Me and my new hackintosh (hopefully)

Cain

4 posts in this topic

Ok, I thought I start off this blog with a little background about me to add a bit of context to the later posts.

First of all, I'm a big gamer and I'm a C# programmer, which pretty much makes me a Windows guy. I'm also an electronic engineer though, which means I use Linux a lot too. Up until now, I haven't had much chance to use OSX, and I couldn't justify the cost of a Mac just so I could try it out. I do like to keep an open mind about technology though, and I've always been interested in what was happening in the Apple world even if I wasn't using their products much myself. When I first found out about the osx86 project a long time ago I tried it out on my computer, but the hardware wasn't very compatible and while I did manage to get it to boot, almost nothing worked and it was extremely slow. I wasn't interested in buying a new computer at the time, so my experiments ended for a while, but I still kept checking the osx86project and related websites regularly.

I have just recently built myself a new computer, and while I didn't go out of the way to get OS X compatible parts, I did check the compatibility lists while deciding what to buy so that I could at least ensure I didn't buy anything that was known to be incompatible. Here's what I ended up with:

Motherboard: DFI Infinity 975X/G

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Memory: 2GB Corsair Twin2x DDR2 XMS2-6400

Graphics Card: 256MB Albatron GeForce 7600

Hard Drives: 2x Western Digital 320GB SATA2 drives for data. OS X will be installed on a 80GB PATA drive

Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-111D

I haven't seen any information about anyone having tried the DFI motherboard yet, but I have seen reports of success (no problems at all) with both the CPU and Optical drive. I haven't seen any reports about the other parts either, but people have had success with very similar parts so I'm hoping it'll go ok for me and I'll update the compatibility lists with my results when the installation is done.

Hopefully my next post will be from OS X on my hackintosh :dev:.

• 4 weeks later...

If your system is working ok than you have a great hackintosh.I have just brought the same mother, Infinity 975X/G, but have not buy all theparts, graphic card and RAM, to complete a working hackintosh.I would be very interested if you can please tell me a little more on howthe mainboard and the onboard components are working in a hachintosh setting.Thanks if responsed.

It took me a couple of goes to get it right, but it is working now. For the onboard components, I wasn't able to get networking or audio working yet. And I also had to install OS X on a PATA drive because it couldn't detect my sata drives. I also don't have Quartz Extreme or Core Image, but that would be because of the graphics card, not the motherboard.Unfortunately a computer isn't much use to me without network access, so I haven't been using OS X much yet. I decided to wait a little while and see if it's supported better in a future release, otherwise I'll probably try getting a seperate network card from the hardware compatability lists.

Guest Guest: bottleNeckKiller_*

I do not know why SATA is not working for you.It is kind of strange because ICH7R supports SATA.The main reason I brought this mainboard was to getsupport for SATA. This is very bad. The user that gotthe ICH7R to work with SATA had to put an odd SATA setting in theBIOS but it was a different mainboard.