GA-Z77-D3SH won't boot any USB stick (ML or L)

astrok

9 posts in this topic

Help!

After having success with iatkos S3 on a G31 motherboard a few years ago I took the plunge and bought a GA-Z77-D3SH + i7 3770k and have been trying to get Mountain Lion on it. Created the boot usb on my old G31 (10.6.3) and a new Mac that is running 10.7. I've using Disk Utility (partitioned, erased, restored, both GUID and MBR), Lion Diskmaker 2 and also created a Lion recovery stick. All boot fine on the work Mac but I cannot get anything to boot on the GA-Z77- D3SH. I'm I missing something simple here?

TIA

Yeah, the hackintosh part. Forget about recovery stick and Lion Disk Maker. Do the restore in Disk Utility, then add the packages and mach_kernel, and then add hackintosh kexts like fakesmc, nullcpupowermanagement, install chameleon to it, make extra folder with valid smbios and configured org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and depending on GPU, may need to remove a few things too. It shouldn't work on a real mac, nor would you want it to.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look most of that up to understand it. I've used Disk Utility, restored the image to the 8GB usb stick using both MBR and GUID, no boot. Installed Chameleon and get the screen to boot from the stick or hard drive, then after selecting the stick it reboots.

Thank you. Tried that and flashed black then white then rebooted. I used an older Chameleon (2) as I'm at home on my 10.6.3 iatkos build today, no access to the 'grown up' mac 10.7 at work. Is there a best version of Chameleon to try?

Still the same. I'm having to use Chameleon RC5 as the latest does not work in my hackintosh. I'll try this on the 10.7 work machine later this week. I've read quite a few posts/guides about this motherboard but the steps used never outline any of the above (just restore with Disk Utility, reboot and install) so I'm guessing this mb isn't as good as the posts say :(