Can't boot XP after OS X installation. Partition Table?

Infamous

5 posts in this topic

Ok my config was like this:

partiton 1 : NTFS XP (active)

partiton 2 : NTFS Data

partition 3: FAT32 empty

disk_utility_insanelymac_shot.png

---

Installed OS X on partition 3 (erased FAT 32 and set Mac HFS+ Journaled).

OS X didn't boot after installation, so i set the third partition active and now it works.

But now i can't boot XP, even if i set the active partition to XP. Black screen with blinking command line cursor. Nothing happens.

Partition table is MBR (Master Boot Record), not GUID, so it's Windows compatible.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Run XP installation CD and when done loading drivers, press R.

Select 1) when prompted and it will ask you for the admin password.

Enter it.

When at the next command prompt, type: FIXMBR

When asked yes or no, hit YES.

Boot to Windows.

Once rebooted and back into Windows, you can use a program like Partition Magic or go to START, RUN, diskpart and set the OSX as active.

After that, OSX bootloader (Darwin) should see all OSes.

Once back in OSX edit your bootloader to a longer timeout.

That should just about do it for you.

Thank you, really appreciated.

That is exactly what I was thinking myself that I need to do. But I was not sure if fixing the MBR in XP Recovery console doesn't break booting of OS X.

Any explanation why it won't break it? Does OS X store all it's "needed boot informations" on its own partition? Can i write new windows MBR and not harm the other OS?

And what about FIXBOOT command?

Well, I just want to understand what I'm actually doing, not only following the guide, so I can resolve the troubles later if anything happens.

But I was not sure if fixing the MBR in XP Recovery console doesn't break booting of OS X.

Any explanation why it won't break it? Does OS X store all it's "needed boot informations" on its own partition? Can i write new windows MBR and not harm the other OS?

The MBR is not a by-partition thing. It is for the whole disk. OSX on a Hackintosh uses MBR as a partition method just like Windows. That is why Windows utilities are used to partition the hard drive.

Fixing the MBR causes the utility to rewrite the MBR data but keeps the partitions intact. It will not hurt your OSX installation. In fact, in OSX, you can use the Terminal to do the same thing: fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0 (where rdisk0 is for the 1st hard drive, rdisk1 is the 2nd, etc).

Well I did what you guys said, but I still can not boot XP. Darwin loader offers to bood the NTFS partition(s).

But the NTLDR ends up with the message that it can not find ntoskrnl.exe. The reason it can't find is, that the partition table is unreadable by NTLDR. When i run Partition Magic 8, or Recovery Console, they read the drive as "error, 130GB unformatted". Only more advanced tools can read the correct partition structure. (Ranish / Gparted).

Maybe it does not work with NTFS and HFS+ on the same drive?