Lion installs, but doesn't boot [freeze at apple's logo]

castrobaldin

28 posts in this topic

Hi everybody

So I have a notebook from Megaware (Meganote) I don't know his model but I know its specs:

6gb RAM, 500gb HDD, Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, chipset Sandy Bridge(I guess) mobo from CLEVO.

I successfully installed iATKOS L2 10.7.2 on my notebook but it doesn't boot, it freezes at apple logo with a thing spinning. It stops spinning and nothing happens.

In boot with -v it shows me something like:

"ACPI_SMC .... applepowermanagement timed out

DSMOS Has Arrived"

So, what can the problem be, how can I solve it ?

Please, I really need help on this ;DD Thanks.

1. If you stop at DSMOS has arrived, then usually it is the graphics that are interfering. To get around that, temporarily uninstall the graphics drivers by putting them into a folder we'll call IntelBack.

Boot in single-user mode (-s).

When you see the prompt "root:"

Type:  mount -uw /
Type:  cd /System/Library/Extensions
Type:  mkdir IntelBack
Type:  mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelSNB* IntelBack/

reboot using flags -v -f

2. A solution to your graphics problem involves having the correct smbios.plist in the /Extra folder. The correct smbios.plist depends upon the device id of your graphics device.

Download the program System Information: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=219584

If your graphics device has a device id of 0112, then you need a smbios.plist for a MacBookPro8,1. If your device id is 0116, then you need MacBookPro8,3

Download the utility Champlist: http://tools.inmac.org/

Use the SMBios tab to allow you to select which smbios.plist you need to install.

3. Once you have the correct smbios.plist installed, you can reinstall your graphics drivers (kexts).

Download Kext Helper from the bottom of this page: http://cheetha.net/

To use Kext Helper, double-click it to open it. Drag the kexts to the upper window. Type your password in the lower field. Then click the "EASY INSTALL" button.

The files you need to install using Kext Helper can be found in the folder /System/Library/Extensions/IntelBack

Once you have reinstalled them, reboot -v -f.

• Like 1

Just a question

The 2. part about smbios.plist. I need to do these steps after I boot to the OS X following the steps 1. ?

Yeah something I forgot to say: Intel HD Graphics 3000

EDIT: I booted in -s but my keyboard just doesn't work, it doesn't write anything.

Edited by castrobaldin

let us know the device ID of your HD3000 (you can find it in windows or a linux live disk - its simple google is your friend)

Once you let us know wether its a 0112 or 0116 then I can provide you with the smbios you need and you can install it using one line in the terminal in the iatkos installer (which i'll tell you when i hear back).

Then theres no need to mess about with the rest.

• Like 1

Ok we're almost there. I booted following the Step 1 from @rlf but I have no internet connection (wired/wireless) so I couldn't follow the steps to configure it. How can I proceed with it ? like, finding what are my specs, what kexts I need and so on ?

Other thing, my trackpad and keyboard doesn't work too, I have to plug my usb ones on it so I can do anything.

Again thank you very much for helping me ;D

Ok sorry for the double post.

I ran System Info on the notebook and the VGA Info is this:

Ven ID: 8086

Vendor: Intel Corporation

Dev ID:0116

Device: 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller

Class: Display Controller

Subclass: BGA Compaible Controller

Thats it. If you guys want the other information it may be helpful, to find out the kexts for my network, trackpad, keyboard and others.

Ok we're almost there. I booted following the Step 1 from @rlf but I have no internet connection (wired/wireless) so I couldn't follow the steps to configure it.

What do you mean by " so I couldn't follow the steps to configure it". You don't need any internet to complete step 1.

You need internet to download the app in step 2. What computer are you using to read/write to this forum? Do you have a USB flash drive or hard drive? Download the program on this computer and transfer it over using a flash drive or hard drive. Or are you dual booting the same computer? OSX can read PC drives. Download while booted to PC and then copy over the app when you boot the Mac side. If you have two computers, download on one computer and connect them via ethernet and transfer the app over using ethernet - computer to computer.

• Like 1

Yeah I did this, I downloaded system info here on my desktop and transfered it to the notebook, so I wrote here the specs above. I downloaded the champlist and transfered to the notebook. Now I don't know what to do. I'm on the SMBios Tab and selected the MacbookPro8,3 since my VGA Dev ID is 0116.

So I selected the option, what do i do now ? save ? as ? open ?

EDIT: Sorry, to be more clear, I stopped at the end of the Step 2. I don't know how to install it, I just selected the option MacbookPro 8,3 17" on the SMBios tab.

If you run Champlist on OSX, select SMBios tab, select MacBookPro8,3 and then press Save and it should save it to the Extra folder for you.

You can verify it by going to /Extra on the root drive and seeing that it is there.

• Like 1

Ok so now I am capable of reach my desktop and do anything, but now here comes the problems.

I already did steps 1 to 3 and everything went fine. But my graphics seems not to work yet. My resolution is still 1024x768 very buggy. My trackpad, keyboard, audio, wired and wireless internet doesn't work. So what do I do now to get everything working ? If needed I can put here everything that is shown on the System Info app. (it may help)

Please, it's almost finished, just teach me how can I do this.

Thank you so much.

Yes, a picture of the System Info app would be helpful. Not sure what to do about video except a lot of trial and error and only a small hope of success.

For trackpad and keyboard, try this: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jpmcbvxw70hxdy9 Download and install using Kext Helper.

For audio, do you have Windows on the machine? Sound is made from two chips. System Info identifies one chip. But the codec chip I only know how to get from Windows.

For wired and wireless, need the info from System Info.

