Need Help Enabling Brightness Control

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I have an Acer 5745DG. I managed to get sound, graphics and DSDT all working in my system. The only thing I need to do now is enable brightness control because my battery is running out quickly. I did the PNLF editing to my DSDT but it doesn't work. I got a patched AppleBrightness.kext, now the slider is enabled and I can change the brightness with FN+Left Arrow/Right Arrow. Problem? Brightness won't change. It stays at 100% even when moving the slider in the pref pane. Please help me. Thanks :)

No, this Prefpane app uses DSDT modification on the fly! So this will really reduce battery consumption..

At least do some research before answering... No, it does not use "DSDT modification on the fly". What does that even mean? ACPI tables CANNOT be modified "on the fly." They are loaded at startup and a restart is require for changes to take effect. Shades is also universal binary. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that ACPI is unique to Intel only. IBM used a completely different approach. So yes OP, unfortunately you had it right, it only changes the colour.

My machine has the same problem, only the difference with mine is the brightness stays at max until the slider is fully turned down. Then the backlight switches off. This did give me some hope that the backlight is controlled through the EC. I originally thought that the existence of AMW0 (Windows Management Instrumentation) in my DSDT made an impact, but I have another system with it that only required PNLF to get backlight control going. That was a faulty assumption to begin with since RW-Everything clearly showed the registers changing when I fiddled with the slider under Windows. At the moment, I'm combing through the Q and GPE methods to see if there are differences. I'll post my findings.

• Like 1