Is there a way to Hide Files?

kramer2k

6 posts in this topic

Ok, so i just recently (30 min ago) transferred my PATA install to SATA, which I'm now on. However, on the new SATA install, under my Boot volume (OSx86), I now have shortcut folders to

1) etc

2) tmp

3) var

These were hidden folders on my PATA install, but now I can't hide them on my SATA drive. I've tried using "Hide Folders 1.4" but it won't let me hide them. The error i get is...

"Sorry, you are not allowed to change the visible status of this item "tmp" because its parent folder has some permission limitiations. Please remove them and try again."

Bueler? Bueler? Bueler?

Thanks

DK

If it's just an alias (not the real folder) you should be able to delete it from within the terminal with something like:

$ sudo rm foldername

'rm' is remove a file

'rmdir' is remove a folder (directory)

'rm -r' is remove a folder containing files

If it's the actual folder, under Mac OS X, any file name starting with a dot (.) is invisible, so you can hide items by doing something like:

$ sudo mv filename .filename

'mv' means move; the first name is the file you want to move, the second name is the destination directory/filename.

DONT DO THIS!

these folders (especially "etc") are critical for osx startup. I tried to delete them and osx won't start. actually these aren't folders, they are just symlinks to folders located in /private folder, but you can't delete or remove them!

(I also have your problem, they visible after transferring from one disk to another and I don't know how to solve this)

DONT DO THIS!

these folders (especially "etc") are critical for osx startup. I tried to delete them and osx won't start. actually these aren't folders, they are just symlinks to folders located in /private folder, but you can't delete or remove them!

(I also have your problem, they visible after transferring from one disk to another and I don't know how to solve this)

yeah, I just realized that after doing that, my admin password wouldn't work and I couldn't open terminal!

But luckily I had my root shared so i could rename the files via Parallels!

So I'm stuck with those stupid shortcut files...grrr

DK

Edit: You can't even rename them! So I have no idea how to get rid of em...