GTS 250 HDMI - any updated info for newer OS'es?

PookyMacMan

18 posts in this topic

Hey all. :)

I just got a DVI to HDMI adapter for my GTS 250, using S/PDIF passthrough and everything works great...in Windows.

In Mac OS I boot to a black screen. But I also notice this message coming from Chameleon just before the splash screen:

"Unable to locate the mode table, please run the program 'dump_bios' as root and email the file 'vbios.dmp' to [someemailaddress]"

I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but upon looking up this issue online, I saw that most everyone didn't get it working, while some individuals did. Both failures and successes I've seen have been with methods applied to 10.6.x, so my question is: does the info being stated about Snow Leo still apply to 10.8 ML? Or are there new updates, or newer methods?

Thanks,

Pooky

Hey pooks.

I take it that DVI works 100% without the adapter?

Experiment with display-cfg and/or NVCAP overrides for HDMI via org.chameleon.Boot.plist? I believe the idea is that you set the correct values that makes HDMI the primary output...at least. I'm sure there's more to it!

Boothelp.txt shows how to set these when using GraphicsEnabler.

Read the NVEnabler release thread over on ProjectOSX for more information, proper syntax for display-cfg values etc.

Maybe try using NVEnabler.kext instead of GraphicsEnabler, sometimes it can do a better job.

Dump your video card's BIOS using GPU-z (click the little chip icon) on Windows and attach it over there, if you're lucky Krazubu is kind enough to look at it and, if you're very lucky, provide you with a working combination of NVCAP and display-cfg like he's done for others in the past.

Yup, DVI works 100%. Using a 23" ASUS LED display at 1920x1080, everything looks awesome. B)

Thanks for that, the display-cfg and NVCAP is what I've been reading about myself. I'll look into it, both for GraphicsEnabler and NVEnabler. I'll post over on ProjectOSX with my VBIOS. :)

(BTW, where did that new title of yours come from this time? :D)

Any info on making your gpu to work? Have asus gts 250 512mb, and have same issue with black screen before login screen. However system totally works, i hear sounds from key clicks, etc

Just wondering .. a question for both of you:

How do you inject your card info ? _DSM in DSDT ? EFI-strings aka device-properties or just plane old Graphics Enabler?

G92 based cards such as GTS250 are required to have device_type property changed from NVDA,GeForce to NVDA,Parent as of 10.7.2, otherwise you get black screen on boot, no matter whats your NVACP or display-cfg.

This is device-properties for my GTS250 card. http://puu.sh/105RP

Selected property translates to NVDA,Parent http://puu.sh/105To

Have no issues with this card since 10.6.8.. the only issue is that mine requires audio-loop cable to pass the sound through a HDMI port which is essentially a crippled thing done by engineers .. they just rerouted on of the DVI ports as HDMI and attached a audio-loop header to pass audio. So I cant have triple monitor setup, because the secondary channel of one of the DVIs is used as HDMI .. thanks Palit.

I'm not familiar with all this stuff, i used old nv8800gts g80, and now switched to gts250. My system is totally clear, not a single nv*\geforce* kext in s\l\e, so could you post your dsdt section and or kexts that you are using. Thanks

Any info on making your gpu to work? Have asus gts 250 512mb, and have same issue with black screen before login screen. However system totally works, i hear sounds from key clicks, etc

HDMI too? This appears to be very common. I haven't been able to research anything yet (school...)

Just wondering .. a question for both of you:

How do you inject your card info ? _DSM in DSDT ? EFI-strings aka device-properties or just plane old Graphics Enabler?

I use GraphicsEnabler, but I had to change the _UID of PCI0 to Zero in order for it to work; otherwise I had to use an EFI string (although I haven't used an EFI string since my Quadro FX 1700...)

G92 based cards such as GTS250 are required to have device_type property changed from NVDA,GeForce to NVDA,Parent as of 10.7.2, otherwise you get black screen on boot, no matter whats your NVACP or display-cfg.

Are you speaking only of HDMI having the black screen? I do not have any problems with DVI only 10.6-10.8; only HDMI. But that's good to know...

Now, another thing: the device properties you set (in the links you gave) are in a custom EFI string, correct? Not DSDT?

This is device-properties for my GTS250 card. http://puu.sh/105RP

Selected property translates to NVDA,Parent http://puu.sh/105To

Have no issues with this card since 10.6.8.. the only issue is that mine requires audio-loop cable to pass the sound through a HDMI port which is essentially a crippled thing done by engineers .. they just rerouted on of the DVI ports as HDMI and attached a audio-loop header to pass audio. So I cant have triple monitor setup, because the secondary channel of one of the DVIs is used as HDMI .. thanks Palit.

