Install Leopard 10.5.2 via Kalyway or iATKOS v2.0i on an Internal Hard Drive (HDD) or External USB 2.0 or eSATA HDD on an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO

verdant

1 post in this topic

Part I - Clean install of Leopard 10.5.2 via Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

Part II - Clean install of Leopard 10.5.2 via iATKOS v2.0i DVD

Part III - Clone install of either a Kalyway or iATKOS v2.0i Leopard

10.5.2 OS installed on an internal HDD

All done on an Internal Hard Drive, or on an External USB 2.0 / eSATA Hard Drive connected via either USB 2.0 or eSATA......using a USB keyboard and mouse (NOT PS/2), Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 G0 CPU, PATA DVDRW, Gigabyte nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256MBgraphics card, Netgear GA311 Gigabit LAN PCI card (RealTek 8169S chipset) and Asus SupremeFX audio card.

NO WARRANTY IS IMPLIED OR GIVEN AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THESE STEPS WILL WORK FOR YOU AS THEY HAVE FOR ME.

THIS GUIDE IS ONLY for INTEL CPUs NOT AMD CPU SYSTEMS AND THE KERNEL AND THE SYSTEM INSTALL SELECTIONS USED IN THE GUIDE ARE FOR AN nFORCE CHIPSET MOBO. CERTAIN SELECTIONS WILL NEED TO BE DIFFERENT FOR AN INTEL CHIPSET MOBO.

Part I - Clean install of Leopard 10.5.2 via Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

I used the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd.iso file (burned to DVD) with MD5 checksum:

MD5 Kalyway 10.5.2 = E03AF401CC9E0BAAB1401199170DDF99

1. Boot from the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd Install DVD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

2. On DVD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v" (without quotes)

3. Once the Kalyway OS X Installer has loaded, use Disk Utility to partition the HDD as Master Boot Record (MBR) into the number and size of volumes required, and format the intended OS X install volume as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) giving it a unique name without spaces.

4. If you have partitioned your internal or external HDD into more than one volume, select the first volume to install to, otherwise just select the internal or external HDD volume.

5. Press Continue and then Customize. Once in the "Customize" menu, select as follows:

Additional Fonts Y (Choose to suit your requirements)

(Chosen because I may need them in future)

Language Translations N (Choose to suit your requirements)

Kernels -

kernel_9.2_sleep
Y
(Default choice)

kernel_9.2_speedstep
N

kernel_922_kabyl
N

kernel_922_modin
N

kernel_92_nforce
N

kernel_vanilla_92
N

Graphics _Drivers -

Ati_Radeon
N

Nvidia_Geforce -

NVinject-256
Y
(all other NVinject choices
N
and NATIT_gfnvidia
N
)

Intel_GMA
N

Choose ONE graphics driver to suit your requirements but if you have any video display/graphics driver problems when running the OS X installer and on booting etc., then run the OS X Install DVD again with NO graphics driver chosen initially. See Part II in this blog entry for the steps to take, such as deleting the current nVidia graphics driver and post-installing an nVidia graphics driver using Mysticus C*'s 10.5.2 Graphics Update Installer if you experience problems�.(it should be similar if you use an ATI graphics card but I guess you would be looking for AT*, ATI and Radeon [or related similar name kexts] rather than NV* kexts etc.

BUT do your own search via Google in InsanelyMac fora and elsewhere to confirm what is required in terms of deleting current ATI graphics driver kexts and post-installing ATI graphics driver kexts if you are running with an ATI graphics card).... :dev:

Audio_Drivers N

Choose ONE audio driver to suit your requirements but if you have any audio driver problems when running the OS X installer and on booting etc., then run the OS X Install DVD again with NO audio driver chosen initially.....See Part II in this blog entry for the steps to take, such as post-installing the required audio driver kext using, for example, Kext Helper b7......or OSx86Tools...... :dev:

Networks_ Drivers - Default choices

(But my onboard LAN does not work with OS X x86; I have a Netgear GA311 PCI card [RealTek 8169S chipset] fitted for Gigabit LAN)

If you have network problems, it could be that your on-board LAN will not work properly under OS X.....the onboard LAN on a MOBO may or may not work - it all depends on the MOBO specs.

