MSI P43-Neo3 F

upinthecloude

2 posts in this topic

I've been searching all around for this beast. But seems nobody has posted any success stories, so I guess I might as well start on a success journey myself.

>>My rig: MSI P43 Neo3-F, Intel E7200 45 nm Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1066 (2x2 GB) >>Corsair XM2 Ram, Western Digital 500 GB HD, XFX 9600 GT 512 MB, Antec 900 >>Case, Generic IDE DVD/CD Drive.

>>Much help came from LTL's Retail DVD installation Guide.

>>http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

Now don't get any wrong ideas. THIS IS NOT A COMPLETE GUIDE. For anybody looking here for advice on installing to your own P43, install at your own risk. I have not successfully managed to install OS X on my board yet, but I will be posting all updates on this blog.

Now let's get started.

Ok, so I have a Macbook Pro at home. I used that to patch my hard drive connected through a SATA to USB connector.

Using LTL's files, I installed PC EFI v8.

I already had a retail copy of leopard, so all I had to do was create an image of the CD through DiskUtil. The end result was a .dmg file.

I mounted the disk, and installed PC EFI.

Get files here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=21570

(UPLOADED BY LTL)

Rename the Archive folder to "EFI" without the quotes.

Then open up terminal and type the following

sudo –s (Enter)

cd /Volumes/
MACOS
/Users/
xxx
/Desktop/EFI/pc_efi_v80 (Enter)

./startupfiletool /dev/r
disk0s2
./boot_v8 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/r
disk0s2
bs=512 count=1 (Enter)

dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/
disk0
bs=400 count=1 (Enter)

Remember to change the variables accordingly. MACOS is the startup disk on my MBP. Use disktuil to find out the disk id of your DESTINATION drive. Replace disk0s2 and disk0 accordingly.

Next run the installer and change your destination drive. It's an image so it should be quite fast. If you are short on time, installign straight from the DVD will also work, but will take much longer.

Download the 10.5.4 combo update from Apple if you wish, but it doesn't matter if you don't.

Once finished installing and/or updating, go back to terminal and type the following.

/usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/Macintosh

sudo mkdir /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla

cd /

cd /Volumes/MACOS/Users/xxx/Desktop/EFI/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleEFIRuntime.kext

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext

sudo cp -r kext/dsmos.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo cp -r pc_efi_v80/AppleSMBIOS.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Remember to change "Macintosh" to the name of your Destination drive.

Now, if you try to boot from this setup, there WILL BE a kernel panic. It's regarding the IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. So remove that too.

sudo cp -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/Macintosh/vanilla/

sudo rm -r /Volumes/Macintosh/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

And this was as far as I got. The kernel panic seems to have gone away, but still my system won't boot. It just blatantly stops at the white Apple logo screen with no indication of it loading. I will post further progress soon.

• 6 months later...

I have the same board, but I can't even get it to install to an internal drive (IDE). I got the iDeneb 1.3 installer to start, I can select my 32Gb partition located at disk0s2, thats an IDE master with a vista installation on partition 1. If I select this as my install location the installer scans the source media and turns up ok but then when attempting to actually install I get an error that says "the installer is experiencing errors installing onto Leopard" (I titled the volume "Leopard"). My other option is an external USB drive. The drive has an NTFS partition on it and what started as an empty partition as partition 2. The iDeneb installer seems to have copied all of the files over to the USB drive successfully but I can't get it to boot. I also have a zip file that I grabbed from another forum post that supposedly contains all of the kexts necessary for this mobo, but I don't know how I would get the file over to the USB installation, and I also don't know the terminal commands necessary to plug them into the system so that I can at least boot the USB drive and maybe image it later to the internal one once the drivers are on it. Any ideas? Am I going about it all wrong?