[FIXED] Suddenly ethernet not working

nyolc8

7 posts in this topic

I'm using my machine behind a router. Everything worked perfectly until now. Today after I restarted the pc, my ethernet getting wrong IP (totally random IP), nothing can connect to internet. In System Preferences > Network, it says connected and there is an IP address which changes almost everytime I push the re-assign dhcp thing button there. Now here is the strange part. If I disconnect the router, OSX react immidiatelly as says disconnected. If i connect the router, it connects but with wrong IP, and no router address, etc... So the network card works, it connects to the router, It's recognized that the router is connected or not, but I can't even get to the router admin site in browser. The problem exist only in OSX, in Windows it works fine. Any idea what could I do? (tried: restarting router, restarting pc, shutdown pc) :wallbash:

try delete the kext for your card, delete too /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist , repairPermissions with KextWizard and reboot

now install the kext for your card and repair permissions, reboot

now go and add interface Ethernet and look if this work, if not try change yours dns for a free dns and put your ip fixed by hand not dhcp

Already tried to remove networkinterfaces.plist... No persmission problems.... Now I'm on windows and opened the router admin panel and I see that from osx it used a totally new MAC address... not my ethernet card's MAC address... so... It looks like it wants to use another hardware to connect the internet or something... but it says in OSX that the realtek ethernet used and the cable connection detected by osx because it reacts immidiatelly if I disconnect or turn offthe router. So I totally don't understand what the hell happened... Only one thing I did, I ran "smart lan" testing utility in BIOS and the problem persist since that.

but the kext I used always is worked perfectly until today 18:38. At today 18:43 it's not working anymore. So five minute difference between working ethernet and not working ethernet console messages...

You said the problem just exists in OSX so there is a high possibility that it is the driver's fault. I used to have the exact problem you described with the lnx2mac driver which seemed to appear randomly.

Finnally found out that the problem causes by started "SMART LAN" in BIOS. It's a diagnostic tool that only tells you the cable length... I ran it because why not... :D And it broke the ethernet card somehow. I found the same problem described here, so just needed to pull out the power plug from the PC, plug back in and voila it works. Still don't understand why it worked in Windows when it was broken in OSX... But it works now in both OS :D

• Like 2