Windows and bootcamp

RTA

7 posts in this topic

Alright, long story cut short. I have a Macbook Pro that was given to me by a buddy, whose only request was to format the drive. Did so. Took out the re-install disk...and found it broken down the middle. Contacted Apple, was told since I wasn't the owner, they wouldn't send me a new disk. Finally downloaded Leopard and put it on the computer. Got bootcamp, split it up into two partitions, installed Windows XP. After using Leopard for a week or two, i've found it so unstable that I can't actively use it as my primary OS. Sadly, even Windows is better. To that point, i'd like to be able to non-destructively reformat my harddrive, get rid of the OS X partition and merge it into the Windows partition, so I don't have the wasted space from Leopard. If anyone has advice, it'd be much appreciated..thanks. 

Well, yes, more or less at least. But, will I be able to merge the two (XP and blank ) partitions afterwards to regain the free space? As for having my buddy request at my behest, not possible. He gave me his MBP 'cause he's shipped off to Iraq. Haven't talked to him since, and if I do, asking him to call Apple is the last thing I would do. :blink:

Actually, that was the first thing I thought of. Maybe I was just in a hurry, but it wouldn't let me actually -resize- the partition, just delete it and merge, so it was just the OS X partition. In the end, I decided to simply back up and re-install. A pain, but in the end...thanks for the help, guys. One last question, if any one can answer it- I'm not really a Windows guy, so i'm not sure of the inner-workings. I screwed up my partitions so I couldn't boot into either OS X or Windows (would go to the Windows XP startup screen, then freeze and or reset, just to the grey apple when booting OS X), so I loaded the computer into firewire and simply copied the entire contents of the C directory to an external drive. Once I get XP reinstalled, is it possible to simply copy the old files back to the new partition? IE, overwrite the newly written ones with the old ones? Or will I run into funny Windows registration issues and the like? Thanks again guys.