InsanelyMac Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DJenkins

Areca 1213-4i read issues

Hey guys, I have an Areca 1213-4i going in my SR-2 build. Running ML 10.8

Disks are 4 x 2TB WD black in RAID 5.

Noticing a lack of read perofrmance in both AJA system test and Blackmagic disk speed tests.

Write speeds are up near 400MB/s but struggling to break 190MB/s read. This is testing with write cache disabled so no false speed increases. Areca drivers and http GUI causing troubles so the cards is only configurable from the BIOS.

The exact same HDDs were getting even and consistent read and write speeds of 360MB/s when set up in my 2,1 mac pro with ATTO R348. That card was not working in this new machine when we tried it and could possibly have been damaged in the move. I had to purchase another card, this Areca 1213-4i.

Any suggestions for setting it up for more even performance between read/write??

I mainly edit uncompressed HD video files so read speeds are more important for me.

Thanks for any ideas!

Best regards,

Danny

Advertisement

Just to update:

Replaced faulty HDD, performance back to normal.

One thing to note, Blackmagic Disk Speed test is not a great benchmark for this Areca card.

The maximum file transfer size is 5GB, at this point the write speeds are still really high due to ram cache, and the read speeds have not hit their peak.

Results were around 500+ MB/s write and under 300MB/s read.

Aja system test is more accurate, transferring 16GB levels out to be about 390MB/s for both read and write.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DJenkins
      Hi guys, I've had someone working to put together a system for me over the last several weeks.
      I've now got the machine but as I've been putting it through it's paces we are discovering a few problems.

Just throwing some questions out there as we are both getting to the point of being quite frustrated and any help will be greatly appreciated!
      Now just to clarify, I didn't build this machine myself but have been helping to sort out quirks as they arise. I'm probably capable of trying out most fixes but anything a bit over my head I'll pass on to the builder to carry out. Just trying to save a bit of time if I can do some things my self seeing as the machine is at my place. We've also been at it pretty much full time for nearly 8 weeks.

These are the specs (any other info you need just ask & I will find out):
      EVGA SR-2 motherboard
      2 x 6 core Xeon 5679 3.2GHz (12 core/24 thread)
      32GB ECC RAM (4 x 8GB)
      GTX570 MSI twin frozr II
      OCZ Agitlity 3 240GB OSX system drive (6Gb/s data connection)
      OCZ Agitlity 3 120GB Windows system drive (6Gb/s data connection)
      Noctua DH14 coolers
      Ethernet adapter (PCI-E Slot 5)
      Areca 1213-4i RAID card (4x2TB WD black RAID 5) (PCI-E Slot 6)
      FireWire 800 adapter (PCI-E Slot 7)

Sleep and related performance issues
      I get pretty low geek bench scores of around 18,000 before sleep, which then go up to around 24,500 if the machine is put to sleep then woken up again. Cinebench CPU and GPU benchmarks also increase quite a lot post-sleep, OpenGL scores can be as low as 11fps pre-sleep and 30fps or more post-sleep. The scores are also not very consistent pre-sleep.

I am not able to wake the machine from sleep at all if any overclock settings are applied. I planned to run the machine permanently at a mild 3.6GHz but it enters a cycle of attempting to power on. Fans spin up for a few seconds, then it dies and repeats the process every 5 seconds or so.

It has also happened a few times with no over clock settings applied, when sometimes the fans spin permanently but nothing else happens.

Firewire is not detected/functioning before sleep but works after sleep.

BIOS Resetting
      Every time the machine fails to wake from sleep, or I need to restart the machine for any reason, the BIOS settings randomly reset. I need to go in and adjust the AHCI, power management settings etc. almost every time. Sometimes it will takes several attempts for the settings to stick before it will boot successfully.

So thanks for reading if you got this far, I believe this machine has great potential and really want to get it going!

I look forward to any responses!

Best regards,
      Danny