Can't purchase ML from store, says computer is incompatible

jbolted

8 posts in this topic

The apple store will not let me purchase mountain Lion it says my computer is incompatible. My specs are in my signature. I originally did a lifehacker install and have not updated any of the extras folder after doing a new install with kakewalk. This has been over a year and a half and no problems at all. I have always been able to run software updates, sleep, graphics worked, sound, everything fine.... Is there a way to update chameleon maybe or the extras folder, that will get the store to recognize my computer? Someone mentioned on another board that because in my system profiler it is not showing a date, it just says Mac Pro 3,1 without a date that this is the problem...

Has anyone else come across such a strange problem?

I tried that and a few others, heres a screen shot of more info from "about this MAc":

screenshot20121208at801.png

I've been at this for two days now, with zero luck. My hardware is in my signature is there anything wrong with it I heard of people running ML on EP35 mobo's.

I tried that and a few others, heres a screen shot of more info from "about this MAc":

screenshot20121208at801.png

I've been at this for two days now, with zero luck. My hardware is in my signature is there anything wrong with it I heard of people running ML on EP35 mobo's.

fantomas1 has offered one solution.

Try changing your smbios to Macpro5,1

p.H, Thank you for your help. I tried that I just changed the one number from 3 to 5 in the smbios.plist and got a KP. I am guessing that it is telling my board to run a differrent CPU or board itself. But luckily I had my SL cloned. So I restarted and hit the arrow key to boot into the cloned drive. Then copied over the old smbios.plist. then was able to restart back into my regular setup.

I'm at a point where I don't know what else to try. I tried rewriting the smbios from other peoples samples, and just replacing my serial number...KP's. Is my hardware really a waste of time to even run ML? I don't get it people are running ML on friggin EP35 boards. All I want to do is pay for the damn OS. I dont want to run an seeded one. I'm guessing if I go to an ***** store, and buy a preconfigured thumb drive, it would probably do the same thing to me...For some reason not many people want to touch this subject with a ten foot pole either, so help is very scarce.

System profiler looks like this for me and everything works fine:

0oDkW.png

As you can see, your first two values looks different, so I think your smbios file is messed up. Check these in your smbios.plist:

• SMfamily should be: MacPro (no spaces)
  • SMproductname should be: MacPro3,1 (no spaces)
  • SMboardproduct should be: Mac-F42C88C8

Note: MacPro3,1 is not early 2010, it's early 2008.

nyolc8, OK Thanks I'll give that a try!

One other question which may sound dumb, but I'm not used to writing code...in the smbios reading from top to bottom which should be written first the <key> , or the ,<string>

I do apologize for my idiocy in writing code but this may be my problem, in my smbios the <key> is first under that the <string>, naturally closed up by /</key>, </string

Update, I tried your suggestion and this is what my about this mac, more info looks like now. And I'm thinking that maybe because it isn't reading 'core 2 Duo' and reading 'intel Xeon' could be the problem..is there a key to replace for naming the CPU?....still can't purchase, after restarts of coarse.

Here is the latest screenshot:

screenshot20121210at748.png

This is my actual smbios.plist:

screenshot20121210at800.png

Your CPU is more authentic for a mac pro than mine, so I'm sure that CPU name isn't the problem. Do you using a valid macpro serial number?

I searched an original macpro serial through google, then modified some characters in it to make it unique (didn't change the first two and last two characters because those specify the model and such, the third and fourth character are the manufacture date, the others are just random characters I think)