Firmware updates

Pippin

3 posts in this topic

New EFI and SMC firmware updates for Mac Pro and restoration update for iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Ok I have an iMac, should I download Firmware Restoration CD 1.1? I haven't noticed any changes since I installed the last firmware update (I don't install Windows on my Mac). Why Apple wants us to restore the firmware? Is there anything wrong?

That is odd. Perhaps they realised that turning the MacBook fans on all the time isnt enough to stop the thermal assembly melting, so they're giving people the option of going back to the uber-silent firmware. presumably only for those with the updated thermal assembly :D

According to the release notes, this isn't useful for those of us who have already updated the firmware:

This update is used to restore the firmware of an Intel-based iMac (early & mid 2006), Mac mini (early 2006), MacBook Pro (early 2006), Mac Book (early 2006), or Mac Pro (mid 2006) to original factory condition.

It can only be used to restore the Firmware after an interrupted or failed update. [emphasis mine]

See also: docs.info.apple.com