Problems booting from hard drive

jadoo1989

6 posts in this topic

I installed OS X 10.7.2 and updated it to 10.7.4. I have a fully functional installation except for one problem: I can't get any boot loaders to work!

What I've tried so far:

- Installation with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

- Installation with both Chimera and Chameleon installers

- Manual installation of both Chimera and Chameleon

The problem:

I have tried the several different methods listed above with no luck. Nothing is being detected on my hard drive at boot up. I don't even get any errors such as the infamous boot0 error. It's as if all the file changes I've made both with the installer and manually just aren't taking. I can't seem to find any solution to this. Has anyone encountered such a problem before?

Verify that it's not something you're doing wrong during the installation process:

Take any old USB flash drive and try installing Chameleon to it. It's no different from installing to a hard drive.

Now try to boot from it - does that work for you?

Nope, didn't work. the machine tells me to 'remove media to continue" when the flash drive is inserted. I assuming that means it's not finding a bootable partition. Tried it on another computer and it didn't work either.

I used the guide located at http://www.insanelym...howtopic=164809 and changed instructions to match my disk number and partition number, but it seems like it's just not working.

For the record, here is the output of diskutil list.

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.5 TB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS MAC OS X 200.0 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS Files 1.3 TB disk0s3

I originally thought that it might be because my boot partition was larger than 1TB. So, as you can see in the above table, I made the boot partition smaller to see if that'd help. It didn't.

I did that in the previous steps - still didn't work.

Funny thing, I got the idea that perhaps if I installed ubuntu, I could get a little crafty and try to springboard off of GRUB. Weird thing is, even after running the Ubuntu installer, even GRUB isn't detected and says there's no bootable HD. It seems that this problem isn't exclusive to just OSx86 for me, apparently my hard drive or BIOS hates boot loaders?

I currently can only access OS X by the external USB hard drive that I used to install the OS with.

I just wanted to update it and say I fixed the problem. I have seen several cases where people with similar systems to mine have had the same issue and I seem to be the first to have figured out what the cause was. I noticed that I couldn't get any boot loader to work for my thumb drive or the hard drive I installed OSX on. This was curious to me as I was able to use Chimera from the USB drive that I installed Lion with. I began to think about what could be different to try and isolate the problem and it occurred to me that all the drives I couldn't make work were partitioned GPT, and the only drive that worked, the installation drive, was MBR.

It seems that some component of my system simply does not like GPT. It refused to load any sort of boot loader whatsoever while my disk was partitioned using it. On a whim, I decided to try and install with MBR. I downloaded the patch to allow lion to be installed on MBR and then manually installed Chimera, and it worked!

I'm not sure why the GPT is causing issues for me. If anyone knows what might've been the cause, I'd be interested in finding out as it took me a week to get Lion properly bootable.