Now, do you have HDMI built-in? Because on my card (eVGA, 1024MB VRAM), I have to use a DVI to HDMI adapter. Would that make any sort of difference, or is the principle always the same? For audio I use an internal S/PDIF cable (that I created from a couple case headers :rolleyes:) to route audio from internal S/PDIF, which I believe you also have on your card, correct?

I'm not familiar with all this stuff, i used old nv8800gts g80, and now switched to gts250. My system is totally clear, not a single nv*\geforce* kext in s\l\e, so could you post your dsdt section and or kexts that you are using. Thanks

If you have zero NV*/GeForce* kexts in /S/L/E and /E/E, you will never be able to have QE/CI. I would put those back in and that should help. :)

I just did .. a picture for reference purpose only. Im not willing to give an entire device-property string because our cards do differ and as such I dont want you to screw your card/system by blindly taking my values. So you will have to do some reading :) Sorry.

Are you speaking only of HDMI having the black screen? I do not have any problems with DVI only 10.6-10.8; only HDMI. But that's good to know...

Now, another thing: the device properties you set (in the links you gave) are in a custom EFI string, correct? Not DSDT?

Now, do you have HDMI built-in? Because on my card (eVGA, 1024MB VRAM), I have to use a DVI to HDMI adapter. Would that make any sort of difference, or is the principle always the same? For audio I use an internal S/PDIF cable (that I created from a couple case headers :rolleyes:) to route audio from internal S/PDIF, which I believe you also have on your card, correct?

It applies for all the ports, not just HDMI.

Yes, the picture shows the custom device-property hex string (transcoded to human-readable with gfxutil) I use with the card.. has my EDID/NVMT and NVCAP/display-cfg.

My card has indeed a buil-in HDMI port along with 2 DVI-s, but its crippled from engineering standpoint... and yes, my card has a header to attach a loop cable, but I'm as a Masters Degree student i'm kind of cheap, so I only use regular 2.1 analogue speaker setup and those cant route audio to and from the HDMI port to anywhere.. (since the card has no onboard audio codec being a G92)

So I cant have triple monitor setup, because the secondary channel of one of the DVIs is used as HDMI .. thanks Palit.

That's okay, Nvidia cards can only drive two displays at the same time on OS X anyway.

(looks like this is going to change, at least with the new Kepler based Quadro)

About building an EFI string:

With EDID, that is monitor specific, correct? So if I connect a totally different monitor, will it no longer work; will I have to generate a new EFI string? Will it screw with a dual-monitor setup?

(I'll be using HDMI only for the occasional times when I connect my box to our 50" Plasma TV, and I've been testing HDMI functionality on my 23" ASUS LED monitor)

Yeah, it will go blank if you connect a display that has other EDID data. So you would have to either generate a new string from, say SwitchResX or just remove this property temporarily. You specify EDID for each of the displays that you plan to be using in dual setup (@0 and @1).

I just did .. a picture for reference purpose only. Im not willing to give an entire device-property string because our cards do differ and as such I dont want you to screw your card/system by blindly taking my values. So you will have to do some reading :) Sorry.

It applies for all the ports, not just HDMI.

Yes, the picture shows the custom device-property hex string (transcoded to human-readable with gfxutil) I use with the card.. has my EDID/NVMT and NVCAP/display-cfg.

My card has indeed a buil-in HDMI port along with 2 DVI-s, but its crippled from engineering standpoint... and yes, my card has a header to attach a loop cable, but I'm as a Masters Degree student i'm kind of cheap, so I only use regular 2.1 analogue speaker setup and those cant route audio to and from the HDMI port to anywhere.. (since the card has no onboard audio codec being a G92)

So could you at least give some info on where to go to get gpu works? Or maybe some steps that i have to do.

UPD: wierd but after removing com.chameleon.boot.plist i can log into system without black screen before login, but system recognizes my gpu as nvidia 8800gts 320\320, which i had before, and even more wierd, i have qe\ci work(opacity on top bar), but everything looks very laggy. I tried efi string method, to add device this into chameleon plist, gpu started to show what i used, but still same laggy, and looks like only cosmetical changes to gpu info, even if it shows correct device\vendor ids. Can system reinstall help me with it?

• 2 weeks later...

Swamped with school work, you bet! :P It is really hard to find time to be on here anymore!

I got the patched ROM from Krazubu, but I haven't tested it yet (haven't had time). Hopefully I can test it soon...I'll definitely report back. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally tested it (a little before you posted lol), and it didn't work...Krazubu said himself that a G92 card + HDMI adapter is the worst combo imaginable, and as I just bought a GTX 460 (Fermi FTW! :D) I probably won't do more testing unless my bro who inherited my GTS 250 wants to try to connect to our TV.