I did something really bad

lasagnaguy

20 posts in this topic

Hi,

My Dell 9150 on OS X 10.4.7 was running fine until few minutes ago.

I have 3 real Macs at home, so when I saw the update, I installed it on my Macs AND on my Dell PC. I know, the system updates must be patched before installation on OSX86 but I installed it anyway... Yes, that was stupid. And my Staple's Easy Button cant help me on this one. Can I revert what I done ? I am in trouble now...

Thank you, thank you !!!

that was just so stupid, you deserve this. And no there is no "easy staples button" to get you out. You can revert but, you need to do it manually bit by bit, figuring out what files got overwritten by the 10.4.8 installer. hint hint: run lsbom on the bom archive. If it was me I would write a perl/ruby script that will copy the output of lsbom and copy matching files from the Jas 10.4.7 update (use ditto -x to extract to a temp root). Its not that hard setting all this up.

-Victor

Guest bikedude880
that was just so stupid, you deserve this. And no there is no "easy staples button" to get you out. You can revert but, you need to do it manually bit by bit, figuring out what files got overwritten by the 10.4.8 installer. hint hint: run lsbom on the bom archive. I would wrote a perl script that will copy the output of lsbom and copy matching files from the Jas 10.4.7 update. Its not that heard if you know perl. And before you ask, no I will not write it for you.

-Victor

Dude, give the guy a break. He made a mistake. Lot's of people have done this before and we've helped them. And it's much easier to just use Pacifist to get the files out of the .pkg file.

Thank you, you are all fast :-P I will reinstall on another partition, backup my data, and after this I will think of what to do. You know, with a lot of real Macs in the office, I forgot that the Dell was a, uh, Dell.

And sorry for my poor English guys.

it's much easier to just use Pacifist to get the files out of the .pkg file.

Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy.

The affected files are:

- Extensions (/System/Library/Extensions/*.*)

- Kernel.Framework (/System/Library/Frameworks/Kernel.framework)

- mach_kernel (/mach_kernel)

- decrypted files

Extensions - the 10.4.7 installer doesn't install the 10.4.7 kexts, so you would need to go to the install DVD and extract the extensions from the Essentials.pkg. Also, most of the "packages" you install under Customize install specially modified kexts. You would need to extract them from each of those packages. Then you need to restore all the modifications you made for sound, networking, video, etc. And if you installed old versions of some kexts for some patch, would have to find them, download them and install them.

Kernel.framework and mach_kernel - these get modified depending on whether you choose SSE2 or SSE3. You would have to go to the right SSEx.pkg and extract them.

Decrypted files - would need to run the SemjaZa decrypts installer.

And pray...

I would do the previous suggestion. Install to a new partition. Then go into the Utilities folder and run the Migration assistant to bring your data over from the old partition to the new partition. (or copy stuff over manually). You are still going to be stuck making your old network, sound, video mods like before.

Then if you are brave, go into Disk Utility and use the Restore function to copy the new partition back to the old partition. Then putz around with the bootloader to get it to recognize your old partition without throwing up HFS+ partition errors. Once you are able to safely boot into your restored old partition, then you can blow away the new partition.

Once you are able to safely boot into your restored old partition, then you can blow away the new partition.

Or not - I keep two bootable partitions of OSX around so I can test modifications on one while maintaining a workable installation on the other. You might decide to keep the new partition so that you have two installations to work with in case of problems.

I am backing up my broken OS X installation on a second partition, and then I will do a clean install over the broken installation and just recover my files from the backup. It should work and it will be much simpler. If only I had done a backup before updating my system ! We should all do daily backups, and we all know that, but only few are doing it :blink:

(wow, is this a correct sentence ? I must practice my English :blink:)