Dell D505 Install probs

DeeEmm

22 posts in this topic

I've been struggling for a while now tring to get osx installed on my Dell Latitude D505.

I've tried a number of different 'installation dvd's' :( with varied results.

Best results so far have been with the jas 10.4.6 iso - initially the graphics were garbled which i fixed by updating the bios frm A05 to A09. now I can get the installer all the way to installing essentials but it bombs out when it starts to write to disc.

I've searched on this problem and most responses I hae found point to a corrupt image, however - the image verify in nero says the image is okay after I've burned it, the dvd verification as part of the installation doesn't show any errors, I've even tried updating the firmware in my dvd burner and burning at decreased speeds - but still the same problem occurs.

Has anyone got any ideas? I know that others have had success with the D505 and 10.4.6 is there something I'm missing?

I'm trying a native install on a fresh Hard drive

The machine has a Pentium M processor (sse2)

With thanks in advance.

DM

but it bombs out when it starts to write to disc.

I'm trying a native install on a fresh Hard drive

What software did you use to set up the hard drive? The drive needs to be set up with the Windows MBR scheme. Disk Utility, at least the one on the install DVD, won't set up the disk in the MBR scheme. You should use a Windows disk/partition utility or Linux disk/partition utility to set up the drive. Format the whole drive as FAT32. Then when you start the OSX installation, go to Disk Utility and on the left, select the only partition - not the hard drive (the partition is listed below the hard drive) and format (erase) the partition as MacOS Extended Journaled.

I used a fresh unformatted disc and then used the disk utility within the installer to 'format' the disk to mac os journalled.

I will try reformatting the drive using partition magic to fat32 and giving that a go.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

DM.

Indeed there was no master boot record, Interestingly partition magic would do nothing with the drive - it was highlighted yellow and marked as 'BAD', in the end I used a linux boot disc to reformat the drive as fat32 and restore the MBR.

I then used the disc utility durin installation to 'erase' the fat 32 partition and reformat it as mac os journalled but the installation still hangs at exactly the same point.

I guess that although there was no MBR, this wasn't the problem.

Any further ideas?

DM.

OK,

I've checked the install log - it says the following

bomfatalerror - cpio read error: bad file format

install failed: some files for essentials may not have been written correctly.

From the searches I have done on this topic most still seem to point at a bad disc image.

The CRC32 checksum is $82010b35 can anyone tell me is this is correct for the JAS 10.4.6 iso ?

With thanks in advance.

DM.

OK,

I'm now burning a new disc on the missus's mac book - I mounted the iso image and then dragged everything to a burn folder, it's just verifying now. Hopefully this should eliminate any prroblems with the disk (if there were any).

I'll keep you posted.

DM.

LOL - just discovered that when I got to work and tried it :sorcerer:

Ahh well..... back to the drawing board I guess.

So please excuse my ignorance (I am new to using a mac) can I burn this iso using the inbuilt burn function or will I need a program like toast to do it?

Thanks for the help Rammjet.

Couldn't quite figure out how to burn using disk util but found out how to do it on the command line from a google - so just in case it's of any use to anyone else -

Change directory to where your image is stored

hdiutil burn yourimagename.iso

Wait till it's done. :P

DM.

When you open Disk Utility, there is a big ass yellow and black Burn icon in the upper left.

Click it.

LOL - I'll try that next time.

The image burned fine using the command line, verified ok too. But guess what - the installation still falls over as soon as it tries to write to disk when installing essentials.

:)

Anyone else experienced this or have anything I can try?

Any other Dell users here successfully installed with the jas 10.4.6 iso? If not what version did you have success with??

I want to avoid having to download another image - I've tried 4 different ones now and it really sucks at 2kbs D/L speed.

Hi Rammjet, thanks for taking the time to follow my thread - your time + help is much appreciated.

I chose the 10.4.6.Combo.Update + Intel.SSE2 + Wireless + Sigma Audio.

Should be right for my machine -

Pentium Mobile / 855GME Chipset / 1Gb Ram / Seagate 120Gb HDD

Have also tried installing same choices in various combinations -

Intel.SSE2

Update + Intel.SSE2

Update + Intel.SSE2 + Sigma Audio

Update + Intel.SSE2 + Wireless

All end up with the same result

;)

The memory and the HDD are the only non stock items - unfortunately I don't have the originals to swap back in to try.

