Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sam Clark

HD 6770 flashed to HD 5770 - Black Screen on Boot

2 posts in this topic

I flashed my Asus EAH-6770 to an HD 5770 Device ID, keeping my Subvendor ID as ASUS. When I go to install Lion, whether I boot in verbose or normal mode, the screen always goes black after the Apple logo. How can I fix this?

Are you using a graphics enabler? If so, which framebuffer are you injecting?

Out of personal curiosity, couldn't you have just kept your original 6770 BIOS and injected a 5770 BIOS at boot time using the AtiRom switch with the ROM in the /Extra folder named as "1002_67xx_<subven_id>.rom ?

The 6770 has been pretty much hit or miss from what I've been reading. I've a 6770M and have gotten a framebuffer to load but I'm at a point where I need to go in and modify the sense_id in the ATI6000controller.kext in order to get the output to show on my laptop display (right now the display through HDMI comes out garbled).

Perhaps all you need to do is try attaching a monitor to any other display connection on your card. If that works, then it's just a matter of modifying the sense id in which case you'd be in business.