Acer V5-171BIOS 2.13 Walkthrough and files

Crabhunter

3 posts in this topic

Acer V5-171 Mountain Lion Guide

This guide is for creating a USB installer and requires access to a real Mac or an existing hackingtosh. It has been a while since I installed it on mine so it is possible I have missed something.

If so and you encounter a problem post it here in this thread and I will try to fill in anything I missed.

I have copied quite a bit of it from this thread;

http://www.insanelym...-for-beginners/

It will require a change of wireless card as the one supplied is not compatible, this means losing bluetooth unless someone knows of a combined card that is compatible.

I swopped mine for an Atheros AR5B93 which cost £6 off e-bay and took 5mins to fit.

I have included all the files you need below.

1. In your working OS X install open Disk Utility

2. Click on your USB drive in the left sidebar

3. Click the “Partition” tab

4. Under “Partition Layout” click “1 Partition”

5. Click Options -> select “GUID Partition Table”; check the format is set to “Mac OS X Extended (Journeled)”; name it “USB”

6. Click Apply

1. Show hidden files in finder by opening Terminal (in utilities) and typing (copy / pasting) the following:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

then

killall Finder

2. Mount your Mountain Lion DMG. If using a copy downloaded from the app store: Navigate to Applications (which is where it will save your downloaded copy of ML by default) -> right click "Install OS X Mountain Lion" and click "Show Package Contents" -> Contents -> SharedSupport -> Double click "InstallESD.dmg"

3. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal:

open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

4. Go back to disk utility and click on “Mac OS X Base System”, click the “Restore” tab then drag and drop your USB to “destination” and click restore then erase. This will take a while.

5. You’ll now have 2 “Mac OS X Base System”s present in Finder, right click them and “get info” to determine which is your USB drive (hint: look at the size).

6. Navigate to the one which is your USB drive, open it and go to /System/Installation. Delete the “Packages” link then create a folder called “Packages”.

7. Open a new Finder window and navigate to “Mac OS X Install ESD”. Copy everything inside the packages folder to the packages folder you have just created. This will take a while.

8. Copy mach_kernel from “Mac OS X Install ESD” to the root of your USB drive.

A note for those wishing to boot OS X and Windows on the same HDD

(This is not recommended but may be necessary for those installing on laptops)

The OS X installer won’t install to an MBR partition scheme which Windows requires so we must patch the installer to allow this. If you intend on dual-booting OS X and Windows then I suggest you install Windows and update to Service Pack 1 before you install OS X to prevent problems updating to SP1 later. How to patch:

1. On the USB stick navigate to /System/Installation/Packages/. Delete OSInstall.mpkg and replace it with the one supplied.

2. On the USB stick navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/. Delete OSInstall and replace it with the one supplied.

Hide hidden files in finder by opening Terminal and typing:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

then

killall Finder

In finder right click on the usb stick, select get info and rename it to USB

Now install Chimera to the USB installer

Now copy the Extra folder, the Extension folder, boot1h, Chimera 1.11.1 and Kext Wizard to the USB installer

Time to install OSX :)

1. Stick the USB drive in the computer you wish to install ML on and boot from your USB drive. If you’re unsure how to do this when your computer first turns on look for a prompt that says “Press X for boot selection menu” (where X is a key) or something of that effect. Common keys are F8 & F12.

2. When Chameleon comes up press enter to boot OS X. The OS X installer should boot. Go to the utilities menu and click disk utility. Select the disk / partition you wish to install OS X to, call it "OS X" and format it as “Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)” (See Part 2.A. if you’re a bit rusty with disk utility). N.B. For those dual booting on the same HDD as Windows ensure you've got the Partition Scheme as MBR.

3. Follow the installer to install OS X to the desired partition.

4. Once the installer is finished it will reboot, on reboot boot back into the install USB and select your osx installation.

Once in OSX install Chimera, then copy the extra folder to the OSX partition and use kext Wizard to install all the kexts in Extensions to System'Library/Extensions the delete the Extensions folder in Extra.

Now to fix the boot0 problem

Reboot into the USB installer and choose the installer not OSX.

Open up disk utility and unmount the OSX partition

exit disk utility and open up the terminal

Type cd /Volumes/"USB" including the ""

Type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s1 Assuming OSX is on your first partition

Quit terminal and reboot, you should be able to boot OSX without the usb installer.

Files.zip

Audio.zip

ElanTouchpad_2_1_3_Mountain_Lion.zip

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there i have very similar laptop, the 571. Is it possible for you to list which changes you did to enable hd4000 i cannot get it to boot without -x because it freezes either on spinning beach ball or even before on black screen after dsmos has arrived..

I added these two lines to my org.chameleon.boot.plist

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>7f0000000100000001000000730000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04002c0000004100410050004c002c00690067002d0070006c006100740066006f0072006d002d006900640000000800000003006601140000006800640061002d0067006600780000000d0000006f6e626f6172642d31</string>

Mike