Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Grub2 xnu_kernel

5 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have change my old macbook 3,1 for a Sony vaio SVS13

I want to have a triple boot on this computer.

So i have fully format my hdd then put it in external usb slot and connect to a Macbook air to set up Mountain Lion.

Then i have put back the hdd to my Sony Laptop to set up Windows 7 pro X64.

Then after all i have set up Ubuntu 12.04 X64.

Ubuntu has detected Windows and Mac Os X so Grub 2 (in UEFI mode) has all the OS at the starting.

So my hard drive is like that

EFI | Macintosh HD | Microsoft Reserved | Windows 7 | Ubuntu.

The problem is that i can't boot Mac Os...

I have created a /Extra/Extensions with fakeSMC.kext inside

i have also a DSDT file in /Extra

I have try to edit the boot script in grub with xnu_kernel64 /mach_kernel boot-uuid=${uuid} rd=*uuid -x -v

but nothing...

Here is where i have found the info

The fact is I want to boot with Grub and not chainload with an other bootloader.

You have to chainload (or to keep things simple you should), use chameleon as your bootloader, set ubuntu timeout to 0.

Edit: Extensions go in /System/Library/Extensions - /Extra/Extensions is depreciated after SL

:thumbsup_anim: Grub is hard..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By monsieurgateau
      I've successfully installed Yosemite on a Toshiba Laptop (R30-A), as the laptop is my working machine and was already running GNU/Linux, I installed OS/X on a logical partition, here's the setup:
         Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System /dev/sda1          0+    607-    608-   4881408   83  Linux <-- /boot /dev/sda2        607+  28813-  28206- 226561025    5  Extended /dev/sda3   *  28813+  60801-  31988- 256942080   af  HFS / HFS+ <-- OS/X /dev/sda4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty /dev/sda5        607+  28570-  27963- 224608256   83  Linux /dev/sda6      28570+  28813-    243-   1951744   83  Linux To achieve this setup, I kept grub as the main bootloader, and added the following entry:
      $ cat /etc/grub.d/40_custom #!/bin/sh exec tail -n +3 $0 # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change # the 'exec tail' line above. menuentry 'Mac OS X (Clover)' {     insmod hfsplus     set root='(hd0,3)'     chainloader /EFI/BOOT/boot1h2 } The issue is that this setup mostly works. In fact, most of the time, when I choose to boot OS/X, boot1h2 will load, but just before changing the resolution to get into Clover, the screen remains black, instantly after seeing a "5" on the top left corner of the screen.
      There's one method to make this method work every time: when getting to the Grub menu, type 'e' to edit the OS/X section, wait about 5 seconds, and boot using Ctrl-X.
      This makes me think of a filesystem reading delay problem but I'm not 100% sure. To get certain this was not a graphical setup issue I added
      <key>TextOnly</key> to Clover's config.plist. Didn't change anything.
      Any ideas on how to fix this?
    • By bOLEMO
      It has been weeks that I am trying to have Chameleon to see Lubuntu. No success… Tried the grub-install /dev/sdd3, used boot-repair, created a separate partition for /boot, no success… Played with gparted flags, no success.
      I am on a Asus X99 Deluxe, with this setup:
      SSD formatted MBR with Windows and Yosemite FAT - "System Reserved" used to boot Windows 10 (upgraded from Win7) FAT - "Windows" where Windows 10 is FAT - untitled partition - used for Windows 10 Recovery HFS+ - "Yosemite" where Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite is installed <- CHAMELEON IS INSTALLED HERE HD formatted GPT with Lubuntu FAT - "EFI" GPT EFI partition EXT3 - /boot used by Lubuntu EXT4 - / used by Lubuntu, main partition used as root / LINUX SWAP HD formatted GPT with a spare Yosemite 10.10.0 install FAT - GPT EFI partition HFS+ - "Test" where a previous Yosemite is installed HD formatted GPT with a clone of my main Yosemite install FAT - GPT EFI partition HFS+ - "Maclone", my Yosemite 10.10.5 clone HFS+ - "Recovery HD" Chameleon sees "System Reserved", "Windows", "Yosemite" from SDD, "Test" from 2nd HD, "Maclone" and "Recovery HD" from 3rd HD (all in green in the list), but no Lubuntu ever…
      I don't know what to do. I don't understand how Chameleon decides if a partition is bootable (and should be shown) or not. There is no setup to force a partition to show (when there is one to hide a partition that I am using to hide "Windows" since "System Reserved" is the one to boot for Windows).
      I can boot Lubuntu from bios, choosing the disk, but it would be nice to choose my os from Chameleon. Any idea?
    • By Manticore
      Hello there! I've installed Yosemite successfully, then Windows 7 and finally Mint (with GRUB in the / partition).

