Considering a Hackintosh because of new Mac Minis and iMacs

moreorless

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've never used a Hackintosh. But today I feel really disappointed with Apple, because the new Mac Mini lacks a discrete GPU, and the new iMac lacks SSD (except for the top-of-the-line model, with the option of 768 GB).

I'm not into building myself a Hackintosh, I'd prefer to buy a complete finished computer from some brand.

I'd like it to have what I expected to get from the new Apple product line:

- Most important of all: OSX Mountain Lion should run flawlessly, with no issues.

- Silent (very silent... you shouldn't notice it's powered on)

- Quad core i7 (the most powerful, the better)

- 8GB RAM

- 256GB SSD drive

- 1GB NVIDIA GPU

Is there any pre-made branded desktop which would meet this requirements?

Thanks!

Hi, moreorless!

No, you'll have to do it yourself. Though i can recommend what worked flawlessly for me: I5 3570K (since you want i7, use the 3770K), Gigabyte H77 DS3H motherboard (works out of the box, without need of dsdt patches), nVidia GeForce GTX670 (i tested one and it works like a charm, besides being a heck of a card, but it's not with me right now), WiFi PCI-e TPLink WDN 4800, Bluetooth USB adapter Cambridge Silicon Radio Firmware version 3164. I don't use SSD, but i think any brand and size should work flawlessly without any special setup.

To install Mountain Lion, buy the OS and check this topic out: [GUIDE] A fast and easy way to install Mountain Lion

Good luck!

• Like 1

I just wanted to comment and say that I love my case, it's incredibly quiet. It's this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352020&name=Computer-Cases (except it's the older R3 version). It's covered in sound deadening, and it's also the cleanest looking case I could find. The cooling is actually very sufficient. It also has plenty of room for more fans if you so desire. I built my rig for audio/music production, so the volume level is very important to me.

As far as pre-built, the only pre-built computer close to that configuration would most likely be a gamer rig, meaning a noisy case with fancy lights would probably be included. So if you wanted it to be quiet, you would have to get a different case, so you'd be taking the entire thing apart anyway.

Just build it yourself, it's well worth it. I never built a computer before until I built my hack (although I had modified plenty), and it really was not that difficult. The hardest part of a hackintosh is the software part of it, and if you buy a pre-built computer you're going to be making more work for yourself and paying more as well.

Mountain Lion does not run "flawlessly" on my rig, but it runs just as well as my 2011 MacBook Pro: ga-z68zp-ud3 i7-2600k@4.4 ghz, 32gb ram, gigabyte radeon hd 6850

Ok, thanks a lot for your comments. I'd really like to buy yet another genuine Mac, but this time they don't have neither an iMac nor a Mac Mini that meet my needs, so I believe a Hackintosh is my only option in this moment.

Regarding SSDs, is there any caution I should have? I'm looking for 256GB or 512GB (depending on their price) and I want the SSD to be fully supported with TRIM on OSX, and I'm also afraid of getting a low quality product if I choose just by price... Is there any brand I should avoid or some really recommended brand?

Thanks!

The only way you're going to get TRIM support is by using TRIM enabler or a genuine apple SSD. That being said, TRIM enabler works flawlessly on my system. I have crucial m4 64gb SSD for my frequently used apps. I can't really reccommend any particular brand, sorry.