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/realtekr1000/ for the R1000, which is an opensource driver for network controllers RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 and some others modification for Mac OSX. It is based on Realtek's driver for Linux but is not supported by Realtek.

Also see http://www.psystar.com/realtek_r1000_driver.html

Psystar have released a modded driver based on R1000 claimed by them to enhance

the interrupt handling and link detection for these NICS: RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101.

If this is the case, get hold of a Realtek chipset based PCI Netwok Card i.e. RTL8168, RTL8111, RTL8169, RTL8101 chipset card....check card specs before buying....depending on the card used it may just work out of the box with the already installed drivers in OS X... :P

As regards installing a network driver kext (if required post-OS X install), you can use, for example, Kext Helper b7......or OSx86Tools...... :P

Mobo_Chipsets - Default choices

Thirds_Applications � Choose to suit your requirements

(I chose archives, candybar, changeFinder, colloquy, Growl, kextHelperB7, onyx, pacifist, perian, ppfomatic, stuffitExpander, textmate, vlc, xbench)

SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC N (Default choice)

Patches -

Hardcoded_SMBIOS
Default choice
i.e.
Lastnetkassmbios

boot_with-cpus=1_flag
N

PCGenUSB_Fix
N

Francais_pc_keyboard_layout
N

TimeMachineFix
Y

PowerManagement_bundle
N

Intel Memory Controller
N

AMD_1052_Patches Default
N (Default choice)

6. Double check your "Customize" choices, then click "Install". When install begins you may choose to (or not) skip the DVD verify process.

7. When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the Internal HDD or from the External USB 2.0 / eSATA HDD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the Internal HDD or External HDD (which will be shown as either a SATA drive or USB drive depending on how it has been connected to the PC) and pressing Enter.

8. On the External USB 2.0 / eSATA HDD Darwin boot loader appearance, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "-v -f" (without quotes) and wait as verbose booting takes place successfully...... :P but obviously the waiting time is much longer when the External HDD is connected via USB 2.0 than it is when connected via eSATA...... so I choose eSATA for myself.... :dev:

Having rebooted with -v -f successfully�. In the System Profiler I had

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA,

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

plus 1152x870@75Hz resolution 32-bit Color depth with Hardware Accelerated CI and QE Supported�..

9. I then chose 1280x1024@75Hz resolution in Display Preferences and got as usual a blank blue screen ("on-the-fly" resolution switching may not be feasible on LCD or CRT monitors with open source graphics drivers, such as NVinject, NVkush, NATIT and so on?....I have yet to try with a CRT monitor.....if it is, I am not yet aware of how to set it up. See UPDATE below:), so I rebooted with -v -f successfully without any hang-ups�.. In the System Profiler I now had 1280x1024@75Hz resolution 32-bit Color depth and 256MB VRAM with Hardware Accelerated CI and QE Supported�.. :rolleyes:

UPDATE: To get switchable resolutions on-the-fly, try swapping the monitor DVI or VGA (via VGA-to-DVI adapter) connector to the other DVI port on the GFX card.....this tip, from cyclonefr, has worked for me.

10. At this point Kalyway (10.5.2) was running fine with Internet access, simple audio playback on iTunes Radio, USB device mounting/un-mounting, network file sharing�..In order to get full audio functions, I ran the Taruga_AD1988b_rev3_Installer package downloaded from http://wiki.taruga.net/tiki-index.php..... :rolleyes: or from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=30545

11. Finally, to avoid any problems with the well known >3 GB RAM problem... :angel: ; see this thread by mtotho.....on many motherboards, if you install 4GB or more of RAM in Dual Channel mode, then you may get a kernel panic when the RAM usage exceeds 3GB (I have experienced this issue with 4, 5 and 6GB RAM installed, although in some fora it is suggested that with 6GB or 8GB RAM the issue may disappear.... :P )

For further information on whether or not this RAM limitation issue may apply to your system, see the TROUBLESHOOTING SECTION at the end of the guide....

So, I modified the com.apple.Boot.plist file as follows:

1. Go to the Terminal, and at the $ prompt, type in

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

2. Enter your password when requested. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor within the Terminal window.

3. Type in (without any spaces anywhere)

maxmem=3072

between <string> and </string> under <key>Kernel Flags</key>.

