Won't restart after 10.6.8 combo update to iAtkos 7

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Stupidly thought iAtkos 7 would update me from 10.6.5 to 10.6.8 no problem today, found out I was wrong. Now it won't restart. I have a dual-boot system so I can log in to an older version of OSX and alter any extensions I need to - Ive already looked at the library extensions and arranged the folder by date modified so can pinpoint the problem hopefully.

I also have a screenshot of the frozen system in verbose mode but as I'm posting from phone, I'm not sure how to upload.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

C

Would removing the updated kexts and replacing them with the kexts from the older but functioning system work?

It should. What is the hardware you are using? Most more or less compatible systems may run retail OS X which is far less prone to brake due to updates.

Apologies, I should've listed my hardware...I must admit it's fairly old and I forget a lot of the specs, I've been looking at upgrading lately. I have a GM31 board, Nvidia Graphics Card, Intel processor - sorry, I can't be more specific. My soundcard is external.

Everything had been working perfectly for years till this. I deleted the Sleepenabler kext and it no longer has a kernal panic on start up. Instead, it hangs on the Apple sign when starting. Do I need to replace the Sleepenabler kext with one specific to 10.6.8?

When I start using -v, -x, -f, -s, -v -x it won't load up either, still hangs.

Sorry again for being so vague - if there's anything I can do to speed this up, let me know and I'll do so when I'm back at the computer later.

Thanks so much for responding too - it's greatly appreciated!

Also, I did try moving my old kexts in place here but it never worked.

The hardware does look compatible with retail OS X. You could try installing it.

Alternatively you can clone the working system in place of the failing to boot one and start over.

-v = verbose boot i.e. no Apple logo, just plain text messages are displayed. This is helpful as you can see where the system stops booting and hopefully to fix it. Try booting with -v only and read the messages it should stop somewhere (it could be "Still waiting for root device" problem or more likely "PCI configuration begin").

Also tried the below instructions with no luck:

Open terminal

Write: sudo -s and press enter

Enter your password when asked and press enter

Write: vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and press enter

In the vi editor use the arrow keys on the keyboard and navigate the cursor to the tag: after the <key>Kernel Flags< /key > line.

The string tag might be empty or not, if it is not empty then add space and then write: rd=diskX where X is your hard drive number.

Press keyboard button Esc (in order to exit insert mode)

Write: :wq and press enter (notice the : sign)

Then reboot and thats it

As I have stated in my previous replay you have "Still waiting for root device" problem (the last line in the bottom of screen). Usually this indicates that there is a problem with disk controller driver. The AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext doesn't load hence the Still waiting for root device" problem.

There many other kexts that doesn't load, including FakeSMC, which is essential for the OS X to run on PC hardware.

Looks like you have a mix of old/new kexts that doesn't work at all.

Sorry for all the messages, hope they're not sending loads of notifications to your phone or anything!

So I need to replace all the non-functional kexts to get this working again? It's all the original ones so I assume they just weren't compatible?

It's probably would be easier to do a clean retail install, then trying to fix it.

Any distro conains some amount of original and patched kexts. It's hard to say what is what, probably only creators of the above distro could tell this. Only with retail install everything is clear enough, as you know what was added/fixed.