Chameleon issues

b0dyr0ck2008

32 posts in this topic

Thank you so much for your reply. Finally a reply that makes sense. Now a little explanation for my partitioning.

I have two drives (obviously), both normally with three partitions each.

Disk A

Windows 7, I have learnt, always has its own partition for if and when things go wrong and it needs reinstalling. I save nothing to that drive except windows and any programs I install. Everything goes elsewhere.

Films has its own partition for the constant adding and deleting of films and footage which I find easier to defrag as a smaller partition.

Music is self explanatory.

OSX is where I had originally installed Mountain lion but I was getting a real headache making it boot at all, so that 100GB was from the films partition.

Disk B

Games and Photos is self explanatory again.

Downloads is a partition kept away from my auto virus scan.....

Mac used to be Downloads too.

In an ideal world I would buy another SATA disk and add that to use as my Mac drive but funds don't allow that. I could move 'Downloads' to Disk A, add that to 'MAC' and then have two NTFS partitions and one HFS+ partition. Would that help or not really?

I can't move anything else as that is all the space I have and is currently all pretty much full, I need a couple of bigger drives I know.

Also why have the two HFS+ partitions been marked as 'diskXs5' when there is only four partitions on each drive? So even with that identifier I would still use 'dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s4'?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out here.

The one benefit to repartitioning the 2nd drive as you described, would be using GUID, have OSX in first partition and the rest can be windows data and no limit to how many partitions you can have with GUID.

Nothing has been marked as diskxs5. You only have partitions 0-4, and 0 is the partition table only. So the last partition you have, which is your OSX one, is s4. So the way I wrote it is correct, except you'll want to use boot0hfs in the first command instead of boot0 if there is a Windows bootloader present anywhere on that same disk

• Like 1

wait, your right, my bad...not sure why they skip a partition like that. It would be rdisk1s5

If you want to be sure first, just do:

diskutil unmount /dev/rdisk1s5

or since that will probably be the drive your booted from, do rdisk0s5 and verify your other OSX partition dissappears from the desktop. then type same command but use mount instead of unmount

diskutil mount /dev/rdisk0s5

sorry about the confusion

Personally, I'd redo the second disk, because the longer you wait, the more stuff is there, and the harder it will be. Not sure how full your other drive is, if you have room to move your windows stuff over there temporarily, maybe if you remove the OSX partition to make some extra room. Unfortuantely, on mixed HFS/NTFS drives, you can't resize existing partitions in OSX or Win, but I think you can in Gparted, just be mindful, there's always a risk of data loss when doing such things. Also if HFS partiton is deleted leaving only NTFS partitions on drive, you should have no problem resizing in Win

colins-imac:desktop Colin$ sudo -s
bash-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
bash-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s5
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.001360 secs (752975 bytes/sec)
bash-3.2# cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/
cp: directory /Volumes/Boot OS X does not exist
bash-3.2# cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/
cp: directory /Volumes/Boot OSX does not exist
bash-3.2#

The final part of the code doesn't work, no /boot OS X. I guess that is due to both drives being MBR?

I'm currently looking at solutions to moving or deleting stuff or even scratching some cash together to buy another drive. Spent all this on major upgrades and now need to spend more. lol.

I really appreciate the help.