Which flags should I mark in order to Chimera manage the boot options?

I've been trying for a while but I can't find the correct combination.

Thanks in advanced!

NOTE: Right now I'm not able to boot into any OS.

• By Dragostini
      Hi all. So first time Hackintosh user here. Just finished setting up my rig in a triple boot system across two drives.

Windows 7 on a 120GB SSD

OS X Mavericks on a 1tb HDD Partition of about 200GBS.

Arch Linux Partitions:

- 200 GB /
      - 5GB Swap (not really needed with 8GB ram...but meh)
      - 120 MB /boot (Just used some free space I had laying around, I know thats insanely huge for /boot)
      - Rest of free space will later be used for some extra storage space for Win7 to use since 120 GB is tiny.

Now, to the issue.

Chameleon not recognizing Arch. I've been google-fu'ing for hours. I've RTFM, and I've browsed the forums. I'm obviously missing something

During my Arch install when it comes time to install grub, I've installed it to the / partition of Arch. For example if my partition layout goes:

/sdb1 = Mac
      /sdb2 = /boot
      /sdb3 = /
      /sdb4 = swap
      /sdb5 = Future storage space...

I installed grub to /sdb3 (using --force, wouldn't let it happen without it.)

finish arch install (install is fine, I can chroot into the install no problem from within the arch live USB) and reboot....No Arch. Windows and mac boot up fine, but no Arch.

1TB drive that Mac/Arch are on is GPT not MBR.

any tips? I'm pulling my hair out here.
    • By brobostigon
      Hey everyone,
      I've been having some strange issues trying to triple boot on separate discs with Clover. I installed Clover to my main SSD drive and I've got a Mavericks install on there working flawlessly. I also have a Windows 8.1 install on a separate GPT disk in UEFI-mode. Booting is not a problem after setting the appropriate path in the Clover config. However, I have been ripping my hair out trying to get a properly working Linux install. I have tried:
      Install to a separate MBR disk and installing grub directly to the MBR (/dev/sda for example), Clover shows the entry but loading the entry just seems to refresh the screen and doesn't do anything, there is also no info displayed when hitting the spacebar Install to a separate MBR disk and installing grub to the ext4 partition (e.g. /dev/sda1), Clover also shows the entry and when I select it, I get the grub bootloader screen with an unresponsive keyboard. Then it seems to try and boot the selected entry but simply restarts the computer. Booting through the BIOS without clover works though. Install to a separate GPT disk, letting the installer (fedora) set everything up the way it wants (in UEFI mode), it creates an EFI partition in FAT32 and puts grub there. Clover can see the partition and booting seems to work very briefly, but the system complains it can't mount the root partition and falls back to initramfs. Booting without clover works fine in this case as well. I have also tried installing grub manually to the EFI partition, but it wouldn't create a grubx64.efi file and the appropriate commands did not seem to work. I would be really grateful if you could give me some advice here!
      Bootlog: http://pastebin.com/AFtuF1gN
      config.plist: http://pastebin.com/gf1C0Bp5