Still waiting for root device, but different.

colemancb

7 posts in this topic

Okay, so, I installed 10.4.7 using the JaS ISO and the AMD Enabler and all that jazz. It runs in VMWare fine using my physical disk, but when I try a native boot, I get the "Still waiting for root device..." error. I used the nForce patch and everything in the installer, and in VMWare it runs great, with sound, ethernet, everything, but in a native boot, nothing.

Any suggestions?

Actually I think I pressed 'Intel SSL3' (because the guide i was following for AMD said so), but would that make a difference in finding my disks? Boots in VMWare fine, I thought it may have been because I only had the one optical drive, so I disabled my secondary in the BIOS before native booting, and still the same error.

I installed the AMD Combo Update, Intel SSL3 (I think), AMD.Kernel, VIA.Sata.ATA

I just don't see why it would boot in VMWare but not nativly, like how that SSL3 package would make a difference in the way I boot.

But, I can try installing it again without that package.

ok i get the same message but i'm a little worse off. i havent been able to get the setup running. i have 10.4.4 and i just get that massage "still waiting for root device" and then the computer does nothing, it freezes, i cant even get the setup started. I've used the same cd on my desktop and it worked fine. ANY HELP???

yeah, that's prolly a SATA issue. I managed to work around it through VMWare, but there's no point really. I mean, it runs fine on VMWare, but it just won't boot otherwise.

Even more interesting. I booted on safe mode, and it worked! but... my keyboard and mouse weren't working (i guess cuz they're USB)