OSx86 + Internet?

WilBUR

39 posts in this topic

This thread is a bunch of different issues, referring to install of OSx86 on a custom built AMD machine. The guide I am using is below, really works and is really simple. The build I am using is Mac.OS.X.Tiger.10.4.6.X86-HOTiSO.iso. No problems other than after installing mac is causes a surge or something that blanks my ethernet drive on Windows XP.

And just exactly want to know what I need to click for AMD. (AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 939pin)

And how many GB am I able to use with OSx86? I have seen guides saying you are able only to use 6GB? I have a 40GB ATA drive willing to give it 10GB if it will work.

http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/05/...ndows-computer/

Updated 9/29 (6:06pm EST)

9. Insert the OSX install disk and reboot your computer, follow the installation steps on your screen.

Don’t forget to choose ‘customize’ during the install!

You are supposed to boot the OSX install DVD. You may have to do something in your computer's BIOS to ensure it will boot an inserted DVD before it boots the hard drive. The author assumes you are familiar with the operation of your PC.

What the guide should say is:

9. Insert the OSX install disk and reboot your computer, follow the installation steps on your screen.

The first step of the installation is to choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and Format (Erase) your new OSX partition as "MacOSX Extended Journaled"

You burned the contents of the iso to the DVD rather than than a single file called (something like) Mac.OS.X.Tiger.10.4.6.X86-HOTiSO.iso to the DVD?

If you mount the DVD in Windows, you should see a bunch of files with "boot" in the name. If you only see one file named "iso" something, then you need to burn the iso contents to the DVD.

Did what you said and it no longer runs windows but brings up a DOS saying A:/ is missing a file

Odd because there is no A (which would originally be Floopy)

If you mean you tried to mount the DVD in Windows to see what files are on it, you first must boot Windows (doing whatever is necessary in BIOS to do that). After you are fully in Windows, insert the DVD and use Windows Explorer to look at the files on the DVD.

If you see a bunch of files with "boot" in the name, then it should be OK.

If you see a single file with "iso" in the name, then it is not OK.

No, I mean I burned the contents of the ISO to the DVD. (Yes there were quite a bunch of files with Boot (BootX and bootloader stood out the most))

Once I burned the files. I assumed I was all set and I could sit and relax. But upon rebooting and my pc reading the DVD it brought up the following after the BIOS screen.

Starting Caldera DR-DOS...

EMM386: (COPYRIGHT INFO HERE BLAH BLAH BLAH)

EMM386: Warning: Address line A20 already enabled

Frame = D000 KB = 32768

Bad or missing file A:\DRDOS\DPMS.EXE

Press Any Key....

No, I mean I burned the contents of the ISO to the DVD. (Yes there were quite a bunch of files with Boot (BootX and bootloader stood out the most))

Once I burned the files. I assumed I was all set and I could sit and relax.

I hope you didn't just select the files you could see and burned those to DVD. Windows can only see a handful of files on the DVD. The rest are on tracks formatted as MacOS HFS+ format and cannot be seen in Windows. There are nearly 4 GB of files needed on the DVD. You had to select the iso as a disk image (not as data) and burn that image to DVD. That will burn the contents of the image to the DVD.

That would explain why the ISO was 4GB and the contents (visable) were only 3.1GB But I did have MAC Drive 6 installed.

But I do not exactly understand how I would select the iso as a disk image in Nero.

Forget I asked the above question

But I did have MAC Drive 6 installed.

There are still invisible files that would not get selected and burned.

But I do not exactly understand how I would select the iso as a disk image in Nero.

Forget I asked the above question

In my version of Nero Burning ROM, I just go to the "Recorder" menu and select "Burn Image..." and then point it to the iso.

In Nero Express, I just select: "Disk Image" under the category of "What would you like to burn" and then point it to the iso.

Burn at the slowest speed possible. OSX is particularly sensitive to any data corruption and will stop the installation if it senses any problems.

now it says i have no destination to place it?

What I posted earlier as a modification to the installation instructions:

The first step of the installation is to choose Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and Format (Erase) your new OSX partition as "MacOSX Extended Journaled"

just wondering if there are any other programs like Acronis Disk Director Suite? or a better one out there
reason i ask i am lacking internet on my desktop to register the product so i need something similar so i can finish this and not die of anticipation

I thought I understood what you wanted with the first question, but the second question confused me completely.

Acronis does several things. It is a disk/partition utility and it installs a bootloader.

Alternative disk/partition utlities include Partition Magic for Windows and the GParted iso for Linux. Getting the Hiren's boot CD for Windows gives you lots of disk/partition utilities.

Alternative bootloaders include Darwin (part of OSX), Chain0 for Windows, Grub for Linux and WinGrub for Windows.

Darwin is installed when you install OSX. If you make the OSX partition "active" and boot into OSX, you can edit the boot.plist file to reveal the Darwin bootloader ( http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=188186 )

You can make the OSX partition "active" using any of the disk/partition utilities mentioned above or use this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

Chain0 is also included with the OSX install DVD. Set the Windows partition "active" and boot into Windows. Insert the OSX install DVD and examine the files on the iso. Copy the chain0 file to C:\ and modify the Windows boot.ini file to add C:\chain()="OS X to it so that it looks something like this: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=153532

For Grub and WinGrub you will need to Google to find them and their instructions.

Now for your second, confusing, question.

If you are having trouble booting into OSX, the above bootloaders can help. You should also be able to boot into OSX after you set the OSX partition "active". Or you can boot the OSX install DVD and when it asks you to hit F8, do that. And you will see the Darwin bootloader so you can boot into OSX.

During registration of OSX, if you don't have an internet connection, just tell the registration wizard that you don't have internet. It won't ask you to set it up and the registration won't be sent to Apple. It will be saved in a file on your hard drive for sending later. Why would you want to register an OSX on an (illegal) Hackintosh anyway?

Alrighty, my internet has returned on my Desktop (problem was a faulty ethernet wire) and I installed Acronis Disk Director Suite and used the OS Selector upon rebooting, and I attempt to boot into OSx86, upon clicking say something about Darwin and runs or loads a lot of files in something that looks like DOS (almost matrix like) then it just goes to a black screen with a text that goes to the middle of the screen and just sits there. Not even sure if it is an error, gave it more than 3 hours to make sure until i rebooted and tried again with the same results. OSx86 installed fine, just can not seem to boot it up, or if there is an error.