4. Move the cursor the Terminal window down until it no longer moves, then press ^O and then Enter, to save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist file.

5. Press ^X to Exit and type "exit" at the $ prompt to log out of the Terminal and then close and quit Terminal.

12. I rebooted with -v and Repaired Permissions, and enjoyed my success in achieving what I set out to do.... :dev:

IF NOT SEE TROUBLESHOOTING SECTION AT END OF GUIDE......

Part II - Clean install of Leopard 10.5.2 via iATKOS v2.0i DVD

I used the iATKOS v2.0i.iso file (burned to DVD) with MD5 checksum:

MD5 iAtkos 2.0i = f1ad86417c16c1ea873abb8114989d3e

Stage A. Installing 10.5.2 system

1. Boot from the iATKOS v2.0i DVD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the PC BIOS "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

2. When the Darwin Bootloader appears, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type (without quotes) "nforce_core -v", or one of the other possible options (i.e. "nforce -v" for nForce MOBOs with Intel SSE3 CPU; "toh -v" to boot with the ToH 9.2.0 kernel) depending on your motherboard and Intel CPU type, or simply "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v" if you are not sure.... :dev:

3. Partition HDD as MBR and format the intended OS X install volume as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and give a unique name without spaces using Disk Utility within the iATKOS 2.01 DVD Installer.

4. DVD Installer Selections:

iATKOS v2.0i Main System Y

Darwin Bootloader Y

Stock Files N

Additional Patches -

Darwin x86 for MBR (Non-EFI)
N

Kernel 9.2.0 ToH
N

nForce kernels -

Kernel 9.2.0 nForce Core EFI
Y

(Install also works with Kernel 9.2.0 ToH but not chosen because my CPU is Intel Core2 Q6600)

Kernel 9.2.0 nForce Core Non-EFI
N

Kernel 9.2.0 nForce Core SSE3 Non-EFI
N

SMBIOS drivers -

Apple SMBIOS netkas
Y

Apple SMBIOS-27 4rd release iMac
N

Apple SMBIOS-27 4rd release MacBook
N

Remove Thermal kexts
Y

Disk Image Mounter patch
N

Drivers -

VGA -
N

System -

Intel SATA
N

nForce SATA
Y

Intel Speedstep
N

ext2fs
N

NTFS-3G
N

Network
N

5. On the required restart by the installer DVD, booting up with -v -f (generally recommended after installation) may fail with a kernel panic depending on your nVidia graphics card model; hence my initially installing without any graphics driver selected (see below) :

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.GeForce(5.2.4)@0x7fab3000->0x7fb39fff

dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(5.2.4)@0x7f873000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.5)@0x7f865000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4.1)@0x77a36000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.5.1)@0x7f849000

com.apple.NVDAResman(5.2.4)@0x7f873000->0x7fab2fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.5)@0x7f865000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4.1)@0x77a36000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.5.1)@0x7f849000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

9C7010

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Tue Feb 5 16:13:22 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.3.13~1/RELEASE_I386

This kernel panic points to a GeForce Driver(s) error.... at least for my GeForce 8600GT 256MB graphics card..... :( even though I had picked no nVidia drivers! Thus the base OS X system drivers could not drive my GeForce 8600GT.... :dev:

If you have a similar kernel panic do not expect to see the same hexadecimal numbers as in the example above.....

For a solution, see for example : http://osx86.wikidot.com/known-issues#toc1

com.apple.GeForce; com.apple.NVDAResman Kernel Panic Issue

Issue: System stops on Kernel Panic during boot.

Solution:This is caused by the GeForce Kexts that are installed by default. The issue is resolved by removing the GeForce kexts at boot, and it can be done as follows:

boot with -s

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.kext

exit

ENDQUOTE

Stage B. Installing nVidia Graphics Driver and Sleep Function

1. So, after rebooting by typing -s at the boot: prompt and waiting for the prompt

:/ root# to appear (I had to boot -s twice and press Enter after the static cursor appeared to get the prompt; you may not need to), type each of the following lines, followed by Enter and then waiting for :/ root# to re-appear:

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*.kext

followed finally by exit.

