InsanelyMac Forum
Kosta88

Apple Bluetooth Module

We got any electrical engineers here? :) I am definitely not one, and trying to not to damage my BT dongle.

I got myself an original Apple Bluetooth dongle, A1114, complete with an antenna and a connector.

So I have to reduce the voltage from 5V to 3,3V.

For that I bought a simple voltage regulator. TO-220, https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Components/LD1117V33.pdf

According to the guy in the shop this should do just nice regulating 5V down to 3,3V on the USB port.

My questions:

I also read I could drop the 3,3V from the PSU, since the orange wire provides 3,3V, however some say it might be unstable or not good for the dongle. Correct?? I mean, I do have a very good PSU, Corsair HX750.

Do I have to put anything else around the voltage regulator, or would it be enough to connect the input/output (left/right connector) to the corresponding wires giving power on the USB connector and the Apple Module, and just connect both ground to the middle pin?

Advertisement

OK thanks, however I didn't get diodes, but the voltage regulator. According to the guy in the store, this should do well too... my only question is if I need anything else but the voltage regulator?

All PSUs should have a stand-by voltage which is +3.3V. So it should be (in theory) OK to use it. The other question is whenever it is good idea for the module to be powered constantly (as a stand-by voltage is supplied even if a PC is turned off). The conversion route (+5V --> +3.3V), IMO would be a safer way to go.

my only question is if I need anything else but the voltage regulator?
I guess no. It should be enough. It's not a CPU after all :)

If it were always on, then I could probably power up the computer with the BT device, mouse or a keyboard I reckon. Otherwise on the USB, no chance... or?

If it were always on, then I could probably power up the computer with the BT device, mouse or a keyboard I reckon. Otherwise on the USB, no chance... or?

I guess what's why on Macs the module is powered from PSU stand-by circuit so it is could be possible to use a BT keyboard/mouse on boot (though the firmware, read EFI, should also support this as in fact it does).

OK, so if the circuit i powered permanently on the real mac, then i could as well put it on the standby 3,3v on my PSU too? However finding a free SATA connector on my PSU might be a challenge, and I am not keen to cut the connector, I hope I can solve it somehow differently? I guess I could also put it onto molex, just put the wire into the connector, however I would need to use the voltage regulator again... however, does molex also supply 500mA?

OK, so if the circuit i powered permanently on the real mac, then i could as well put it on the standby 3,3v on my PSU too?
I was wrong on the voltage, sorry! The standby voltage for ATX PSU (according to Wikipedia) is +5V, not +3.3V.
I hope I can solve it somehow differently?
http://en.wikipedia....unit_(computer) See the 24-pin connector diagram.
however, does molex also supply 500mA?
You can check how much current can be supplied per rail (Max value) on your PSU. It has a sticker with that info. Usually Molex CAN supply much more than 0.5A. The question is how much current the BT model need and does it have a current limiting circuit on-board? If it doesn't, then you'd need a some sort of resistors to limit the supplied current to the value needed.

The 24pin is on the mobo, so patching in is giving me an itch.

I'll see about the molex, however the best solution would definitely be a sata connector, if I could somehow just put the wire in to tap the 3,3v... hmmm...

If you have a dead SATA HDD/dvd drive around, then a male to female SATA connector could be made. Or you can use this one

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4399d98d6a (minde the price :) ) There are probably more affordable options, just bother to search the ebay/internets...

Yeah, I bothered, and thanks for finding this. I actually had an idea of buying a male/female sata power extension cable, should be easy to find, for couple of €, and then just cutting off the connector, connect to the psu sata, and use the 3,3v cable...

heres some pic of my homemade bluetooth mod .

put on to a old wifi card backplate. with some help of a bit of screenwash bottle and velcro and a zip ties

COST: Nothing (just a bit of brain power)

Not on Ebay. BUY NOW PRICE: A mansion in Beverly Hills and a V10 FORD MUSTANG (Joking) :angel_not:

post-342888-0-26497000-1367522923_thumb.jpg

post-342888-0-17888000-1367522949_thumb.jpg