One thing I have noticed that may or may not be of any consequence (but I remember reading about somehere in the forums that it could be a prob) is that the HDD controller is Ultra-ATA/100 - I have tried installing with the ATA patch - again it has same results.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers.

DM.

Hey DeeEmm,

Do you get full color on your display ??

I got a Dell D500 and all I get is garbage black and white. The installer does through and installs (and does it pretty fast actually!), but you can't make out anything on the display.

Now what ISO did you use ?

Thanks

Hey DeeEmm,

Do you get full color on your display ??

I got a Dell D500 and all I get is garbage black and white. The installer does through and installs (and does it pretty fast actually!), but you can't make out anything on the display.

Now what ISO did you use ?

Thanks

I also had the graphics problem initially - I fixed it by updating my bios - my old bios was version A05 - The latest one I found was A09. It's easy to update - it's simply an exe file - run the file - it will reboot your pc and viola - all done.

Go to the Dell site and follow the links to the download section for your laptop - then choose flash bios updates - make sure it's the right one for your laptop though.

I downloaded mine from this site - http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/lofive....php/t7024.html although the Dell site is probably better - http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...;l=en&s=dhs

Hope this helps.

DM.

OK - Think I'm gonna admit defeat with this ISO - :( I've downloaded 3 different versions of 10.4.6 and each have a different problem. 10.4.4 wasn't any different either. Can't think of anything else to try to get this to work and can't find any other pointers on the web of things to try.

Found a 10.4.7 version which I'm gonna give a go - well I will in another 6 days 13 hours when it's downloaded - lol.

In the mean time, might try to have a go at making an install DVD from the bits of other DVD's I have.....

I'll keep you posted

DM.

• 4 months later...

Trying to install OS X on my friends laptop because he's saving for a black ibook. He has a dell d505 too.

Got the jas 10.4.7 dvd witch worked fine on my acer, but the installer won't load on the dell. Just shows the gray screen with apple logo. Read about alot of people who had this problem and had to use other techniques to install it (like via network) because boot from dvd doen't work so...

How accactly did you install os X on your d505?

Please help would be appreciated.

greets

• 2 months later...

also having issues. used the 10.4.8 dvd and it booted and installed just fine. but when it reboots, the video freezes before setup starts and stays stuck with the gray background with the apple logo and the spinner thing stops. but the music starts, and if i hit escape, the voice over for vision impaired folks starts, so i know its working but is just a video issue. if i boot with with -v i see a couple lines that say VID: family specific matching fails.

• 1 month later...
also having issues. used the 10.4.8 dvd and it booted and installed just fine. but when it reboots, the video freezes before setup starts and stays stuck with the gray background with the apple logo and the spinner thing stops. but the music starts, and if i hit escape, the voice over for vision impaired folks starts, so i know its working but is just a video issue. if i boot with with -v i see a couple lines that say VID: family specific matching fails.

Same thing here. Video stalls at roughly the same point. Everything else seems to be running in the background.

verbose indicates the VID issue and then loads loginwindow and can't find airport.

Looks like the last OS install that worked was 10.4.6. The kext referenced in other posts is no longer in the Extensions folder.

you said "I edited AppleIntelInternalGraphics.kext/Contents/Info.plist to get the graphics working. Change the IOPCIMatch string to 0x35828086."

When loading, it now tries to use the AppleIntel915.kext. I don't know if the old kext could be dropped into 10.4.8 or what. You first need to get the kext. This notebook uses the 852GM/852GME/855GM/855GME graphics chip.

I'm going to try 10.4.6.

OK, I have a few answers.

For those that have the grey graphics, you need to increase the graphics memory in the BIOS to 8MB.

When you install 10.4.8, do not install the GMA9XX drivers in Commonly Supported Hardware package. If you did, I would assume you could boot in to safe mode and sudo rm them from the /System/Library/Extensions.

Worked for me. I am now running 10.4.8. I'm still working on getting the wireless to work, but other than that not too bad.