"logout" will then appear on screen followed by "Jettisoning kernel linker" and the rest of the verbose booting screen, resulting in successful booting into the OS X Welcome screen and music..... :dev:

2. The System Profiler shows under Graphics/Displays, 1024x768 resolution 32-bit Color depth and 32MB VRAM with Software Driven CI and QE Not Supported, and against Kernel Extension Info: No kext loaded

I used Mysticus C*'s 10.5.2 Graphics Update Installer and ran the "10.5.2 Full Gfx Update v1.1.mpkg" file with ONLY the following options selected:

1.0Gfx Update + Latest Macbook (selected by default) Y

Main Kernel & System Drivers � (First folder)

Netkas - 9.2.0 sleep kernel Y

Main Kernel & System Drivers � (Second folder)

VGA �

Nvidia �

NVinject256MB Y (All other RAM options N)

And rebooted with -v -f successfully�. In the System Profiler I had

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA,

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

plus 1152x870@75Hz resolution 32-bit Color depth with Hardware Accelerated CI and QE Supported�.. :P

I then chose 1280x1024@75Hz resolution in Display Preferences and got as usual a blank blue screen, so I rebooted with -v successfully without any hang-ups�.. In the System Profiler I now had 1280x1024@75Hz resolution 32-bit Color depth and 256MB VRAM with Hardware Accelerated CI and QE Supported�.. :P

UPDATE: To get switchable resolutions on-the-fly, try swapping the monitor DVI or VGA (via VGA-to-DVI adapter) connector to the other DVI port on the GFX card.....this tip, from cyclonefr, has worked for me.

3. At this point iATKOS v2.0i (10.5.2) was running fine with Internet access, simple audio playback on iTunes Radio, USB device mounting/un-mounting, network file sharing�..In order to get full audio functions, I ran the Taruga_AD1988b_rev3_Installer package�.check out http://wiki.taruga.net/tiki-index.php..... :P or from

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=30545

4. I rebooted with -v with full Intel HDA function restored, both Sleep function and USB device mounting/unmounting working, as well as network sharing �.. I finally Repaired Permissions without any permissions errors remaining�.. a fully working OS X 10.5.2 system��

5. I then modified the com.apple.Boot.plist file (see Part I for reason why....) as follows:

Go to the Terminal, and at the $ prompt, type in

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Enter your password when requested. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the cursor within the Terminal window.

Type in (without any spaces anywhere)

maxmem=3072

between <string> and </string> under <key>Kernel Flags</key>.

Move the cursor the Terminal window down until it no longer moves, then press Ctrl-O (i.e. ^O) and then Enter, to save the modified com.apple.Boot.plist file.

Press Ctrl-X (i.e. ^X) to Exit and type "exit" at the $ prompt to log out of the Terminal and then close and quit Terminal.

I then rebooted with -v and Repaired Permissions, and enjoyed my success in achieving what I set out to do.... :P

IF NOT SEE TROUBLESHOOTING SECTION AT END OF GUIDE......

Part III - Clone install of either a Kalyway or iATKOS v2.0i Leopard 10.5.2 OS installed on an internal HDD

1. Boot into OS X on the internal HDD, and on Darwin boot loader appearance, press any key quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v" (without quotes).

2. When OS X is up and running, if you do not already have Carbon Copy Cloner 3.1.1 installed, then download it from http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

and install it in Applications....Carbon Copy Cloner 3.1.1 will attempt a block-level clone if the target volume is at least as large as the source volume but if not a file-level copy will occur.....

3. Run Carbon Copy Cloner 3.1.1 with "Backup everything" selected under Cloning options: and check the "Erase the target volume" box, then having selected the Source Disk (this can be either a Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 install or an iATKOS v2.0i Leopard 10.5.2 install) and the Target Disk, press "Clone"....When the cloning operation has completed, click Ok and close Carbon Copy Cloner 3.1.1.

4. Place the iATKOS v2.0i in the DVDRW drive and boot it by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the "Boot Menu", then selecting the DVDRW Drive and pressing Enter.

