Hello all, newb with a few questions...

MacPhreek

24 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

First of all, what you're doing here rocks! Now that that is out of the way, I have a couple questions. I'll proceed below.

First, I used a tool called CPU-Z to check and see "which version of OSX my PC would be compatible with."

Before you read any further check Wiki/forum to make sure that your hardware is compatible with the version of OSX x86 you have. To see if your processor supports PAE, SSE2, SSE3, or not, use the free tool, CPU-Z, Here. If your hardware is not compatible with the OSX version you have, it's possible that you screw up both your OSX and Windows! So, to save yourself a gigantic headache later, check your hardware carefully now!

So, I found out that my CPU supports SSE and SSE2, which version of Mac OS X coincides with those capabilities? I certainly don't want any headaches now or in the future. I just finished a fresh install of XP, and I don't particularly want to do all that again.

Second question, when I use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 to format a disk as an Apple partition, can it be a partition of my C:\ drive? Or would it be better for me to get OSx86 it's own HDD?

So far, those are ny only two questions. I hope someone will answer these for me. Thanks for all the valuable information on this install!

-Chris

Hi there!

I will help you as best as I can! To answer your first question, OSx86 will support at least an SSE2 architecture... preferibly on an Intel processor. SSE original is no good. The answer to your second question is this... I would say it's fine if you want to partition your disk. However, if you feel a little edgy at all about the way the OSx86 installation handles your hard disk (I normally do), then by all means I would reccomend that you get a seperate HD of no less than 20 GB. I hope that helps answer your question.

;)

Guru

Hi there!

I will help you as best as I can! To answer your first question, OSx86 will support at least an SSE2 architecture... preferibly on an Intel processor. SSE original is no good. The answer to your second question is this... I would say it's fine if you want to partition your disk. However, if you feel a little edgy at all about the way the OSx86 installation handles your hard disk (I normally do), then by all means I would reccomend that you get a seperate HD of no less than 20 GB. I hope that helps answer your question.

;)

Guru

When I use CPU-Z, it says under "Instructions" SSE, SSE2, MMX

Which version of OSx86 should I get? There's several out there, including:

- MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz.iso

- Mac.OS.X.Tiger.10.4.6.X86-HOTiSO

- MacOSX_10.4.6_GoatsecxDVD.iso

- osx86_10.4.5_amd-intel_sse2-3.iso

- Jas ISOs

- Apple.10.4.4.generic.install.dvd.iso

- MacOSX_10.4.6DVDPATCHED_Myz

- Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack

So which one do I get? I have successfully located a .torrent of the first one on that list, will it work with my CPU? By the way, I have the following:

P4 2.66 GhZ (socket 478)

512KB L2 Cache

800 FSB MoBo (Asus P4R800-VM)

512 KB RAM

AGP 8x w/Radeon 9200

I know, my system is severely outdated, but it works. So which version?

id say the - Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack. That's the latest and gratest for intel processors and it includes the latest version of osx86. you can find it at demonoid(pm me if you need an account at demonoid)

id say the - Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack. That's the latest and gratest for intel processors and it includes the latest version of osx86. you can find it at demonoid(pm me if you need an account at demonoid)

I've got 10.4.4 downloaded already. Will this work with my aforementioned hardware or should I get the 10.4.7? I just want to make sure, I am ready to try this when I get home. Got Acronis Disk Suite 10.0.2117 installed already and the Fat 32 partition made (primary). This is the last thing holding me up, anyone??

-Chris

I've got 10.4.4 downloaded already. Will this work with my aforementioned hardware or should I get the 10.4.7? I just want to make sure, I am ready to try this when I get home. Got Acronis Disk Suite 10.0.2117 installed already and the Fat 32 partition made (primary). This is the last thing holding me up, anyone??

-Chris

Check it out, I quoted myself. Will this OS that I have downloaded work with my hardware or not? Anyone? Bueller?

Well, I tried to install. Have you guys ever seen a no smoking sign? I got one of those to come up on the screen, minus the cig. It was a circle with a slah through it right near the top of the Apple logo. And then it had the little processing thing down below. Anyone know why this is? Help me out here people....

OK, so I did the -v command after pressing F8 to load Darwin with diagnostic messages or whatever. Everything looks good until I get to the line that reads:

mac 7.8 phy 4.5 radio 5.6

Then, it says... waiting for root device, waiting for root device, waiting for root device. Could this be because I have my drives like this:

C: (main XP drive), G: (partition of C:), D: (backup and MP3/vidz), F: (Fat 32 primary partition for Mac. Someone said I should put the partition to be used with Mac before the backup. Correct? Anyone?

Since no one is available to answer my questions, I am going to download the 10.4.7 that was suggested to me in the beginning of this post and try again. I had been hoping to get this up and running tonight tho. Oh well, just won't happen I guess. Thanks guys..

-Chris

Try burning the ISO on another DVD. From experience (what little I have) it's either a faulty DVD burn or the hardware just isn't supported.

I tried booting a 10.4.1 ISO on my wife's HP desktop, I get the root device error.

