Compaq V2000 - Replacing Intel 3945abg with Broadcom wireless

harms39

3 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about getting a mini PCI Broadcom wireless card for my V2000, because my laptop has the Intel wireless and it doesn't work in OSX86. Has anyone tried swapping out the wireless? Any issues? Also, does anyone know where to get the Broadcom card?

UPDATE: I talked to the people at HP and they have told me that I could swap the card and the HP model number is 407159-001 and I found that the broadcom model number is BCM94311MCG. Unfortunately the card costs $86 dollars through HP and I haven't found anything cheaper. Does anyone know where to get this?!?!

I'm thinking about getting a mini PCI Broadcom wireless card for my V2000, because my laptop has the Intel wireless and it doesn't work in OSX86. Has anyone tried swapping out the wireless? Any issues? Also, does anyone know where to get the Broadcom card?

UPDATE: I talked to the people at HP and they have told me that I could swap the card and the HP model number is 407159-001 and I found that the broadcom model number is BCM94311MCG. Unfortunately the card costs $86 dollars through HP and I haven't found anything cheaper. Does anyone know where to get this?!?!

I'm not positive, but i think the 3945abg is a mini pci-express card which is different from the mini pci cards. I bought a dell 1390 for my HP dv2000t but HP has a bios lock on unsupported (Read: not from HP) wireless cards so the computer won't boot with it installed. If i could find a way to flash the cards eeprom i might be able to make my laptop think it is the 3945abg. However, I also recommend sending HP an email about how frustrated you are about their lock on non-HP hardware.

Yea, I've heard about the BIOS lock, which is why I'm not going to get any card that isn't actually an HP part. I wonder if we can use a different miniPCI broadcom card as long as it's rebadged by HP/Compaq...

As for the miniPCI vs. mini pci express, when I talked to someone from HP tech support (you can actually chat with someone online...and they are helpfull. It's pretty sweet) they told me that I can swap out the 3945abg for the broadcom and they even sent me a pdf with directions on how to get to the card, so I don't think that should be an issue.