If you do not possess the iATKOS v2.0i DVD, you can use the iATKOS v1.0ir3 regular version with MD5

MD5 iAtkos 1.0i R3 regular= 3F3D063873469A5357F392D027843C10

or, the iATKOS v1.0i r2 - EqUaTe1 patched DVD downloaded from Internet space..... :dev:

When using iATKOS v1.0i R3 regular or iATKOS v1.0i r2 - EqUaTe1, in Step 7. below, you should select ONLY the Darwin EFI bootloader - NOTHING ELSE!

5. When the Darwin Bootloader appears, press F8 quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type (without quotes) "cpus=1 maxmem=2048 -v" and press Enter.

6. When the iATKOS 2.01 DVD Installer is running, "Click the button to continue...", then click on "Continue" in the Welcome window, followed by "Agree" in the next opo-up window, and in the Select a Destination window, select the volume you have just cloned OS X onto and press "Continue".

7. In the Install Summary window, press "Customize" and in the Package Name pop-up window, select ONLY Darwin Bootloader - NOTHING ELSE! and press "Done" to return to the Install Summary window, press "Install".

8. Ignore the "Install Failed" message window that will appear after the install has completed, and just click "Restart".

9. When all processes are killed and DVD drive activity stops and the re-boot "beep" sounds, remove the DVD and boot from the Internal HDD or from the External USB 2.0 / eSATA HDD by pressing F8 at boot-up to bring up the "Boot Menu", then selecting the Internal HDD or External HDD (which will be shown as either a SATA drive or USB drive depending on how it has been connected to the PC) and pressing Enter.

10. When the Darwin Bootloader appears, press any key quickly and at the "boot:" prompt, type (without quotes) "-v" and press Enter.

11. When the cloned OS X system is booted up and running, then Eject the iATKOS Install DVD, open Disk utility and Repair Permissions, and enjoy another success.... :dev:

SOME TROUBLESHOOTING.....

1. If you are running with a SATA HDD and/or a SATA DVDRW you could experience some problems......

1.1 You may be able to boot the OS X Installer DVD.....maybe even use Disk Utility......but some time later during the install process, the system freezes with you being able to move the mouse about but not select any actions etc..... On the frozen verbose (when the -v boot flag is chosen) boot process screen (white text on black background), you may see as the last error messages before the white block cursor

"Still waiting for root device"

"IOATAController blocking bus."

This problem is not limited to nForce chipset MOBOs, as this forum post on installing OS X using iATKOS v1.0i shows:

Teun H The DVD boot procedure ended up with "Still waiting for root device"

Last real message is "IOATAController device blocking bus"

My test-hardware: Gigabyte mainboard: GA-81945GMH-RH with SATA disk and SATA DVD player.

Note the MOBO is different with Intel chipsets.....I am not 100% certain of the cause and solution to the problem yet......I would be happy to be enlightened on this......for the benefit of myself and others..... :dev:

As Mysticus C* has noted in his excellent nForce chipset + Intel CPU install guide:

Note: Some People may have issue with DVD stop reading after a while, this is nothing to do with this DVD, but it s related to nforce chipset, after 5-7 mins DVD drive likes to sleep :P and cannot wake up... weird enough, to avoid this from happening, move your mouse around the screen every 3-4 mins... trust me, it is the only way at the moment...

so, this "work around" solution to this "falling asleep" of the DVDRW could have a beneficial effect here too.....I do not know.....but you lose nothing by trying it if you are getting these error messages....

1.2 If, during the boot process, the system freezes, and on the frozen verbose (when the -v boot flag is chosen) boot process screen (white text on black background), you see as the error messages before the white block cursor

"SAM MEDIA READ / WRITE failed"

then there is an incompatibility between your SATA DVDRW and the nForceATA driver on the install DVD.....such as a missing DEVICE ID......

Or, if only the following error message appears

then it means your SATA HDD is not being recognised due to a missing DEVICE ID.....and/or to a similar unknown incompatibility as with the SATA DVDRW.......

These two potential problems are highlighted in the same Mysticus C* guide:

5-a-) If you see an error message saying "SAM MEDIA READ / WRITE failed and continued with Still waiting for root device" or something similar during the DVD boot, it means nforceata driver that is supplied on this DVD is not compatible if you used a SATA DVD Drive, which means you will have to exchange it with PATA (IDE) one.

