First Hack Pro Build, opinions appreciated!

dub

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys dub here, I'll make this short this is my first hack pro/hackintosh build in general so I am new to this. I basically need a beast machine that I can run OSX + multiple windows XP virtual machines as well as IM clients/photoshop/web browsing etc. Was hoping some of you with way more experience then me could give me an honest opinion on my build and ways I could improve it. Even the smallest bit of insight is greatly appreciated!

Here's the build:

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition (VN10006W2N) White and Black SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with 4 Fans-1x ...

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support FPB Video ...

High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular ...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible

OCZ Agility 4 AGT4-25SAT3-256G 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) x2

Please let me know what you think, I plan on hooking this up to a 27" Apple Display!

-dub

Im thinking a Gigabyte motherboard would be more hackintosh friendly for your first build

Thanks for the quick response, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Aside from that you think my build including your gigabyte board would be a pretty worthwhile hackpro?

-dub

Could anyone else chime in with any more opinions? I'm really trying to expedite my building of the machine so I can have it up and running soon. Hate to keep bumping my own thread but I'm just looking for a few more opinions/or suggestions.

-dub

Im thinking a Gigabyte motherboard would be more hackintosh friendly for your first build

Not true see sig. I have the Asus Rampage IV Extreme and it works perfectly.

I develop DSDT for x79 motherboards on my blog. This is the link the the Asus X79 DSDT page:

http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/2012/06/30/all-asus-mainstream-x79-motherboards-dsdt-beta-for-nvidia-and-amdati-gpus/

I agree. Anyone doing a fresh build that doesn't explore the current Gigabyte UEFI boards is selling themselves short.

Check this out.

That has nothing to do with x79 and if you think that everyone should use Gigabyte Motherboards then you are willing to put more then 20 minutes into your build. Asus , Asrock, EVGA, MSI all work fine. Also native sleep with Gigabyte motherboards breaks when you apply the SBUS and LPCB patches so the native sleep is useless.