Booted the same DVD on my pc, voila! It works.

So, I did -x -s and it boots.

But I'm stuck at stage 3 of installation because the installer couldn't find a mounted partition.

CPU-z reports that my proc is MMX, SSE and SSE2. And I've checked the forum for a guide but couldn't find one that I need.

I'm installing on a:

40GB IDE set as slave

DVD drive as master

160GB SATAII housing XP.

How do I mount a partition during installation? Should I need to erase a partition and format it to mac journalled? I've tried formatting a FAT32 logical partition but it didn't mount.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Greetings from Malaysia-

OK, so I am trying to burn the ISO on a different DVD now. Maybe that will work, maybe it wont. I dont know. My IDE is set up as follows:

Primary IDE Master - XP (C:\)

Primary IDE Slave - Backup and Mac OS Partition (FAT32)

Secondary IDE Master - DVD-RW drive

Secondary IDE Slave - None

I know its not an issue with the DVD and the HDD being on the same IDE channel, as they are NOT. Something interesting does happen however, when I remove the jumper on my Primary IDE slave drive. It fails to even auto-detect either of my IDE drives. Weird...

Burning a new DVD, and will check back in a few...

OK guys, posting this from a native install on my PC. The problem with the "waiting for root device" was that I had to connect the HD that I was installing MacOS on and the DVD-ROM drive to the primary IDE channel with the DVD as Master and the HDD as slave, due to the fact that I have an ATI Express200 chipset on my MoBo. Anyway, once I did that, and booted from the install DVD, it worked perfectly. I am running OSX 10.4.5, which is good enough for me. Also, happy to report that all the devices work great, including my Belkin wireless card, which the Mac sees as an AirPort card. Whatever, it works. Also, my FireWire/USB work too. I am so jazzed. Thanks for all the help, and you can add me to the satisfied users list. Thanks again!

-Chris

One more thing. I found something that DOES NOT work. My sound!

I need a Mac compatible driver for a SoundMax Integrated Audio card. It's built into the MoBo. Anyone who can point me in the right direction (in the morning) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

-Chris

EDIT: Gonna try the Linux driver. I know it's a longshot but what the hey?! :2cents:

Done diskpart, made the partition as active "/".

Got into the installation sequence. Erased partition and formatted as Mac OS journalled. Selected installation (customize) and off it went.

The problem now, there's an error during the base install. Rebooted and Darwin reports a 'block error' or somekind. And on second reboot, I get a HFS+ error on partition.

Any ideas on what went wrong? Is it due to bad a DVD or the partition

itself?

I'm clueless because the installer checked the source (on DVD) prior to running it and reported zero issues.

Well I'm done burning. Three DVDs just in case one fails, I've two more to run through..

Done installing..it was not so smooth because in Customize, I didn't uncheck iPhoto.

Unchecked everything except for the necessary patches.

After installing, it asked for a reboot. Here's where things got weird.

First I got a SAM multimedia error message because I'm booting with the DVD inside the DVDROM. Removed DVD and prayed hard.

Upon second reboot, I got an HFS+ error, Went through the forum, learned that I should've made the partition as Primary or Active. I did both to the partition using Acronis disk director. Upon reboot, it could find the booter error.

I think I'm dying.LOL.

Now I'm waiting for a friend to burn a JAS DVD instead. Hoping that it could help me get through this.

Late last night, I finally did the installation via DVD @ 10.4.1 (is this what they refer to as the Deadmoo version?, I'll double check the version number); bought the DVD locally after being curious about these local pirates are capable of doing. Turns out, they were reading up forums everywhere and burned an ISO or two. Even Xplodenet's guide is on DVD along with the ISO. I'm doing this install just to find out if I like OSX enough and buy the real thing later when I've some cash. And after a gigantic headache and delay...

I booted into OSX. Here's the rundown of what's working and what's not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) The problems are the usual limited screen res (1024x768), no sound.

2) Quicktime only works in preview mode.

3) Network cable is reported to be unattached, reattach it and nothing happens. Therefore, no networking & internet. ADSL modem is also unrecognized.

4) Iffy Sony DVDROM, must buy a DVDRW (any suggestion of compatible brand?)

What's working (partially or fully):

5) SATAII drive recognized as SATA and mounted by OSX out of the box

6) Ipod (for Windows) works out of the box (tested).

7) Sony CDRW (tested).

8) Mouse & keyboard (no mouse tearing!)

Not related to OSX (sort of).

Acronis lost its boot config because I had to wipe the IDE that houses OSX prior to installation because the DVD installer wont mount any partition. So tonight, it's XP & Ubuntu reinstallation time.

My DIY desktop has a combination of problems: SATAII unrecognized by the mobo & XP natively; had to find a driver for it and now it's recognized as SCSI Raid instead of SATA in XP.

Thanks for helping guys. Once I get my hands on a JAS DVD, I'll do another installation.

I'll post my hardware specs here and on the other thread if anyone's interested.

-Greetings from Shah Alam, West Malaysia--