Post install dual boot help needed

moogbaby

15 posts in this topic

Hello

Acer Aspire S3-391 with windows 8 pre-installed, made partition for ML and sucessfully installed it via USB.

When machine is turned on it boots straight to windows. I can boot to OSX only with USB Key and then selecting from the menu,

How can I get it to boot from the HD like that?

Drive is MBR.

Step by step with link top anything needed would be very apreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I did install chameleon using the myhack, it installed, mentioned somethin about not being able to flush the boot but that it shouldnt matter, but on rebooting same thing, windows boots automatically and osx requires usb..Will try your attachment..should I try and delete the previous chameleon, even it doesnt seem to be doing anything lol?

If so, where would it be located for me to delete..Sorry I should have mentioned I already tried with the myhack chameleon..

Edit:

Started with a clean install, booted from USB, ran your link from within OSX with ML drive as target. Nothing at all, still boots straight to windows, can still boot to OSX via USB...

Now what :)

maybe your way is there:

SET THE OS X PARTITION AS ACTIVE:

You now have to set the OSX partition so that your computer boots from it first. Therefore, Chameleon loads and you can select either ML or Windows . You will have to issue a few commands to Terminal in order to accomplish this task.

Boot from usb stik ML

Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

1. Type diskutil list
  2. Write down the IDENTIFIER of your Apple_HFS ML drive. For this example: disk0s2.
  3. Type sudo -s
  4. Enter your password.
  5. Type fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0
  6. Type y
  7. Type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
  8. Type p
  9. Type f 2
  10. Type w
  11. Type y
  12. Close Terminal and reboot.

Unplug all drives except the dual boot drive and restart. You should now be able to boot directly into Chameleon, stop the boot countdown and select either ML or Windows NTFS.

Hey

Thanks for that. Going to try now. But I'm wondering, if windows is booting currently, then obviously its active, if I make ML active then won't there just be two actives how will it know to boot from ML/Chameleon when windows is also active..To confirm these are partions not seperate disks..

ok, giving it a try...!

Booted straight to windows again... :(

Tried again noticed the flow in terminal is a little different from your example there..

When I get to 'fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 ' there is no option for 'p', terminal says 'The signature for this MB is invalid, would you like to initialize the partition table? I said yes, then follwed the rest of the commands in your list...

ok, this is the second option for install it, download binarios chameleon folder i386

1. open the folder i386 and copy boot1h for your USBInstaller.

2. boot from USBinstaller and go for utilities and open app Terminal

3. type diskutil list for identified your disk and partition were you installed of system ML = "(i.e: disk0s2)"

4. type diskutil unmount disk0s2

5. type cd /

6. type dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2 bs=4096

7. reboot

in steep 6 put your disk and partition "(i.e disk0s2 "), see your

• 2 weeks later...

ok, this is the second option for install it, download binarios chameleon folder i386

3. type diskutil list for identified your disk and partition were you installed of system ML = "(i.e: disk0s2)"

5. type cd /

7. reboot

Hi again Ifire.

Not sure If I was supposed to install chameleon prior to your steps, I guessed so, so I installed it.

Followed your steps.

I got to step 4 and it said ' disk0s2 was already unmounted'

on step 5 I type 'cd/' and it says ' -bash: cd/: no such file or directory

I jumped to step 6 and it says 'dd: boot1h No such file or directory'

Please help :)

• 2 weeks later...

5. type cd /

7. reboot

Ok, still at stage 2 it says 'disk already unmounted' guess that doesnt matter..

At stage6 it still says ' dd: boot1h No such file or directory'

Where was I supposed to copy the file 'boot1h' to? I copied it to the USB key..Am I supposed to copy it to somewhere on the Mountain Lion partition?

Please help

UEFI installed Win 8 (on pure GPT disk) or BIOS installed Win 8? Probably UEFI if it is preinstalled.

And then ... some laptops refuses to do BIOS boot from GPT disk if they are in UEFI mode. But BIOS boot is required for Chameleon. Maybe that's the problem. One such case is here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284363-how-to-boot-os-x-mountain-lion-with-uefi-and-gpt-hdd/

Yes, Windows 8 was pre-installed, but Acording to disk management the drive is MBR. Something I have noticed is that if I am in windows, the ML partition shows as a primary partition within disk management but shows as an extended partition in diskpart...and also disk management shows the following : Any idea of how I could try and get this done from within windows perhaps?

io ho fatto così.acer timeline 3810t

creare 2 partizioni con disk utility.1 mac 2 fat32(mbr).

installare (nel mio caso lion)sul 1.avviare e mettere bootloader che parta da disco

con softwere per partizioni disco (ognuno usi il suo, io ADD) da usb,sulla fat 32 formattare in ntfs e creare 2 (o più) partizioni

la 1 da 100mb e la 2 il resto (la 1 primaria,la seconda logica ma quella attiva deve restare quella del mac).formattarle.

io sulla 1 e 2 ho ripristinato l'immagine (creata precedentemente in win con ATI) non sovrascrivendo l'MBR (per non perdere il bootloader x mac).e tutto funziona a meraviglia. 1 ora di lavoro e ti trovi da zero - lion ,w8 in dualboot

p.s. nel caso w8 (sempre da installare dopo lion)lo fate con dvd ,avrete già le 2 partizioni pronte, ma perderete il boot lion

si dovrà arrivarci da dvd e rimetterlo.poi funzionerà tutto .spero vi sia d'aiuto.ciao