to reduce the ossmain.exe filesize didn't have too much effect on speed.

Eventually I'll prefer grub even over the darwin loader.

It is indeed possible that aoss made the osx partition on second drive non-active.

Use DiskDirector; select osx partition; on left panel, click Make Active (or something like that). Then on reboot you tell your bios to first load the disk that contains osx (by pressing a F key that lets you select, or going into bios).

Or simpler, if you keep the windows disk unconnected, use http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

/edit: oops, cross-post. :o

Windows disk manager tells me that the disk is already active :o

but when I tried to boot the Mac OS X86 disk, I got the "still waiting for root device" error. When I installed OS X86 VMware in native I didn't get that error.

I also tried to boot the OS X86 disk in safmode, but then i just hanged on the apple loading logo.

and the Mac OS disk is not the second one, but the first disk. Could that cause some problems?

when I tried to boot the Mac OS X86 disk, I got the "still waiting for root device" error.

I also tried to boot the OS X86 disk in safmode, but then i just hanged on the apple loading logo.

When you did the installation, what packages did you choose in the Customize window?