dual boot OSX ML/Win8 on Asus P8Z77-M PRO

lukas95np

12 posts in this topic

Hi everybody;

i would install Mountain Lion on my assembled pc: MB p8z77-mpro, cpu i5 3570, gpu nvidia gtx 660, 8gb ram.

i already have an Imac with Mountain Lion, so it's easy to me to create the bootable pen drive.

Now i would ask you:

Is it possible to make a dual boot with my actual os win8? without a complete formatting if it is possible! (i read about the fact that i need to format the whole HDD in GPT?)

Edited by fantomas1
Title edited: dual boot OSX ML/Win8 on Asus P8Z77-M PRO

Hi :)

Your topic does not deserve any more attention than others seeking help hence topic titles must reflect their content, and topic titles containing things like: 'please help' 'look here' 'cash reward' 'urgent' or other inaccurate descriptions will be removed. This includes all-caps titles.

Pls read the forum rules and posting guidelines

Good luck

;)

Yes,It is possible.in fact I am doing it right now.Windows 7 and Windows 8 can be installed onto a GPT drive as they support it except for Windows XP.Though they wont create the EFI partition (Sytem Reserved 200 MB partition That you'd see).

Follow these steps:

1.You have to shrink your Mac Partition and make space for Windows if there ain't any,Format it as NTFS or FAT 32 otherwise Windows installation won't recognise it.

2.Then boot your Windows installer by USB or DVD whatever you wish.

3.Then install Windows on that Windows partition that you created.

// Now Windows will take over the boot priority thus you wont be able to boot from the mac bootloader.

4.So stick in your USB Mountain installer and use that bootloader to boot into your mac.

5.Then reinstall your preferred bootloader on your main hackintosh partition(root) and you will be set.

Now if you restart you will see your windows partition in your bootloader( but no system reserved partition).Select whichever OS you''d like to boot into.

Hi :)

Pls read the forum rules and posting guidelines

Good luck

;)

Sorry i didn't know this :) next time i'll be more correct.

Yes,It is possible.in fact I am doing it right now.Windows 7 and Windows 8 can be installed onto a GPT drive as they support it except for Windows XP.Though they wont create the EFI partition (Sytem Reserved 200 MB partition That you'd see).

Follow these steps:

1.You have to shrink your Mac Partition and make space for Windows if there ain't any,Format it as NTFS or FAT 32 otherwise Windows installation won't recognise it.

2.Then boot your Windows installer by USB or DVD whatever you wish.

3.Then install Windows on that Windows partition that you created.

// Now Windows will take over the boot priority thus you wont be able to boot from the mac bootloader.

4.So stick in your USB Mountain installer and use that bootloader to boot into your mac.

5.Then reinstall your preferred bootloader on your main hackintosh partition(root) and you will be set.

Now if you restart you will see your windows partition in your bootloader( but no system reserved partition).Select whichever OS you''d like to boot into.

Hi jabirbin, thanks for the answer.

So I've a 1 tb hard disk where win 8 is installated. have i to do a complete formatting of the hdd (and set it in gpt, i think it's in MBR now) or i can maintain my os and my files and i just have to install mac os x? thanks ;)

P.S. Can i use an SD Card with his card reader? i haven't a pen drive right now so if isn't possible with the SD card i have to buy it.

Sorry i didn't know this :) next time i'll be more correct.

have i to do a complete formatting of the hdd (and set it in gpt, i think it's in MBR now) or i can maintain my os and my files and i just have to install mac os x? thanks ;)

You don't have to format it.It won't matter if you have MBR or GPT.Just make space for Mac and install it.Then install the bootloader.Bootloader will take over then.

Although Its preferred way to have Mac on a GPT drive.

As for SD card, I am not sure cause I don't think you can boot from an SD card.Sorry I couldn't be of much help.Pen Drives are much cheaper now than ever.Get 8GB or more if you're getting one.

Sorry :P

i do these passages:

i open mountain lion 10.8.dmg and i put the mountain lion.app in /application; is it right?

then i start "the program" , i do all the passages, and when it seems that is doing his work, it tells me operation failed.

My error, i think.

tomorrow i'll try again (i read that in my dmg the folder sharedsupport is missing)

thanks a lot jabirbin, tomorrow i'll tell you how is going the installation :)

Update: i can boot the usb pen drive now, and with the flag -v the installation stops at: [iobluetoothhcicontroller][start] completed.

Any solution? :D

I solved this problem by deleting nv*.kext files from the pendrive.

Now during the installation i've this kernel panic:

2hcnnut.jpg

Edited by lukas95np

Your OS X installer disk seems to be causing the problem.What "program" did you use to make the installer?You could use MyHack if you like.

When installing Mac OS X,make sure you choose the right partition to install it on your hard-disk,

Try these bootflags

-v GraphicsEnabler=No

Also look for BIOS setup (for Hackintosh) for your motherboard model precisely.Speaking of which look for people installing on the same motherboard,same processor(or from same generation,as for you 3rd gen Ivy bridge).For Example, Google "i5 3570k P8z77 hackintosh"

Edited by jabirbin
  • Like 1