5-b-) If it just says "Still waiting for root device" it is your SATA HDD, is not recognized due to missing DEV ICE id or incompatibility as the SATA DVD drive. Fixing this involves two installations and some editing, no direct solution unless you inject edited nforceata driver to the DVD.

Solution: I recommend you search, read and ask questions in the relevant InsanelyMac fora and threads (and elsewhere in other OS X x86 fora via google....).....I do hope you find the answers to these SATA related problems for your particular PC system...... :P

2. If you even have difficulty booting from the OS X Installer DVD, then you may have

(i) A corrupted OS X Installer DVD.....

Solution: Check that the iso.image MD5 checksum is CORRECT and burn the .iso image SLOWLY (≤ x4)

(ii) Incorrect BIOS settings for installing and running OS X......

For this overclocked Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO, the main working BIOS settings are:

Primary IDE Master [TSSTcorp CDDVDW]

SATA 1 [Hitachi HDD]

SATA 2 [samsung HDD]

SATA 3 [samsung HDD]

HDD SMART Monitoing [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Type [s3 (STR)]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

Serial-ATA Controller [Enabled]

RAID Enabled [Disabled]

OnChip IDE Channel0 [Enabled]

IDE DMA transfer access [Enabled]

IDE Prefetch Mode [Enabled]

HD Audio [Auto]

Onboard 1394 [Enabled]

USB [all options enabled]

Dual Onboard LAN [still enabled by me because of their use by Vista and Ubuntu - causes me no problems as I use a PCI-NIC for OS X]

Memory Timing Setting [All AUTO]

Spread Spectrum Control [All DISABLED] - for maximum performance

CPU Internal Thermal Control [AUTO]

Limit CPUID MaxVal [DISABLED]

Enhanced C1 (C1E) [DISABLED]

Execute Disable Bit [ENABLED]

Virtualization Technology [DISABLED] Does not appear to make a difference whether ENABLED or DISABLED.

Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology [DISABLED]

LDT Frequency [5x]

plus the overclocking settings for the FSB and voltages.....see my Overclocking blog entry for these..... :P

Solution: Check that you have the correct BIOS settings for your MOBO....for example.....

Configure SATA as "AHCI" or Serial-ATA Configuration [Enabled]

JMicron SATA / PATA Controller [Disabled].....if JMicron present.....unless it works for you [Enabled].....but JMicron is known to cause problems for some....but JMicron patches for OS X Install DVDs are now appearing......

JMicron Controller Mode [AHCI]....if present.....

As regards JMicron Controllers, as pointed out by Mysticus C* in his thread here, the RAM limitation of 2GB in Dual Channel Mode (or if you have > 2GB RAM in Dual Channel Mode, setting "maxmem = 3072...[or higher if you can do so and retain stable running of OS X....]" or "maxmem=2048" applies to nForce chipsets and for the JMicron Controller Mode [iDE/SATA]......not when using JMicron Controller Mode [AHCI] with original drivers so 4GB RAM should not be a problem...... Furthermore, mtotho, who states in his thread

This Guide probably works on most of the P35-DS3* Series or any well supported Motherboard, it is a very general guide.**

-It is reported working for sure under the P35-DS3L, DS3 Boards, and most P35/ICH9 Gigabyte boards, Asus P5W DH Deluxe, any Asus with ICH7+ Chipsets (And most Boards with ICH7+ Chipsets).

-I would reccomend a different path for Nforce/Sli/AMD Chipset users.

also has this entry

Question/Problem: I am getting random kernel panics (Grey screen that tells you to restart).

Answer: You have 4GB of ram in Dual channel right? Your not running in AHCI mode right? 4GB of ram is finicky. To solve Kernel panics, enable AHCI (if possible) or set maxmem(see KNOWN ISSUES).

So the generally agreed RAM limitation issue fix for non-nForce chipset MOBOs is to set "AHCI" mode....but if your BIOS does not offer this, then you should try the "maxmem fix"..... :P

Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

ACPI Suspend Mode [s3] or [s1] or [s1 and S3]

Unless like myself you have a reason not to, then disable the onboard LAN if it does not work under OS X for you......as is the case with nForce chipset MOBOs...... :graduated:

Check in Insanelymac forum for further guidance as to which settings are critical or not for your MOBO.....I have put in bold the ones I understand to be important......<