• Like 1

The kexts you gave me for trackpad and keyboard worked fine Thanks ;DD

Here is the screenshot from the System Info app

5nklmp.png

EDIT: Since the new update 10.7.4 is out, can you help me updating it and install the proper kexts ? Because I would update and it may break everything we have made until now.

Get yourself an AR9285 wi-fi card off ebay - it won't cost you more than a fiver and you should be able to swap it for yours which will require no more effort than removing a few screws.

If you still have no graphics then use chameleon wizard (google it!) to install the smbios from a mac pro 8.3 (this will be self explanatory once you run the wizard - again, google it!) which will give you graphics support.

If you don't fancy the wireless card swap I can confirm the asus n-10 usb wifi card will work with the aftermarket utility you can find hanging around the internet but I would strongly suggest changing your wifi card.

Also voodoohda will most likely cause you kernel panics,especially if you haven't removed applehda & set your system to keep kernel cache...

• Like 1

Yeah I'll probably buy a usb wifi card. But about the graphics, I already installed the smbios Macbook Pro 8.3 with Champlist

I can confirm it is working because it shows me a macbook pro on the system info "About This Mac".

I installed the kexts for HD Graphics but it still doesn't work. Sound is working good, is a little bit low, but its working.

The only problem now is the graphics. About the wireless I'll search about usb wifi cards or only wifi cards that is confirmed to work with my settings.

Again thank you guys you helped me a lot ;DD but I'm still stuck at the graphics problem so please help ;D

EDIT: So I have conditions to buy the asus n-10 usb. I live in brasil. I just need you guys to confirm me that the problem with my graphics have a solution.

I just need you guys to confirm me that the problem with my graphics have a solution.

If I had a solution, I would give it to you. So, no I cannot confirm a solution. I have been working with 2 other people with HD3000 graphics. One has had no problem getting his to work. The other we have tried everything and he is stuck at one resolution with grey lines on the screen. He is about to abandon OSX and go back to Windows. I do not have a laptop, only a desktop and I won't buy a laptop with HD3000 graphics because of all the problems. The rule of thumb with a hackintosh is check all of your hardware BEFORE you buy it. Don't buy it and then try to force OSX onto it.

About sound, go to the System Preferences and find the VoodooHDA preference pane and make adjustments. Also, go to /Application/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup and make adjustments.

• Like 2

Ok then.

I guess I can consider this topic SUCCESS because you helped me a lot, from a not booting osx, to a almost complete hackintosh.

Thank you guys a lot.

EDIT; For some reason, graphics seems to work now, resolution 1366x768 everything is smooth, it says Unknown Graphics at the "about this mac" but the resoution and everything is working. Only missing Internet.

EDIT2: To get the graphics working, what I did was:

-Install SMBios macbookpro 8.3

-Reset -v -f

-Install my kexts for HD Graphics

-Reset -v -f

-Then here is the secret, it will not work yet, so you have to download this http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2187

-Install all these kexts with Kext Helper or Kext Utility

-Reset -v -f

-It should be working now

I guess I should create another topic only for the internet issue. But if you can help me here it would be better. I am going to buy the asus n-10 usb adapter. After I buy it, what do I have to do to get my internet working ? Also, will it only work for wireless internet ?

Really thanks.

I am going to buy the asus n-10 usb adapter. After I buy it, what do I have to do to get my internet working ? Also, will it only work for wireless internet ?

The adapter will come with its own software that you run. It does not use the built-in Wifi in OSX. It is wireless only.

• Like 1

Ok thanks man, I'm going to buy it.

And just a little question, to finish :D is there any other configuration /kexts I need to provide ? Like dual display (doesn't detect my hdmi tv output) battery going away faster, I don't have the eject button on my top bar, and maybe some other things that I still don't know but I may be missing.

castro, you realize if you purchase a Broadcom or Atheros Mini-PCIe card or USB dongle you can get native OS X support. :) You can even get an authentic AirPort PCIe card.

For dual-display, what are you using to enable graphics? That will determine method.

For battery, are you using NullCPUPowerManagement? Look in /Extra/Extensions.

For the Eject button, that's an option. Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/MenuExtras/ and double-click eject.menu.

• Like 1

Im using macbookpro 8,3 smbios + my own kexts for HD Graphics 3000 + the kexts for HD Graphics 3000 from this site http://www.osx86.net...do=file&id=2187

I only found the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext into System > Library > Extensions.

My extra folder only have Keymaps, Modules, chameleon.boot.plist, smbios.plist and Themes.

About the eject button, thanks it worked :D

And other thing I only noticed right now, when I select a folder and press Enter to enter it, it functions as Rename instead of enter. Does it have something with my keyboard ? Since I'm from Brasil, my keyboard layout is ABNT2.

Oh I almost forgot, about the multitouch trackpad, sometimes it gets a little crazy. Is it possible to have the same functions as a original macbook pro ?

About the internet, I will buy a usb dongle for the moment, since my notebook has only 3 weeks and have a 2 Years guarantee.

Sorry for my bad english btw

The enter key problem is not an error; it seems to happen on my US MacBook and hack. I think that the default for the Enter key is to rename rather than enter. To enter a folder via a keyboard you can use Command-O (or Alt-O on a Windows keyboard; try Windows key-O, too).

For your trackpad, is it PS/2 or USB? If it is PS/2, I have a package to enable basic trackpad settings (like a non-MultiTouch MacBook Pro), if it is USB I believe you can mod the MultiTouch kext to enable the gestures. Check in the Windows Device Manager.

For your dongle, see if you can find a Broadcom or Atheros one. :)

• Like 1