10.6 shutting down when trying to repair permissions or install update?

AndrewRenn

3 posts in this topic

I'm not sure what's going on here, but everytime I try to repair permissions via ###### or Disk Utility, it crashes half way through.

Also, I downloaded the combo update to 10.6.8 on my desktop to try and install on my laptop, but it got about half way through and just turned off my laptop.

My laptop doesn't usually crash, with Windows it never randomly turned off, so I don't think it's getting too hot or anything of that matter. I've tried two different hard drives (first one it wouldn't even install Snow Leo, it just turned off half way through, and second one already had Snow on it (weird lol))

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated, I've searched around not finding anything on it that could help me.

Specs:

Acer Aspire 5315

Intel Celeron M 550 (2.0 GHz)

Intel 965 Express Chipset

I figure that's all that's needed for this problem (audio works, graphics works, wifi doesn't (but fixing that after this))

Thanks for your help,

AndrewRenn

Hi Andrew

Troy here. Don't know whether I can help or not - I have two hackintosh notebooks - both Acer's (3680 and 5683 both running snow leopard 10.6.8) - Can I ask what version of Snow Leopard did you have installed before trying the 10.6.8 combo update and also have you tried booting up in safe mode - either by holding down the left hand shift key during boot or booting with /mach_kernel -x and then trying a permissions repair (or even for that matter a disk repair) using disk utility ?

Hi Andrew

Troy here. Don't know whether I can help or not - I have two hackintosh notebooks - both Acer's (3680 and 5683 both running snow leopard 10.6.8) - Can I ask what version of Snow Leopard did you have installed before trying the 10.6.8 combo update and also have you tried booting up in safe mode - either by holding down the left hand shift key during boot or booting with /mach_kernel -x and then trying a permissions repair (or even for that matter a disk repair) using disk utility ?

Hello Troy,

I started with the retail 10.6.0, and yes I did try booting in safe mode with success repairing permissions, but still no luck with installing the combo update. I'm not sure what's causing this; I'm trying to get my hands on a different laptop right now, but I'm going to keep trying with this one, maybe I'll find something.

Thanks for your ideas!

Edit:

I'm also going to re-install Snow Leo on my computer in my description, I'd like to have it on a laptop, but if anything at least I'll have it on this computer (dual booting w/ Win7 ofc)