Need a sub 100$ card for Giga P55

ne0shell

3 posts in this topic

I bought one of the GeForce 210 cards when they were on special and never could get it working (monitor wouldn't even come on no matter what I tried) so I'm looking for a card that will work out of the box, full accelleration on current Mountain Lion release.

My mobo is a GiGa p55a-UD3 with PCIe slot.

I've run an old Nvidia 8600GT for years with no issues but I'd like to get something with better performance for GPU encoding, games, etc. Unfortunately I can't really afford to spend more than 100 bucks or so on this without getting my wife bent out of shape, otherwise I'd probably build a whole new machine. This one's been stable and performed well but I'm a bit of a performance geek and would love to have the latest / fastest custom Mac I can.

I'd say get a GT640 or GTX650 if you find one in budget like the zotac gtx650 which often goes for under 100€ around here. Both are quite capable of doing acceptable graphics performance on recent games and cuda. I'm thinking about ditching me 9800Gtx for a gtx650 (65W tdp) as the performance is almost the same.