Tuvok86

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, this is my pc:

i5 3570k

GA-Z77-D3H

7970 GHZ

16GB ram

256gb 840pro ssd

I managed to install the latest ML 10.8.3 easily from extarnl HDD with UEFI into the SSD, now when I boot into it seems to work fine, I can hear the funky wellcome tune playing, I can even see and move the mouse cursor (which stops at screen edges so the resolution should be right/supported), but all the rest of the screen is white and I can't do anything.

I tried booting with the integrated gpu but the UEFI boot screen doesn't even come up (stuck at black screen with blinking prompt)

Any suggestion?

You need to boot into terminal and run these commands:

mkdir /Volumes/Your HDD Name/ati_backup

mv /Volumes/Your HDD Name/System/Library/Extensions/ATI7000Controller.kext /Volumes/Your HDD Name/ati_backup/

Then boot with GraphicsEnabler=No

• Like 1

Cool thanks a lot that was easy! I'm now writing from macosx!

so it looks like it's not using graphic acceleration now?

Yes you can, update to 10.8.3 with trough a combo update. I think it should work when you update, but if it doesn't you need that kext from ati_backup and install that one. And in bios do this settings:

Init Display First: IGFX

Internal Graphics: Disabled

• Like 1

Cool thanks again, I'll give it a try this evening!

To reinstall the kext I just need to move it back to the original position?

Another problem I have is that I can only boot into the new mac partition via the USB Flash drive boot manager. If I set the new mac drive as the primary boot device windows boots from the old drive

Cool thanks again, I'll give it a try this evening!

To reinstall the kext I just need to move it back to the original position?

Another problem I have is that I can only boot into the new mac partition via the USB Flash drive boot manager. If I set the new mac drive as the primary boot device windows boots from the old drive

Just place the kext in with the app Kext Utility it will automatically repair permissions and cache. What happens when you set windows as the first boot device?

• Like 1

It just boots fine if I start from the windows drive.

Just tried the Combo Update and it went back to white screen again, I had to take out the .kext again from terminal.

I've read that it's quite normal for 7970 and going to sleep and resuming fixes it but when I push the power button my pc turns off, restarts and hangs at BIOS logo...

the modified dsdt file, where should I put that? Inside the Extra folder?

Yes, i am now editing the DSDT but i need you to tell me the device id of the device and where it is located with ioreg

• 4 months later...

Hi, first of all a big thanks to Rogiervd - since nobody said this before...

It helped me to work with a working OSX via my HD7970 - to some (un-)satisfactory degree...

Well, anyway - where to begin with?

I am trying to finalize my Hackintosh properly - without success so far. Hence, I am writing this post to ask for your help - this includes Rogiervd and any other individual...

:-)

So: I have:

- MacOSX 10.8.4

Sapphire ATI Radeon VAPOR-X HD 7970 

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

What is working:

With Chameleon I can use my Mac via the Gigabyte graphic card - but only on a "basic graphic mode" with ATI7000Controller.kext removed and GE=No.

With installed ATI7000Controller.kext and GE=No it is only working in -x mode.

With GE=Yes it shows quickly after start a Memory allocation error.

So: On my wish list:

A working MacOS with a full support of my HD 7970.

For any help I am thankful!

Cheers!

UPDATE:

after new and clean install it worked!

BUT:

It appears that the system "should" have been working previously, because my system is not working properly if I plug in my TV screen via HDMI. 
FIRST:
Once this is plugged in during start up: I get 2 white screens - no "sleep-trick" is working (the fb-rotate does its job already). Then I disconnect the TV: and I get my computer screen working fine with my desktop.
SECOND:
Once the system is working (with desktop on my computer screen) and I plugin my TV screen then I get a white screen at my computer screen and I can see the desktop on the TV screen, however, no input is working on this screen. Once I disconnect the TV again, then all the input made previously (that should have appeared on the TV screen) is then to see on the computer screen.

icon_wtf.gif

Any suggestions?

Another great forum provided some insight:

If you use the rotate trick for more than one screen it's:

/Users/rene/Downloads/fb-rotate/fb-rotate -d 0 -r 90
/Users/rene/Downloads/fb-rotate/fb-rotate -d 0 -r 0
/Users/rene/Downloads/fb-rotate/fb-rotate -d 1 -r 90
/Users/rene/Downloads/fb-rotate/fb-rotate -d 1 -r 0

0 = first screen
1 = second screen enz....

BUT I am still not there...

Great thanks - I have something on the second screen.

However: not what I would have expected: the screen(s) are there - but still no input!

the 2nd fb-rotate and Chutoro doesn't help...

BTW: the second screen only shows up, once I have unplugged the HDMI for a moment from the GFX-card - then the input is freezing, until I unplug the HDMI again...

Still any other solutions available, please?
icon_eek.gif